Gibson Brands Forums

Out of touch?

jaxson50

11 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

But apparently you’re OK with Nicki Swift !  
Where do you all get your “fax” in Canada ?   Have your own news service? 

cbc    bbc  cnn  al-jazeera and abc and nbc  I check fox,  nite time is a real doozy bunch -try some of these  

Edited by jvi
addition

52 minutes ago, jvi said:

cbc    bbc  cnn  al-jazeera and abc and nbc  I check fox,  nite time is a real doozy bunch -try some of these  

Thanks for the reply.  I just spent some time on CBC.  It seems to be pretty balanced.  Liked the format.  Fewer ads.  I'll check in there once every day or so. Thanks    

sunday nite 6pm  pacific time CBC RADIO -Randy Bachman  has a great hour long show. lots of retro music and some present with lots of stories  AND not polictical   on  cbc   stay safe all

Edited by jvi
addition
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

EWKg4O5XQAMKs8S.jpg

The British came over 200 years ago. If I recall correctly we 'Mericans won. I've been to the house where Cornwallis had to surrender his sword. It's about an eighth of a mile from where I was stationed in Yorktown Virginia

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I think that this may be helpful in terms of resolving this silliness. I feel that almost everyone's critical thinking skills have been destroyed by tribal/team thinking. What has happened to civil, logical discourse and well reasoned disagreement? If this stuff continues then we will surely destroy ourselves and Uncle Nikita will be proven right. Please, let's try to educate ourselves in the Constitution, logic, real compassion and the true responsibilities of freedom. I leave this link as a possible starting point for us all to memorize and use...

https://imgur.com/gallery/gJIzBhK

Obviously, this applies to all argument, not just that which is for or against a deity. Also, this...

https://imgur.com/gallery/tWSTwoI

Edited by G Mac
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, G Mac said:

I think that this may be helpful in terms of resolving this silliness. I feel that almost everyone's critical thinking skills have been destroyed by tribal/team thinking. What has happened to civil, logical discourse and well reasoned disagreement? If this stuff continues then we will surely destroy ourselves and Uncle Nikita will be proven right. Please, let's try to educate ourselves in the Constitution, logic, real compassion and the true responsibilities of freedom. I leave this link as a possible starting point for us all to memorize and use...

https://imgur.com/gallery/gJIzBhK

Obviously, this applies to all argument, not just that which is for or against a deity. Also, this...

https://imgur.com/gallery/tWSTwoI

Wow !   Those are two great links.  Thank you!    If we can't all at least agree on these two basic premises  - I guess we won't be able to agree on anything.  Outstanding GMac !! 

So yeah...I uh, flew off there at Mr. Fortyearspickn.  I had no business doing that and he did nothing to deserve that.  I apologized to him privately and I'ma take them posts down.  I don't want my sunshine-y personae sullied by that, and the next time I'm that grouchy I'll confine myself to guitar curmudgeonlyness, not people curmugeonlyness.

I apologized to Mr. Murph about that other thread a couple weeks ago but he hasn't been around at all.  I don't mind being a dikkhead about guitars because, well, I am, I earned it, I'm entitled to be a dikkhead about guitars.  But not at or about other humans.

I'm sorry Gibson Lounge.  I won't do that again.

rct

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, rct said:

So yeah...I uh, flew off there at Mr. Fortyearspickn.  I had no business doing that and he did nothing to deserve that.  I apologized to him privately and I'ma take them posts down.  I don't want my sunshine-y personae sullied by that, and the next time I'm that grouchy I'll confine myself to guitar curmudgeonlyness, not people curmugeonlyness.

I apologized to Mr. Murph about that other thread a couple weeks ago but he hasn't been around at all.  I don't mind being a dikkhead about guitars because, well, I am, I earned it, I'm entitled to be a dikkhead about guitars.  But not at or about other humans.

rct

No worries, RCT.    This Pandemic has been hard on us all.    I can't recall ever hearing such a sincere apology.  I may have to borrow it for future use!  Take Care.   Jim

Interesting how a satirical  video can stir up so much animosity,  I didn't post it because I like or dislike the people appearing in it.  It was just a lighthearted poke at how some people have reacted to the situation. 

Nobody alive today has been through a global quarantine,  not even the 1919 Spanish Flu pandemic sparked a global quarantine.  So we are all in uncharted water.  

The fact is people are stressed out,  we expect too much from political leaders,  and they don't disappoint., they will never respond right, either too much or not enough and we seldom know which it is until the threat passes.

I reckon the nearest global threat like this was the Cuban Missile Crisis,  when we all held our breath and thought global nuclear destruction was eminent.  I was 12,  still remember the fear, but it was over quickly. This thing just keeps on going .  And then the ubiquitous conspiracies arise. 

We can be cool headed about it here, voice our thoughts,  hopes and fears, hopefully with respect and a giggle here and there.  

May we all get through this with our sanity intact,  Peace Out!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Kevin James is entitled to market his comedy short film by poking fun at the people who support and enforce a temporary quarantine.   He has that right.  . 

He is not "poking fun at the people who support and enforce a quarantine"!

He is making a point that some people are way over-reacting.  Some folks are calling the police for ridiculous reasons.  And yes many are calling for the end of handshaking forever.  

I and many others like the point he is making.  This does not mean we are making fun of the quarantine at all.                                             It means we are losing are individual liberties and freedoms to make our own decisions. 

And some don't like it.  

Intelligent people do not all think alike. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, rct said:

rct

It will keep happening as long as people make any post especially about politics, religion and topical issues (CV19). And of course things with stings too. We all have our own opinion and think it is the right one.

