Gibson Brands Forums

NGD Gibson Les Paul Dark Knight

QuakerOatmeal

Hi everyone, on Saturday I ordered a Les Paul Dark Knight from Guitar Center. I was so excited to get my hands on such a beauty, especially after seeing Trogly rave about this particular model on YouTube. 

But when it came in today.... I was so let down. It had several dings.... but most of all, the fretboard was covered in stains! I’m not sure if it’s glue, or varnish or what, but it’s a clear white stuff (insert HS jokes here, I know). I reached out to Guitar Center and I’m waiting to hear their verdict. Not to mention, they didn’t double box the guitar so that wonderfully heavy aluminum case is covered now in dents.  I know this model of case is prone to dinging, but I was hoping to make those dings myself. Especially since this is a 3,000 dollar guitar I’d expect it to exceed all my expectations. Also, GCs website says locking tuners, but it doesn’t have locking tuners. Very weird! Trogly had the same issue with his. 

Either way, this would’ve been such a beauty if it didn’t have these flaws. Ugh. 

Not very happy, anyone else experience the same with the fret on a new Gibson?

975FDC39-106F-404E-A3AF-465CAE2F032C.jpeg

B90549FD-B3C2-474E-A48F-BAD02B55E309.jpeg

7BDFD71A-2D0D-4561-8ECB-0BC152997064.jpeg

Edited by QuakerOatmeal

Return it.  At this time both Gibson and GC should be falling over themselves to make you happy for the money you spent on that.  I would return that without a thought.  Effem.

rct

• Like 1

I don’t have many guitars, and this was somewhat of a splurge. My complaints are valid though, right? Or am I just splitting hairs? I waited nearly two hours on hold only to be dismissed and told to send them photos over email to decide if they’ll issue a credit. Is this something I should look past if the price is right? Is that fret actually bad? Or am I overreacting?

Im honestly leaning towards a straight up return at this point. 

Edited by QuakerOatmeal

4 minutes ago, QuakerOatmeal said:

I don’t have many guitars, and this was somewhat of a splurge. My complaints are valid though, right? Or am I just splitting hairs? I waited nearly two hours on hold only to be dismissed and told to send them photos over email to decide if they’ll issue a credit. Is this something I should look past if the price is right? Is that fret actually bad? Or am I overreacting?

They'll decide?  THEY'LL DECIDE?  Which friggin Guitar Center is this?  Now I'd send it back all kinds of pissed off.  Send it back, full refund.  That is no way to treat the only sales they can make with most of their goddamm stores closed.  MAN that ticks me off, our GC here would not do something like that.

You are not splitting hairs, your complaints are valid.  You should not be on hold for two hours.  Only you can decide if you should look past if the price is right.  

rct

• Like 1

If you insist, as is your right for it to be flawless, then by all means send it back.  Done, end of story.  But It look like you're will to consider options.

I would think this should be about what you end up with, not what you start with. Once again, the knee-jerk chest beating "I'm offended, send it back!" reaction may not be the best in the long run.  ALWAYS, the first thing I would do is determine whether it is a "good one" or not.  Play it, and objectively evaluate it.  What I would do would totally depend on this.  It may actually be a great one, but so far it appears you're not past the obvious flaws.   If it is a good one and the fretboard would  clean up and you could live with the dings for the right price, then start to think of what deal would be acceptable to you.  If it is not a good one, great!  You have perfect reasons to send it back.

That case design should never had made it to production.  Another "What were they thinking moment".  As much as I really like to have original cases, I would get another case for it regardless.   So depending on what your feelings are on the case, negotiate accordingly.  I doubt they would give you another case in any kind of a deal, so that may not be an option.

The typical forum responses reveal that getting a cosmetically perfect guitar is far more important than getting a "good one".  But that's not me.

And to anyone who doesn't know what a "good one" is or means, I respectfully suggest they find out before they go guitar shopping.  Unless they are buying it just to look at it..

