Gibson Brands Forums

Finish cracking or Structure cracking?

dgswim

I am interested in a Les Paul Custom.  There is some cracking in the finish.  The area that its located gives me concern.  This could very well just be thermal cracking and superficial or is it a sign that the neck has been stressed?  While I own 4 Les Paul Customs, 1968, 1974, 1981, 2006 none have finish cracking here.  If this was cracking on the top or back I would not have a concern, but at this location I am curious. 

Thank you very much for your opinions.  

2018 Gibson LPC Crack Neck.jpg

I can just about see what you mean - I think.....there is a horizontal line below and parallel to the binding....?  And in 3rd pic it is on the body too below the binding? 

IMO not structural,  perhaps a reaction of finish and binding glue, movement or thermal cracking as you say......I am no expert but have seen same sort of thing before - much more noticeable on a nice white finish like this.  Good reason to ask for a few quid off!

Hope someone else can advise?

I can see the cracks, but with the guitar being so white it is hard to tell if its finish or wood. Take it to a repair guy and let him or her(the lady that used to do my work for me was the best) and they should be able to tell you in a min or two.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

the one I'd worry about a bit is the one near the heal, but I'm not sure that's any more than cosmetic.  The rest are pretty common, from what others have posted here with similar questions.

not sure if that's the spot where the fingerboard meets the neck's structure..