Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG Jr. Modified - Value???

Bobdaddio

Hello.  I have a few of my father’s old Gibson’s that have been setting in a closet since his death in ‘78.  I picked up his old bass and decided bass is my lane.  Considering parting with 2 or three Vintage electric guitars.  One appears to be a 1965 Gibson SG JR Cherry finish (Serial #540332) that he modified by adding a functional stereo/mono switch + 2 extra control knobs with new electronics that have been installed and look like they are supposed to be there.  I have an additional two extra control knobs and electronics in the case that appears to be the original two.   This modification gives the appearance of the ‘65 SG Special.  The two control knobs that are supposed to be on the Jr work.  I need to check the connections on the other two knobs to determine if they are purely cosmetic or functional.   The Stereo/Mono switch works.  And, I have the original case and a few extras.  Trying to determine the value as I haven’t seen anything like it online.   It is is great shape for the age.   Thoughts???  As this one is quite unique, I might keep this one and consider selling the other two as it’s growing on me.

641AE265-E456-460E-A423-1646E2C4ABCC.thumb.jpeg.bdbff45f2506dba62c7855fe9c24f437.jpeg

By that serial number, your father's wonderful old Gibson SG Jr was made in Kalamazoo, MI some time between 1966 and 1969.

Fjestad's Blue Book puts her value at $2,250 in American dollars (if she was made in 1969) and up to $2,500 if her vintage is 1966. 

She is one gorgeous guitar!!
😍

• Thanks 1

I don't know too much about mid-sixties SG values, but in this case I don't think the mods will add or subtract much value.  The guitar is in great looking condition, everything that a stock model should have is still there, plus it has the stereo feature as well.  Some might say because it is not all original that lessens the value, other might consider the mods a plus so it's probably a wash either way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

I don't know too much about mid-sixties SG values, but in this case I don't think the mods will add or subtract much value.  The guitar is in great looking condition, everything that a stock model should have is still there, plus it has the stereo feature as well.  Some might say because it is not all original that lessens the value, other might consider the mods a plus so it's probably a wash either way.

I agree 100%. 
It's a great guitar, and it'll sell just fine with the mods. 

🙂

• Thanks 1

I change everything.  I can tell you from experience that if the guitar is not what the buyer/trader expected, you are going to spend an inordinate amount of time answering questions.  One would think that putting on better tuning machines would not negatively affect the value of a guitar but unfortunately it does.  Everything does.  In this guitar we have something completely unique in that there aren't any others, so there is nothing to compare it to in order to get a price, so they take the current market less 40% for a bone stock most minty condition one.  For something as changed as this?  Current market less 60% is more accurate. 

Good luck with it.  You are asking for value for something that only one guy did.  Even I haven't done anything like that!

rct

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Over the last few years I have sold several Gibsons, each of which had to be restored to as close to original as possible to get a fair market value. Surprisingly most important was original plastic, followed by original "style" of Bridge and Tuners. In the 80's I acquired what I believed was a modified 66 SG Jr with the same Tremolo. In the 90's I started searching for LP DC Jrs and SG Jrs, finding that a lot SG Jrs had been modified with tremolos while keeping the wraparound bridge. Anyway this mod didn't seem to effect the asking price as the SG Jrs were very popular and in limited supply. 60s era SG Jrs can sell from 1.5k up to 6k, yours with electronics mods could be somewhere in the middle depending on condition. Possibly run an eBay add high at about 3k and see what happens.

I am not an expert, but I have been tracking these for a while. I did see one sell recently on craigslist for 3.5k on Oahu. Also seen some fakes here with 60s SN's, make sure its real.. The pickguard doesn't look quite right...

Edited by mihcmac
  • Thanks 1

Try selling it as is.. You'll find out if it's something anyone wants... If it isn't you can restore it back to like original Spec & list it for sale again.. In either case though it isn't original. 

Why don't you want to keep this one & sell one of the others?

To all:  I think I have decided to keep this one as it's my dad through & through.  He modified the guitar and it's a one of a kind.  I have a 1966 ES-335-TDW Thinline Semi-Hollow Electric Archtop with the Walnut  finish and the ES-125 TC 1960 Thinline Fully HOllow Ele Archtop with one pickup.  Both are in fantastic shape, again, slight modifications but the original parts are in the cases and no modifications i can't undo.  Probably gonna part with these along with my Falcon GA 19RVT Amp circa 1964.  Should make someone very happy.