Gibson Brands Forums

NGD L-48 (please help me find out which year)

Easy breezy

Hi all,

Today I bought a Gibson L-48 with a ton of wear and some minor issues but a lot of soul. I could really use your expertise to get answers to some of my questions. The guitar is in all original condition at the moment. It's D and G tuners are a little bent and just overall not great. The nut is chipped near low E and it looks kind of strange honestly. It's also missing both dot inlays on 12th fret. Even with all this issues and sporting a set of electric 10 gauge strings (I apologize for that) this thing sounds amazing. I'll honestly admit that after owning numerous pricey modern guitars i finally get the vintage magic, this guitar seems incredible to me.

I'd like to ask a question. Can someone date S130914 serial? From what i found online it's dated to 1959 but not sure.  I already ordered some flats, inlay dots, new tusq bone nut and new tuners. Thanks for bearing with me and reading, sorry for the rant

Gibson L-48
https://imgur.com/gallery/MjzErUL
Edited by Easy breezy

Yep, S prefix is 1959.

Welcome.

Flatwounds may or may not be the way to go on this guitar, but you won't know until you try. The 10's you have on now are probably too light. A set of 12s might be better.

Archtops are known for a very quick decay, and flats may accentuate that. Try them on for size, since you've already ordered them.

The tuners can probably be salvaged, so don't throw them away even if you replace them. The buttons might end up being destroyed in the process of straightening the bent worm gear arm, but those are easily replaced.

In any case, welcome aboard!

• Thanks 1

Nice!  L-48 specs changed considerably over the years.  I had a 1948 L-48 with a solid pressed mahogany top, solid mahogany sides, and a flat (and braced) solid mahogany back.  Wish I’d kept that one.

A quick note which you probably already know:  The pickguard bracket should be attached to the underside of the pickguard.

Congrats & Enjoy!

• Like 1

Thank you all for the warm welcome to the Gibson world. I had a couple electric Gibson's but never loved them, this guitar changed my perspective of the brand.

I did put the pickguard bracket down when i cleaned it, it has one small patched crack (seems professionally done) but it sounds so beautiful. I'm officially a fan of Gibson acoustics.

Funny part is i only paid 400$ for this guitar, quite a deal for an all original 59 Gibson. I guess same people that made the infamous 59 Les Paul's made my guitar and it sure shows. I found myself a keeper!

Thank you again for the warm welcome to the Gibson world

Congrats!  

Although L48s are not a generally pricey archtop, 400 is a great price.  . 

As to strings, I go with 13s on my '53 Epiphone Triumph Regent which has a carved top and back plate,  But I use 12s on my Gibson-made 1935 Capital.  With a pressed top guitar like my Capital, 12s should give you more than enough volume.  

I was under the impression that the mid- to late-1950s L-48s  were all laminate construction.   I think though pressed tops are  more consistent when it comes to  sound than the carved tops which had a graduated thickness which varied depending on the hands using the tools.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Congrats!  

Although L48s are not a generally pricey archtop, 400 is a great price.  . 

As to strings, I go with 13s on my '53 Epiphone Triumph Regent which has a carved top and back plate,  But I use 12s on my Gibson-made 1935 Capital.  With a pressed top guitar like my Capital, 12s should give you more than enough volume.  

I was under the impression that the mid- to late-1950s L-48s  were all laminate construction.   I think though pressed tops are  more consistent when it comes to  sound than the carved tops which had a graduated thickness which varied depending on the hands using the tools.

Thank you!

I got d'addario 13's to start with, we'll go from there. I feel like I shouldn't even bother with all the upgrades since it plays amazing and stays in tune as it is, but more of a good thing can't be bad.

I will keep the original parts as part of the vibe and story as i really don't see myself selling this guitar. Sure the honey moon ain't over, but it's monetary value is way lover than the joy of playing it!