Gibson Brands Forums

Guitars matching

BeHappy

Hello everyone! 🤗

I’m considering a new Gibson Acoustic that can be a good complement to my J15.

I use to record a lot of acoustic music so I would like to find a good dreadnought that fits well with my jumbo when I put them in the same arrangement.

Hummingbird, Songwriter, Dove? 

Thank you!

My vote would be for a Dove. However you need to play the guitars & make the final decision.  Impossible for anyone to know what sounds, & appeals to you. We can only tell you what we like. If you can try these guitars it would be most helpful. I know that’s often hard to do. You can’t go wrong with any of the ones you’ve mentioned. I’ve owned all 3 at various times. I still have the Dove.

55 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Your J-15 is walnut, and I think the 3 you mentioned all have different wood. Hog, RW and Maple. You care about new or used. Doves and Birds new are not to easy on the wallet.

Yes they all have different wood, I’m wondering which would be the most interesting match with walnut. 
I’ll get a new one, natural finish. 
I don’t need to be warned about the price, I got a J15 because I definitely prefer its sound over that of J45, not for a matter of price.

49 minutes ago, Paul14 said:

My vote would be for a Dove. However you need to play the guitars & make the final decision.  Impossible for anyone to know what sounds, & appeals to you. We can only tell you what we like. If you can try these guitars it would be most helpful. I know that’s often hard to do. You can’t go wrong with any of the ones you’ve mentioned. I’ve owned all 3 at various times. I still have the Dove.

I played a Dove and it’s great. But I found maple to be very similar to walnut: quick decay, very dynamic, mid forward, granulate top end... Maybe a mahogany would make a better carpet for my walnut to sit on.

29 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

I played a Dove and it’s great. But I found maple to be very similar to walnut: quick decay, very dynamic, mid forward, granulate top end... Maybe a mahogany would make a better carpet for my walnut to sit on.

Maybe. I sold my Hummingbird because I liked my J-45 more. We’re all different when it comes to this stuff.  I’ve gone out to by a specific guitar, & ended up buying something totally different. You might want to just go play some guitars. You might get surprised!

2 hours ago, Murph said:

I have a J-15 and a J-45 Rosewood/ebony. 

I like having the same scale length on my stuff. Keeps me more accurate on long slides and stuff.

I have a J-45 Rosewood too. Your idea is a good one. I love mine.

17 hours ago, BeHappy said:

Hello everyone! 🤗

I’m considering a new Gibson Acoustic that can be a good complement to my J15.

I use to record a lot of acoustic music so I would like to find a good dreadnought that fits well with my jumbo when I put them in the same arrangement.

Hummingbird, Songwriter, Dove? 

Thank you!

Asking a question like this of others is pointless. There will be no consensus of opinion, and everyone will naturally suggest their favorite guitar, and you will be no further ahead.

Go to a reputable music store and play a variety of guitars (including non-Gibson brands) until you find one whose sound you like. Then you'll have the correct answer to your question.

RBSinTo

12 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Asking a question like this of others is pointless. There will be no consensus of opinion, and everyone will naturally suggest their favorite guitar, and you will be no further ahead.

Go to a reputable music store and play a variety of guitars (including non-Gibson brands) until you find one whose sound you like. Then you'll have the correct answer to your question.

RBSinTo

... depending on the age and type of strings....

3 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

... depending on the age and type of strings....

And exactly how will everyone's personal favorite opinion help with your variable?

Walk into a guitar store and let them smell the smoldering wad of cash in your pocket, and I'll bet if they know you're a shopper and not a browser,  they'll slap whatever strings you want on any guitar for you to try.

RBSinTo

43 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

RBSinTo

I would agree with you if my question was "which is better". I asked which dread would blend well with a walnut jumbo, based on your experiences. I've went many times to my local music store, played bird and dove, not the songwriter tho. 

21 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

I would agree with you if my question was "which is better". I asked which dread would blend well with a walnut jumbo, based on your experiences. I've went many times to my local music store, played bird and dove, not the songwriter tho. 

BeHappy,

My "blending" could very well be different from yours, as it is a subjective quality. So again, to my mind, only you can answer this question based on playing a variety of instruments until you find one that meets your criteria.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo

20 hours ago, uncle fester said:

I vote bird

I'm inclined to go with the bird. 

Anyway I realized that the Songwriter is a rosewood Hummingbird Artist. I'll wait till I can try it then I'll make my choice.

8977_bbb.jpg