• Sad 1

You are NOT splitting hairs at all, that guitar looks used and abused. That fretboard looks like its been played hard. I do not see why GC will not replace the guitar or issue a refund. If they give you crap, you can file a complaint  with your Credit Card company or you start going up the ranks of corprate GC. I THINK THEY WILL WORK WITH YOU before you have to do anything like that.

Keep us posted. 

3 hours ago, Wmachine said:

And to anyone who doesn't know what a "good one" is or means, I respectfully suggest they find out before they go guitar shopping.  Unless they are buying it just to look at it..

My definition of a "good one" on a brand new guitar is to play good, well built and make me feel warm and fuzzy to look at. If this was a used guitar thing would be different...

Unless I miss something and this is a used guitar.

Edited by Big Bill

3 hours ago, Wmachine said:

If you insist, as is your right for it to be flawless, then by all means send it back.  Done, end of story.  But It look like you're will to consider options.

I would think this should be about what you end up with, not what you start with. Once again, the knee-jerk chest beating "I'm offended, send it back!" reaction may not be the best in the long run.  ALWAYS, the first thing I would do is determine whether it is a "good one" or not.  Play it, and objectively evaluate it.  What I would do would totally depend on this.  It may actually be a great one, but so far it appears you're not past the obvious flaws.   If it is a good one and the fretboard would  clean up and you could live with the dings for the right price, then start to think of what deal would be acceptable to you.  If it is not a good one, great!  You have perfect reasons to send it back.

That case design should never had made it to production.  Another "What were they thinking moment".  As much as I really like to have original cases, I would get another case for it regardless.   So depending on what your feelings are on the case, negotiate accordingly.  I doubt they would give you another case in any kind of a deal, so that may not be an option.

The typical forum responses reveal that getting a cosmetically perfect guitar is far more important than getting a "good one".  But that's not me.

You get at new guitar in that condition, and a case that looked like United Airway best baggage handlers dragged it down the run way for half a mile, and you would be p!ssed to. Stop with the lecture of chest beating ect.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

41 minutes ago, Big Bill said:

My definition of a "good one" on a brand new guitar is to play good, well built and make me feel warm and fuzzy to look at. If this was a used guitar thing would be different...

Unless I miss something and this is a used guitar.

Yes we all want a "Good One" but when its new it better shine, and not look like an employee j!zzed on the fretboard before getting sent out. I think GC has a 30 or 45 day return policy. Look on their site then YOU decide what to do...

He said it was 3000. That is the new price. I hope it was not 3k used.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

rct is quite right.

That is totally NOT acceptable condition for a supposedly new guitar, 'good one' or not. 

Nor is the ding in the case. Should come in a box too.  Very bad indeed.

Does anyone know what those stains are? Is this something that will naturally rub away through use? If GC counters with a decent discount and it’s something that will rub off as it ages I may consider keeping it. But if it’s something permanent that’s likely to never go away I doubt I could look past the discount. 

20 minutes ago, QuakerOatmeal said:

Does anyone know what those stains are? Is this something that will naturally rub away through use? If GC counters with a decent discount and it’s something that will rub off as it ages I may consider keeping it. But if it’s something permanent that’s likely to never go away I doubt I could look past the discount. 

Here is the skinny. You bought it and seem displeased with how it looks, the case that a gorilla threw around his cage for an hour or so as a toy, and how it was packed up and  arrived. I would be to. So return it if so desired or not. We can give you advice all day long, but its yours and your choice what to do with it.

18 hours ago, QuakerOatmeal said:

It may be glue. If that's the case, its there for awhile. I would do a straight up return. It sounds like you work hard for your money, you deserve what you pay for. If you spent 3 large on a guitar, you should expect to pick it up and be happy.

If Retail G.C. locations are open where you live, take it in to one and return it. I have returned a few of my online purchases to the retail store without an issue or question.

