Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic That Plays as Good as Electric

zigzag

Forgive my inexperience as an acoustic player. I've played a nice Taylor and a less expensive Martin, but that is the extent of my experience with decent acoustics. Back in 1983, I compared acoustics in the $300-$500 and the one I bought for tone and playability was a Takamine  F-341. It's been a good guitar for me for a long time, but I'm thinking about upgrading. 

I've been playing electric guitars for over 50 years, and I've never played an acoustic guitar that plays as easily as an electric. It could be that the action for an acoustic needs to be a tad higher or because the string gauge is a little higher (I normally use 12s on my Takamine).  Or it could be the strings I use are a little stiffer.

Without spending $2000, what would be your recommendation for the best playing (and hopefully good sounding) acoustic guitar? I like a shallower, "modern C" type neck, and I could probably go $750.  

Yeah, a $750 price tag is probably going to be a non-starter on a Gibson acoustic. If you find one that cheap, it probably has problems. What is it about a Gibson that you are after? If you're looking for that short-scale slope-shoulder sound on a budget, check out a Farida OT-62 ($512 at Elderly) or the Guild DS-240 ($499 at Elderly). Both are Asian-made, but they have gotten good reviews. I own a Farida OT-22 -- their take on the Gibson LG-2 -- and it is a stunning guitar for the money.

I know everybody is different, but I think the search for "an acoustic that plays as good as an electric" is a fool's errand. They are different animals and they are meant to be. Basically, I think you're saying you want something with super-low action and a thin neck. Those are not necessarily good attributes for an acoustic. Taylor has probably been the best at marketing to that segment of the playing public, but I've only ever played one or two Taylors that did anything for me. Granted, it is a matter of personal style and taste, but Taylors always struck me as acoustic guitars for people who don't like acoustic guitars. (And, yes, I know some great people play them....)

Good luck....

They are different animals.  One relies on its own sound, it’s woods, its bracing, while one relies on its pickup and amplifier as well as the amp’s settings and how the build and woods of the guitar interacts with all of that.  Further confused by acoustic guitars that are plugged in also doing kind of the same.   And, of course, set up and a player’s playing style interacting with the guitar also figure in with all guitars.  My best suggestion is to try as many guitars as you can, once this COVID thing allows that to be able to happen.   Or, take a chance on a personal recommendation from long term reputable players, such as are on this forum, which should also work out satisfactorily fine during these strange shelter in home times via an internet purchase.

My personal suggestions in the price range you mention for acoustic guitars, if you looking to upgrade to the $750 range...Epiphone’s imported Masterbuilt series guitars fall into the $750 price range and are quite good.  Also, maybe a lower range imported Martin that falls into that price usually are quite good for the money.  On a broad stroke basis in the $750 range or lower, avoid any select wood topped guitar (sides and back being select wood or laminated is okay.  But make sure the guitar’s top is a solid wood top.)

Or, perhaps wait a bit and save for one of the lower priced walnut backed Gibson’s that are now out as Studio models.

Hope this helps!

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark

The J-45 Studio goes for about $1500 I think. Quite a lot of used ones on Guitar Center's website right now, but the cheapest one is $1200. The fact that there are so many used ones makes me wonder how happy people have been with them.

Edited by Boyd
  • Like 1

I would say you would for sure want to check into Taylor 300 series.  they're neck profiles are more like what electric only guys can sink their teeth into.

I've had some nice taylors, and I have two very good ones right now.  One is a Grand Symphony I got in 2006, (or GS, -- no not a GS Mini...  this their take on a jumbo) and it seriously rings out like a piano.  Action is about as low as an acoustic needs to go, 5/64s B 4/64s T

My SJ200 is right there too, but the neck profiles differ enough that I can navigate my way around the Taylor for things like alternate tuning solo pieces where the standard chord shapes we all know and love are out the window.   While I can play those on the SJ, with the Taylor GS, it is just slight bit easier. 

for your price break, if you were looking Taylor, you'd be in the USED 300 series.  I wouldn't go any lower in the model teirs than that.  the 300 series and up are US made, the 200s/100s/academies are imports.  They get high marks from their owners, but personally I prefer US made guitars.

what ever you decide on, make sure there's a complete setup done.  The nut regulation is quite huge on an acoustic, and IMHO  it's NEVER even close to what it needs to be off the factory floor.  Especially Gibsons.  Taylors are closer, but still NOT quite there.

