Gibson Brands Forums

what kind of Gibson was Randy Travis playing last night?

stumps

I hate American Idol... and this season is the worst ever...

having said that, my daughter likes it, my wife watches it with her. I finished playing and was walking through the room when I saw Randy Travis and Harrie Underpants getting ready to do a duet. It looked like Travis was playing a Gibson - parallelograms on the fretboard, batwing pickguard, couldn't read the headstock, but he had something covering the soundhole... anyone know if he indeed had a Gibson and what model?

Thanks....

Harrie Underpants :-k

Looks a bit too big for a 185. Could it be a 165 or an Emmy Lou Harris? I have no idea really - someone will correct me.

American Idol is obviously your version of The X Factor - a product of Simon Cowell. I hate these programs but the general public have been programmed to think they are creating something meaningful. It is our society's obsession with "celebrity". I expext that it will be possible to study for a degree in Celebrity soon.

In the UK, we are even now being subjected to a media frenzy over the imminent death of an ex Big Brother "star". The wife of a very good friend of mine is in a similar position and so it makes me sick! She used to be an ambulance driver so has actually contributed something to society.

Rant over and sorry for the hijack. I'm actually far more interested to know what the guitar is.

It looked like it had the maltese crosses on the bridge.

I agree -- you can kinda seem them just after 3:30, and then again just after 4:30. So it's definitely a rosewood J-185.

-- Bob R

I own a J185 Rosewood. Unfortunately I have to admit that I happened to be watching American Idol but when I saw his guitar I also tried to work out what it was! It didn't seem to me to be a J185. Mine does not have a maltese cross on it but it does have split mother of pearl inlays on an ebony fretboard. It didn't seem to have the curves that the J185 has!!

In my posting above I meant to respond to 'J200 Koa' to say that J185's are great to play. Really good shape and feel, loud tone - a bit like an OM, warm sound. I'm playing one with a low action, great neck and Martin 11's on it. I love it!!!!

I sold a Martin OMC Aura to buy it. I got enough $'s for the Aura to buy the J185. I prefer the Gibson but that's partly because I couldn't get used to the wider neck on the Martin. I'm sure some people would really like the extra room between the strings on the Martin but because I like necks that are similar to Les Paul necks I didn't. The J185 neck is similar to my other Gibsons and enables me an easy transition when I move from my other guitars to it.

Looks like a J185 rosewood that probably had the bridge replaced.

You can from the reflections that the top has the usual waves that come with some age.

I'm guessing and that's the best I can come up with.

It also looks like Randy is mostly leaning on it rather than playing it, I think that's why they don't really show his hands.

Archived