Gibson Brands Forums

Is Gibson issuing COA's for 2020 ES guitars.

There does not seem to be a means of asking these types of questions on their web site.

Good question.  More like for what models will they issue COAs.  Unless they change something, it would be the same as before in Nashville: Yes, Custom Shop, no for USA.  And that would of course mean that now only some of the ES models will come with them, and those would be the Custom Shop models.  I would expect this, but anything is possible.

• Like 1

I queried Gibson customer support and what follows is the extremely detailed, well thought out, and informative reply  </sarc>

Hi,

The Gibson USA made ES models do not come with COA's. Thanks.

Jon

Customer Service

Gibson Brands, Inc.

1-800-4GIBSON
service@gibson.com

37 minutes ago, gampadoug said:

I queried Gibson customer support and what follows is the extremely detailed, well thought out, and informative reply  </sarc>

Hi,

The Gibson USA made ES models do not come with COA's. Thanks.

Jon

Customer Service

Gibson Brands, Inc.

1-800-4GIBSON
service@gibson.com

A few years back I bought a new 335. I do not remember it coming with a COA. I thought COA's were for Custom and Special guitars.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

Every 335 I have ever purchased, including 2009, 2014, 2015, and two 2016's have had COA's.

These were dots, satins, limiteds, etc.

I know my BB King had one, I just don't remember the 335 having one and it was new .

• Like 1

Here is a link to a 2019 "dot" 335. Nothing special - just a satin 335.

At the bottom, under accessories, it clearly states that a COA is included. So Gibson , in there infinite wisdom, have decided to scrap the COA gig. My opinion is that so many get lost ( "I'll put this in the back of my home office desk drawer so I don't lose it" ) with the resultant loss of resale value , that Gibson has decided to eliminate them and save the headache all together.

http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2019/Memphis/ES-335-Dot-2019.aspx

If every guitar came with a COA it would sort of dilute the value of having one.  Seems as though COAs will be reserved for Custom Shop guitars going forward.  I bought a CS 336 in about 2009 and they weren't doing COA then.  Last two Custom shop guitars I bought 2013 and 2015 did have them.  By the way, while brief the customer service rep did answer your question, so that's something anyway.

• Like 1

All Memphis ES guitars should have come with COAs.  Thus the OP question of what they are doing now that they are made in Nashville.

The answer from Gibson, though not as complete as it could be, pretty much confirms what I said in my last post.  The Gibson USA ES models will not have them.  No regular Gibson USA model come with them.  Presume Gibson Custom Shop models will continue to have them same as before.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

By the way, while brief the customer service rep did answer your question, so that's something anyway.

Agreed.

On 5/6/2020 at 5:05 PM, gampadoug said:

Every 335 I have ever purchased, including 2009, 2014, 2015, and two 2016's have had COA's.

These were dots, satins, limiteds, etc.

You buy a 335 every year?! That's terrific! 😉 \:D/

• Like 1

On 5/17/2020 at 12:52 AM, merciful-evans said:

You buy a 335 every year?! That's terrific! 😉 \:D/

Unfortunately, my friend, I have also sold all but one.

Just got a 2017 figured natural.

Will post pics when I'm not lazy.

7 hours ago, gampadoug said:

Unfortunately, my friend, I have also sold all but one.

Just got a 2017 figured natural.

Will post pics when I'm not lazy.

If you buy & sell at that rate, you are not lazy. You have priorities. 

I've been meaning to put up a guitar for sale for 8 months but haven't gotten around to it. That's lazy.

Still want to see your 2017 335 though...

• Like 1