Gibson Brands Forums

Is “Burst” a Model?

tru

I saw a listing that read Gibson J-45 Burst

I understand “burst/sunburst” as in conversation, about the paint job, but is it an actual word in model names? Is this person accurate in their titling of item for sale?

No, I mean would the word BURST be on the soundhole sticker?

When someone sells a guitar they’ll usually type Gibson J-45 Standard ... or Gibson J-45 True Vintage.

This guy typed “2014 Gibson J-45 Burst”

Im asking if thats an actual name or just some poetic license on the seller’s part?

8 minutes ago, tru said:

No, I mean would the word BURST be on the soundhole sticker?

When someone sells a guitar they’ll usually type Gibson J-45 Standard ... or Gibson J-45 True Vintage.

This guy typed “2014 Gibson J-45 Burst”

Im asking if thats an actual name or just some poetic license on the seller’s part?

Its a Marketing Gibson  thing.   

18 hours ago, tru said:

What model is this? https://reverb.com/item/33241480-gibson-j-45-2014-burst
Is the person listing this just a wing nut, or am I missing something?

If you're talking about the "Heritage Cherry" from Fuller's, it is probably one of their custom runs, which they periodically commission from Gibson.

"Cherry" may seem misleading, but that look is intended to reflect the look  of one of Gibson's early cherrybusts after a couple of years of UV exposure. The red dye Gibson used for a few years in the early/mid 1960's was very unstable, and the original cherry color eventually faded out to look much like you see in the photo, with little or no obvious trace of red. 

Sometimes these are called an "iced tea" burst.

It is a bit confusing, since "Heritage cherry" with regard to Gibson electric models such as the ES-335 is typically, but not always, a bright red color.  My '59 ES-335 re-issue from the Nashville Historic shop is called Heritage Cherry, and it's bright red.

7 minutes ago, j45nick said:

If you're talking about the "Heritage Cherry" from Fuller's, it is probably one of their custom runs, which they periodically commission from Gibson.

"Cherry" may seem misleading, but that look is intended to reflect the look  of one of Gibson's early cherrybusts after a couple of years of UV exposure. The red dye Gibson used for a few years in the early/mid 1960's was very unstable, and the original cherry color eventually faded out to look much like you see in the photo, with little or no obvious trace of red. 

Sometimes these are called an "iced tea" burst.

It is a bit confusing, since "Heritage cherry" with regard to Gibson electric models such as the ES-335 is typically, but not always, a bright red color.  My '59 ES-335 re-issue from the Nashville Historic shop is called Heritage Cherry, and it's bright red.

I don't know what I'm talking about, however, the link I shared is what prompted me to ask this initial question. The person is calling this a "2014 Gibson J-45 Burst," not using any words such as STANDARD, CUSTOM, etc. I simply want to know what model that guitar is, and if the seller is using his wording in an official/appropriate manner.

15 minutes ago, tru said:

I don't know what I'm talking about, however, the link I shared is what prompted me to ask this initial question. The person is calling this a "2014 Gibson J-45 Burst," not using any words such as STANDARD, CUSTOM, etc. I simply want to know what model that guitar is, and if the seller is using his wording in an official/appropriate manner.

Sorry, but that link takes me to an entire page on Reverb, so I'm not sure which of the guitars on that page you are referencing.