Gibson Brands Forums

Gold Top question

PauloP

Hello, guys.

I've recently bought a 2nd hand 2018 Les Paul Tribute in Satin Gold finish.

The guitar is just fine, but one thing is killing me.

There's a irregularity in the paint along the line that marks the junction of the two maple halves of the gold finish.

Both the seller and a friend that works as a guitar luthier (quite respected one, BTW) say it's normal, but I'm quite sure I've never seen something like this on any picture in the web.

Is it really that common?

Thanks you all.

20200515_021758-01.jpeg

20200515_021736-01.jpeg

I think it is a shame that it is "killing" you.  It looks great.  Personally, I think it gives it a very subtle unusual touch.  I would hate to be that sensitive to something that is insignificantly cosmetic.   I think you would be doing yourself a huge favor if you could learn to ignore all the forum hype on cosmetics, and just dig in and enjoy playing it as intended.   Cosmetics are a never ending diversion that can only get in your way, drive you crazy, and keep you from playing and enjoying.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wmachine said:

I think it is a shame that it is "killing" you.  It looks great.  Personally, I think it gives it a very subtle unusual touch.  I would hate to be that sensitive to something that is insignificantly cosmetic.   I think you would be doing yourself a huge favor if you could learn to ignore all the forum hype on cosmetics, and just dig in and enjoy playing it as intended.   Cosmetics are a never ending diversion that can only get in your way, drive you crazy, and keep you from playing and enjoying.  

I know I've been picky, but it's been unavoidable,😄😄😄😄.

I also know I'll get used to it, but I just wanted to know whether it's a common thing or this has been a 'lucky' one.

The guitar is just phenomenal, on the other hand.

I also got a plain top R8 and, although they sound and feel completely different, this one is incredibly easy to play. It's got one of the most comfortable necks  I've used so far. And despite this minor flaw, I've managed to get it in pristine condition at a reasonable price.

It's been set up by a great professional. I've had a 2018 Tribute before (in Honeyburst), and I remember it came quite a bit rougher out of the box.

Edited by PauloP

1 hour ago, PauloP said:

I know I've been picky, but it's been unavoidable,😄😄😄😄.

I also know I'll get used to it, but I just wanted to know whether it's a common thing or this has been a 'lucky' one.

The guitar is just phenomenal, on the other hand.

I also got a plain top R8 and, although they sound and feel completely different, this one is incredibly easy to play. It's got one of the most comfortable necks  I've used so far. And despite this minor flaw, I've managed to get it in pristine condition at a reasonable price.

It's been set up by a great professional. I've had a 2018 Tribute before (in Honeyburst), and I remember it came quite a bit rougher out of the box.

Sounds like it's a keeper with a beauty mark!

To answer your question: common? I doubt it. If I had to look twice to see it? Yes. If it's a defect? No. 

One of the better looking Tribute Gold Tops I've seen. Let go. I know New Guitar OCD all too well, but just let go.