Gibson Brands Forums

Flying V in B tuning

axemanfrommars

I have.  I think I had to flip a saddle for extra intonation range but other than that, no probs. I used 11-52 strings, which is probably a little on the light side for B standard, but they worked fine with the bridge and nut (guitar came with 46-9 hybrid set), and I could switch back to E standard with 10-42 gauge strings years later and it was fine.  I use Big Bends Nut Sauce in the nut slots. 

Use this to calculate string tension and adjust the truss rod accordingly: https://www.mcdonaldstrings.com/stringxxiii.html

I think B standard and 11-52 was less tension than E standard and 9-46 strings, if I remember correctly. 

Edited by Pinch

Someone lent me a Squier 7-string once which had a low B, so it was a regular tuned guitar with one extra low string.

I couldn't hack it at all.  Would have been good for chords and walking bass but you'd have to work very hard to get it. 

Remember seeing Ry Cooder and David Lindley in duo and the stage was full of guitars in all their different tunings, plus tiples, mandolins etc.

8 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

So tuning down is less tension. Never would have guessed.

Bigger gauge strings is more tension. If you go from a 10-46 set to a 11-52 set with the SAME tuning, you'll have a LOT more tension on the neck. 

That's why it's good to check what the combined tension will be when you change string gauges and tunings. 

Edited by Pinch

2 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Right. Its not exactly what I meant though. I was inferring that the scale would not be long enough. Presumably it sounds  ok then.

Sounded just fine. Well, it probably would've sounded better with thicker strings, but no intonation problems or anything. 

7 hours ago, Pinch said:

Bigger gauge strings is more tension. If you go from a 10-46 set to a 11-52 set with the SAME tuning, you'll have a LOT more tension on the neck. 

That's why it's good to check what the combined tension will be when you change string gauges and tunings. 

Here is a set of Martins strings in 10 and 11. The difference is 18 lbs. Is a 18 a LOT?  Its more, but is it a lot more. I guess we could discuss that. Not trying to start an argument. I'm just presenting what is posted on Martins site.

Extra Light .010 .014 .023 .030 .039 .047    135.8  lbs
Custom Light .011 .015 .023 .032 .042 .052                                  153.7 lbs

18 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Here is a set of Martins strings in 10 and 11. The difference is 18 lbs. Is a 18 a LOT?  Its more, but is it a lot more. I guess we could discuss that. Not trying to start an argument. I'm just presenting what is posted on Martins site.

Extra Light .010 .014 .023 .030 .039 .047    135.8  lbs
Custom Light .011 .015 .023 .032 .042 .052                                  153.7 lbs

I hear ya, but the 11-52 set is light top heavy bottom, and most people would use even thicker strings for B standard. So it's a good idea to calculate tension and see if you need to adjust the TR.

Edit: it's also a good idea to read the post I'm replying to. I guess I'm just a rebel. 

Edited by Pinch

You don't have to calculate anything.  Set the guitar up.  Part of setting it up is tuning it about a trazillion times, each time to the tuning the guitar will be used at.  It will calculate itself.

rct

1 hour ago, rct said:

You don't have to calculate anything.  Set the guitar up.  Part of setting it up is tuning it about a trazillion times, each time to the tuning the guitar will be used at.  It will calculate itself.

rct

Everything has to be folded.