Edited by kidblast

3 hours ago, zigzag said:

Forgive my inexperience as an acoustic player. I've played a nice Taylor and a less expensive Martin, but that is the extent of my experience with decent acoustics. Back in 1983, I compared acoustics in the $300-$500 and the one I bought for tone and playability was a Takamine  F-341. It's been a good guitar for me for a long time, but I'm thinking about upgrading. 

I've been playing electric guitars for over 50 years, and I've never played an acoustic guitar that plays as easily as an electric. It could be that the action for an acoustic needs to be a tad higher or because the string gauge is a little higher (I normally use 12s on my Takamine).  Or it could be the strings I use are a little stiffer.

Without spending $2000, what would be your recommendation for the best playing (and hopefully good sounding) acoustic guitar? I like a shallower, "modern C" type neck, and I could probably go $750.  

As suggested the Epiphone Masterbuilt series is quite good. I would look at the new Masterbilt Texan, as these have a narrow 1.68" nut width and shallow neck profile that many people associate with electric guitars. Also, the Epiphone EJ-160e is typically set up quite low, which makes it comfortable for those used to electrics.

Red 333

The G45 is priced just below a grand. Looks good. I was in the same boat. Just electrics for 40 years. It was tuff converting over to acoustic. I started off with a Taylor for a few years then got into the Martins and Gibson’s. Knowing what I know now, I would get whatever I wanted, get a low setup and put on some light gage strings. I’ve done it for friends who were starting off. You can always change the setup and go higher and heavier gage strings when you’re ready.  

• Like 1

Yes on the Epiphone!  Nice guitars.....But, if you want a Gibson acoustic, get a Gibson acoustic.    I don’t know a lot about electrics, aside from them sounding like electrics.  To my ears, really different sound from acoustics.  Still a guitar, but different.  Anyway, I often say my Gibsons are as easy-on-the-fingers as an electric, but they’re really not, except in my mind.  Actually, electrics are real soft and easy on most fingers.  But, I’ve been hacking on an acoustics for almost sixty-years now and a good setup on a good acoustic makes light strings feel like soft silk.  Of course, to a beginner or someone who only has played electrics, even an acoustic with a good setup, low action and great strings is going to be tougher on the fingers than an electric.   I guess you could put electric strings on an acoustic.  Never tried it, but I assume they’d be kind of floppy and you’d have to plug-in for any volume.  .......Get yourself a good Gibby acoustic, a good pickup and have fun.

Edited by MissouriPicker

14 hours ago, zigzag said:

Way, way over your budget, but to show there is a hope, Collings have the C10 acoustic, touted for being 'perhaps the easiest for electric players to 'adapt to':

C10Based on guitars first introduced around the same time as the OM, the Collings C10 is a leaner alternative, with the narrow waist and small upper bout resulting in a precise, focused response. Of all our acoustic models, the C10 is perhaps the easiest for electric guitarists to adapt to, thanks in part to the more rounded neck profile. (whatever that means)....

"ideally suited to the optional cutaway, which allows unrestricted access to the upper frets. With its unique shape and asymmetrical headstock's lines echoed in the curvilinear pickguard, C10 models offer a welcome alternative for those who find that most small acoustic guitars look too much alike."

But for cheaper, I would start with Taylor or Takamine and make sure you get the pickup!

Bluesking777.

FYI... I love my J-45 Studio. And it’s great to gig with.  Hopefully I have gigs again in the future!

For $750, I think the brand is less important than the setup maybe... for what you want... electric playability.

although you could get a used Martin D15...or a Japanese Tak Pro series. I’ve also head the new Japanese Yamaha red labels are nice guitars... haven’t played the, though.

