Gibson Brands Forums

New Music You Are Listening To

Sgt. Pepper

Someone started a thread when the virus hit about what older music you are listening to during the new fun times we are having. Well how about newer music you are rocking?

The Lumineers - III

Anything by Jason Isbell after the he got booted by the Drive By Truckers. A new album is coming out I think next month called Reunion. I have tix to see him in July but it got postponed a year. It would have been time number 10 or 11.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Haha, I'm a creature of Old Habit.  I listen to the olden Goldies, 60's and 70's. The British Invasion was where it was at.  Most stuff today is just crap. Once in a great blue moon someone might surprise you but its rare. 

On 5/12/2020 at 7:22 AM, kidblast said:

I've become some what of a huge Amos Lee fan in the last few months.   Last two albums in particular are very good as is one from a few years ago (Mission Bell)

I think I saw him once in about '07 or '08. He was on before E. Costello, and then it was Dylan.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I’ve been listening to a lot of Cash’s stuff with Rick Rubins, along with  some John Prine.  I really enjoy the stripped-down honesty of Cash’s American Recordings albums.  Very human, fragile, and so much I can identify with.  To me, it’s kind of the personification of what a human voice and sparse instrumentation can provide to other humans.   I’ve often wondered what kind of things were going through Cash’s mind as he recorded many of these songs about death, lost loves, bad breaks, all while he understood that his health was on a downhill spiral.  .... John Prine is simply “John Prine.”  His entire musical theme revolves around people like me.  I feel like he could me singing about me.  I like literally all of Prine’s stuff, but I’ve particularly zeroed-in on his,last album, The Tree of Forgiveness.   Makes me wonder if he thought he might be near the end.....Listened to a little Ian Tyson also.  A real cowboy and a real folksinger.

17 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I think I saw him once in about '07 or '08. He was on before E. Costello, and then it was Dylan.

he covers a lot of ground with his writing, I've really been loving almost everything he does.  Great band too.