Gibson Brands Forums

WOULD A NITRO POLISH CREAM HURT MY POLYURETHANE FINISH???

hippiehop

I GOT A GUITAR CARE KIT FROM GIBSON CONTAINING A NITROCELLULOSE LAQUER POLISH CREAM!THE PROBLEM IS THAT I HAVE AN EPIPHONE LES PAUL CUSTOM WITH A POLYURETHANE FINISH(I BELIEVE,NOT SURE THOUGH).IT IS A BRAND NEW GUITAR AND I WOULDN'T WANT TO SEE ANY CLOUDY SHADOWS ON THE FINISH YET,JUST BECAUSE I DIDN'T ASK BEFORE WRONGFULLY USING A NITRO LAQUER POLISH SUBSTANCE...SO PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS PIECE OF INFORMATION,EVEN IF IT DOESN'T SEEM THAT IMPORTANT TO YOU...IT MAY AS WELL SAVE MY GUITAR

[-o<

Any polish that is OK for Nitro should be more than fine for a poly or acrylic finishes. Best for either of those in reality is just warm water on a damp rag and then buffed by a soft cotton cloth. (I use cloth baby diapers for the most part when cleaning my acoustics.) Taylors have a UV poly type finish and my Gibson is Nitro. When I do use something on them, I use a good Carnuba wax like Zymol and it works fine on both surfaces. Trick is, don't over-do it with polishes and such. More often than not a bit of warm water wiped on and then dried off quickly with a diaper will be more than adequate.

yeah :-k))) funny!sledge hammer,nuclear war,caps lock key are all bad while baby diapers are good :D).it seems that spending money on all kinds of fancy polishes proves to be totally useless.I still care for this guitar and I am worried about any "side-effects" that the wrong polish might have!just to say this,this would be the first time I'll ever use anything else on my guitars,other than a soft cloth;since I really love this one(my new epi),I'm tryin' to ofer it my best care!I've bought this guitar care kit online so i really didn't have the chance to see the small writing on the polish cream bottle(which was packed,among other things),and there where no specifications made by the provider on the web!I know,'t was my bad,but I'm tryin' to get it fixed in a way or another,maybe I could use it afterall!

P.S.despite the appearance,I'm not that fond of the Caps Lock key!I only wanted the topic to catch your eye/attention(cause it's quite urgent!!),rather than your imagination;-)!still funny though

yeah :-k))) funny!sledge hammer' date='nuclear war,caps lock key are all bad while baby diapers are good :D).it seems that spending money on all kinds of fancy polishes proves to be totally useless.I still care for this guitar and I am worried about any "side-effects" that the wrong polish might have!just to say this,this would be the first time I'll ever use anything else on my guitars,other than a soft cloth;since I really love this one(my new epi),I'm tryin' to ofer it my best care!I've bought this guitar care kit online so i really didn't have the chance to see the small writing on the polish cream bottle(which was packed,among other things),and there where no specifications made by the provider on the web!I know,'t was my bad,but I'm tryin' to get it fixed in a way or another,maybe I could use it afterall![/quote']

I use Fender's guitar care kit on all of my guitars and have had great results. Others use Virtuoso and love how it works. They seem to be the most popular ones out there but I'd be willing to bet that most of what is available as guitar polish from guitar manufacturers probably comes from just a few sources and is just branded for the guitar company. Fender's kit is made by Meguiar who is a well known maker of car polish.

P.S.despite the appearance' date='I'm not that fond of the Caps Lock key!I only wanted the topic to catch your eye/attention(cause it's quite urgent!!),rather than your imagination;-)!still funny though[/quote']

No offense, but everyone thinks their topic is the most urgent or important.

I wipe wy guitars about once a year. I am a hibyyist so I don't gig them and sweat on them and all that.

The maple neck on my Fenders looks like it is relic'd but it is just dirty. My LP is sticky right below the string were I strum/pick. I am planning to do some spring cleaning soon and get them all beautified.

I think the cleaners for nitro, especifically the one made by Gibson (or branded Gibson) is mean to penetrate the nitro finish based on its porosity. When I used it on poly finish guitars it just left them greasy because the stuff does not penetrate, it just stays on the surface.

The Fender instrument cleaner does seem to work well for everything. I know I have a bottle, now I need to find it.

Archived