An acoustic that plays as well as an electric would be a high-end Ovation Legend. They don't come cheap, either, so that your budget will never fit the bill. In general the entry fee into the world of good acoustics is way higher than that of electric guitars. In the end you always get what you pay for, I guess.

Edited by Leonard McCoy
  • Like 1

My nickname used to be "Zigzag."  Then it  became ""Lung" when a close friend remarked in front of others how much I looked like the guy on the cover of the Aqualung LP.

I started playing earlier than you.  Back then many of us were aspiring folkies so started off on acoustics.  Then, following a seemingly  common path, we went electric after seeing the Beatles on the Sullivan show.  

When talking about feel  the differences will be more exaggerated depending on the age and make of the of the guitar.    So while  my Fenders had a fingerboard radius of 7.25"  the Gibson acoustics  have a much flatter 10" radius.  Martins had, I believe, a 12" radius.  Then there are differences in neck carve, action and such.  What I have found though is that when switching back and forth between acoustics and electrics is I tended to "pverplay" the electrics.  My two main electrics were a 1960 Esquire and a 1958 Telecaster   I liked Teles because t felt  like you had to pull the music out of them.  But even though the sound relied on your fingers you always had those knobs to help you along.  With acoustics of the sans pickup varriety, the energy that brings out the sound is supplied not by pickups but by driving the top. 

Ziggy,  All these comments are excellent - very relevant, I think.   Classical is easy to fret and  Banjo even easier ! Point being - different stringed instruments are inherently soft or hard - and you will not find what you're looking for in steel stringed acoustics.   I think people who make the transition from Electric to Acoustic accept the advice like all that given above and get a good guitar with a great setup and use light strings. They put their electric crutches  in their cases and force themselves to only play the acoustic for several months.  At least six! That will get you  past your aversion.     A $300 Takemine from 30 years ago (without a setup?)  would put off many of us here today.  You can do better now -  BUT recognize the fact you may have to spend more than $750.  With inflation - that's probably around $300 in 1983! You'll be doing the same thing and expecting different results.  A bigger investment will mean you have more skin in the game - and will play more and bond sooner. 

All the suggestions above are great.  Boyd mentioned GC:   if you go to Guitar Center's: Used Acoustic/ Gibson/"Excellent - Great"  sort/section,  you will not find ANY under $1,200. And -  interestingly NO standard J-45s !  I look at these here are 'coal mine canaries' - how is the used market doing?  There are usually a few. (People are holding on to them as they are holed up in their bunkers !!)  But - several Studio, Chroma, etc. J-45s and J-15s which people haven't bonded with.   In the 'real/standard' J45s, they do have two:   one Custom  (RW?)and one Limited ('hog?)  with a beautiful blue tint like BucMaster's  Hummingbird.  You can get some good deals on used acoustics and can't go wrong with a J-45.  And you usually can get them to come down from their sticker price. And return after 3 days as I recall, if you have buyer's remorse.  G'luck!!

• Like 1

I used to have an early 2000 Epi EJ-160E & it was a very good Guitar... Which was later replaced with a Solid Top Gibson J-160E Bozeman Masterbilt...

A couple years ago I bought one of the Epi Inspired By Texans.. Cheap, MAP $399.00 & I paid less. Good Guitar but Electronics could be upgraded.. But the Electronics are ok... Haven't played a Masterbilt but imagine they're even better...

Very nice Necks on them too.. They feel instantly familiar to a Gibson Electric Player..

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

if you go to Guitar Center's: Used Acoustic/ Gibson/"Excellent - Great"  sort/section,  you will not find ANY under $1,200. And -  interestingly NO standard J-45s !

Actually, they have one used J-45 Standard for $2000

I would agree with Kidblast that Taylors are probably the closest neck to an electric and easiest for an electric player to switch over to.  They are expensive new but as demonstrated by the above referenced ads on E-bay a used one can be reasonable.  They are well made and have great tone (on the higher end ones anyway) I haven't really tried any below the 600 series level.  

I bought a GS 816 in 2007 brand new for $2695 discounted price so the one for about $800 would be a good deal I think.