Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone have the week 43 Explorer with Maestro yet?

GuitarJunkie

I was talking to a dealer who phoned the canadian distributor and they said it could be as late as october before I get my Explorer!?!?

I called Gibson and the guy on the phone said he has no way to check production numbers, but in his words, "yeah, that's possible". Apparently the way the GOW series works is that it's a maximum of 400 built, and they only build enough to fulfill the initial orders plus a few extra. In other words, if they release a piece of crap and only get 50 orders they might only make 75. If, 6 months later Slash decides to start using the week 51 Lime Green ES-335 and they get orders for 500 more, they make the other 325 (and then probably reissue it in 3 more colors like the Reverse V). If it's an unpopular model, then they might only make the initial 75, and that's it.

Has anyone got theirs yet?

I do not know that I would wait that long or any longer. It looks like your are at risk of not getting one at all.

American Musical seems to have them in stock. I had placed an order before this model came out with them and then cancelled it, it may be a little farfetched but maybe that is the reason they have it in stock.

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-GIB-DSXP-TA.html

Seriously I would call American Musical, see if they do indeed have it in stock, see if they ship to Canada and if all of the answers are yes...

• 2 weeks later...

I love the soudn with the 57 Classics. The guitar itself has some minor tuning issues. Nothing serious but the strings stick in the nut just a little bit after a big pitch change. No biggie, I tune it when it comes out of the case (and the vibrato is compressed). It's usually not off too much. Fit and finish were flawless. Honestly, it's my first experience with 57 classics and I'm floored. The 500T/496R in my other explorer always sounded good to me but comparatively, they're scooped and brittle.

I was slightly disappointed when I saw the week 43 explorer with the vibrato. Gibson saved some of the better ones for last. I couldn't wait I picked up on the flame top explorer from week 4. The explorer pickups aren't stellar so I threw in some '57 classics my friend gave me and now she is a beauty. And to think I bought her only for 900 at guitar center Nashville.

Archived