I know a few online dealers are extending their return policies because of the virus, so if it looks like the local G.C. will open before the return policy expires, you might try that.

Sorry for the bummer!

Take some deep breaths my friend. I'm in your corner. If you are certain you want to return the guitar, be prepared for a slow fight. You must be patient, but you are going to win so long as you don't lose your cool. And you have to be direct in your communication that you want to send it back from the start. They are banking on drawing it out past the 30 day return policy. They will try to discount, or placate you in some way before they accept a return, and then the money being refunded will take "4 to five business days" before it is refunded."

you have 30 days to return the item. Communicate via writing, but if you are sure you don't want it. Stick to the course. Retailers are bleeding money right now. They are going to look for a multitude of ways to keep from having to give money back. 

You have nothing to lose here, only they do. I had a situation similar, and the waiting is excruciating, but stay calm. Hold them to the letter on their return policy. 

Good luck. 

23 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

You get at new guitar in that condition, and a case that looked like United Airway best baggage handlers dragged it down the run way for half a mile, and you would be p!ssed to. Stop with the lecture of chest beating ect.

Just because you don't agree with me (which I couldn't care less about),  I'm no less entitled to my POV here than you are, so stop trying to dictate what others say.  

5 hours ago, Wmachine said:

Just because you don't agree with me (which I couldn't care less about),  I'm no less entitled to my POV here than you are, so stop trying to dictate what others say.  

I'm not trying to dictate what others should say maybe you would or maybe you wouldn't be p!ssed off I can't say. Its a forum a place to share ideas ect ect. Me and you do not have to agree on anything. Remember this may be someones first impression ever of a brand new  Gibson or their first and only guitar, and he gets that. Now granted it came from the legendary GC, and we all  know how caring an loving that place is. So I blame the condition of the case on GC. They once again took their usual extra care to pack up a 3k guitar and shipped it out. And in times when some don't have a job to go to anymore, this is the level of  goods and services he got. Its sad proof GC should be eradicated.  But opening up a brand new 3k guitar and it looks like the Gibson employee's had a devils 3 way over it is un-f-ing acceptable. I beat my chest writing this by the way.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I"m with the others - return it.
GC has a 90 day no BS return policy.  I've never had a problem with them in this regard.

It sucks getting something you've longed for and it's a PoS but a Guitar like that should be flawless, especially at that price.
If there's a GC near you (and open) take it there to return it, you don't need to ship it back.
It's not the only one of that model available so hopefully the replacement will be right.

GC has a no questions asked return policy,  and you are well within that period  I suggest along with everyone else that you use it.

You will find another one, and do yourself a huge favor  no matter what the outcome, LOOSE the idea of dealing with Guitar Center.. 

There are too many superior places to do business with. Sweetwater should be your next web visit for window shopping.  GC is the WALL MART of Online Music Stores..  There  are far better ones to do bizz with.

Edited by kidblast

Thanks everyone for your responses. 

Yesterday GC never responded to any emails. This morning I woke up to an email that declined any sort of discount, but did provide a return shipping label.

The 37 pound package of male specimen has been shipped back, hopefully I’ll get a refund soon. 

This kinda soured me on GC. I’ll be checking out Sweetwater. 

Even though I’m sure I’ll be getting a refund, I’m still a bit butthurt. That guitar was such a beauty, but I just don’t want to have to deal with GC over the phone/via mail again. 

Edited by QuakerOatmeal

I am a die-hard Sweetwater fan. 
You cannot go wrong there. 

Guitar Center has been hit or miss, and I won't order anything of substance from them. 
I certainly won't ever order a guitar from them. 

My local GC is top notch, or at least it was. 
It's been closed so long with this Chinese flu thing going on, I'm not sure if they will ever open up again. 

That Dark Knight is a bad *** guitar, and you deserve a perfect one, (back to the original point). 

Sweetwater will do right by you. 

🙂

Edited by sparquelito