Lord know's I've been a weenie once...okay twice.

13 hours ago, SteveFord said:

I must have missed something, I'm still looking for a Candy Apple Red Firebird VII like the one I sold.

You guys keep your eyes open for something in the $2000 range, please.  Les is more, to coin a phrase.

Just saw a few on Reverb. Red, 3 pups, whammy bar thing, and wait for it...$3800.

I looked on the net and it seems that model people want over 3k for em no matter what color.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

50 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

You never had a right to disobey a federal lockdown order.   

I hear what you're saying, but I don't appreciate the "oh you're just being hysterical lol" approach to shutting down someone's opinion.   Usually I will say something. 

There is no Federal Lockdown. It is under control of the governors  of each state. Fifty different variations. 

• Like 2

As far as I know, the Federal Government has not issued any stay at home order or closure of any specific sectors of the economy.  Only social distancing recommendations and some international travel restrictions.  The States have issued various forms of stay at home orders and business shut downs.  Many of those have been and are being challenged and found to be unconstitutional.  And, yes, we do have a right to disobey unconstitutional orders.  It's called civil disobedience.

3 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Kevin James is entitled to market his comedy short film by poking fun at the people who support and enforce a temporary quarantine.   He has that right.  I think he should choose to do better because foolish people might take him seriously.  There is too much gaslighting all around (including from members of this forum) and it is becoming obnoxious.  Just my 2 cents. B

He is a comedian,  ease up.  I have not seen anyone taking him seriously , and you shouldn't.  Just have a laugh, if you don't find it funny ignore it. 

Edited by jaxson50
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Where did you hear that?  The states control enforcement only.  They do not make the big decision:

Federal Law

The federal government derives its authority for isolation and quarantine from the Commerce Clause of the U.S. Constitution.

Under section 361 of the Public Health Service Act (42 U.S. Code § 264), the U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services is authorized to take measures to prevent the entry and spread of communicable diseases from foreign countries into the United States and between states.

The authority for carrying out these functions on a daily basis has been delegated to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

CDC’s Role

Under 42 Code of Federal Regulations parts 70 and 71, CDC is authorized to detain, medically examine, and release persons arriving into the United States and traveling between states who are suspected of carrying these communicable diseases.

As part of its federal authority, CDC routinely monitors persons arriving at U.S. land border crossings and passengers and crew arriving at U.S. ports of entry for signs or symptoms of communicable diseases.

When alerted about an ill passenger or crew  member by the pilot of a plane or captain of a ship, CDC may detain passengers and crew as necessary to investigate whether the cause of the illness on board is a communicable disease.

State, Local, and Tribal Law

States have police power functions to protect the health, safety, and welfare of persons within their borders. To control the spread of disease within their borders, states have laws to enforce the use of isolation and quarantine.

These laws can vary from state to state and can be  specific or broad. In some states, local health authorities implement state law. In most states, breaking a quarantine order is a criminal misdemeanor.

Tribes also have police power authority to take actions that promote the health, safety, and welfare of their own tribal members. Tribal health authorities may enforce their own isolation and quarantine laws within tribal lands, if such laws exist.

Who Is in Charge

The federal government

• Acts to prevent the entry of communicable diseases into the United States. Quarantine and isolation may be used at U.S. ports of entry.
  • Is authorized to take measures to prevent the spread of communicable diseases between states.
  • May accept state and local assistance in enforcing federal quarantine.
  • May assist state and local authorities in preventing the spread of communicable diseases.

State, local, and tribal authorities

• Enforce isolation and quarantine within their borders.

It is possible for federal, state, local, and tribal health authorities to have and use all at the same time separate but coexisting legal quarantine power in certain events. In the event of a conflict, federal law is supreme.

Enforcement

If a quarantinable disease is suspected or identified, CDC may issue a federal isolation or quarantine order.

Public health authorities at the federal, state, local, and tribal levels may sometimes seek help from police or other law enforcement officers to enforce a public health order.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection and U.S. Coast Guard officers are authorized to help enforce federal quarantine orders.

Breaking a federal quarantine order is punishable by fines and imprisonment.

Federal law allows the conditional release of persons from quarantine if they comply with medical monitoring and surveillance.

In the rare event that a federal order is issued by CDC, those individuals will be provided with an order for quarantine or isolation. An example of a Quarantine Order for Novel Coronavirus (print-only) pdf icon[PDF – 5 pages] is provided. This document outlines the rationale of the federal order as well as information on where the individual will be located, quarantine requirements including the length of the order, CDC’s legal authority, and information outlining what the individual can expect while under federal order.

Federal Quarantine Rarely used

Large-scale isolation and quarantine was last enforced during the influenza (“Spanish Flu”) pandemic in 1918–1919. In recent history, only a few public health events have prompted federal isolation or quarantine orders.

Source: https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/aboutlawsregulationsquarantineisolation.html

You seriously believe there is a Federal Govt. Lockdown?????????? And the states are NOT doing it??????????????????

No wonder.

You are completely wrong, and obviously have not watched any news on any station.

• Like 3

Nassau County Executive  ruled this week that ...  You are not allowed to play doubles tennis (2 on each side of the net) only singles - one on each side.  AND you are NOT allowed to touch the tennis ball if you opponent touched it.  So, each of you has to bring your own and keep them straight.  This is where I was brought up - first 'suburban' county on Long Island, outside of Queens Country, NYC.  At what point do the frogs realize the intent is to boil them, and jump out of the pot ??