Gibson Brands Forums

Material: Nut, Pins, Saddle

tru

Yeahhhh....that thread spikes many of my talking points, but it does not address the direct question.

plus...nobody wants to wade through the quagmire of the never-ending-posted-topic that you pinned.

Sound is in the ears of the beholder,  Ive been using Antique Acoustics for years and really like them.

But I think  ( see above )  that solid pins work better than slotted. I changed all the slotted pins on my guitars

over the years I got tired of seeing curled up pins on my guitars that  I paid a lot of money for.......IMHO

I have found mammoth ivory (it really isn't truly fossilized) to be too soft and gets grooves in the saddles quite easily.

I prefer bone saddles and nuts (elephant ivory if original to the guitar).

For bridge pins, solid unslotted pins fit properly with a slotted bridge plate.  

Antique Acoustic from Willi and Rudy in Germany or Waverly from Stew Mac.  I have found proper fit is more important than material when it comes to pins.

Agree with going to Bob Colosi for saddle advice. Most likely to tell you bone is the way to go. I got my bone saddle from Bob for my Hummingbird and Eastman. It was a big improvement to both. Also my HD28 has pins and saddle from Bob he is the best.

i have a bone nut and saddle in my TV... and Antique Acoustic plastic pins. sounds great.

i have tusq saddle and Gibson plastic pins in my J45 Studio.  sounds great.

i have ebony pins and bone nut and saddle in my Martin D15. sounds great.

Experiment  have some fun.

🙂