Gibson Brands Forums

for krasiparvanov...

Jayla

Thank you so much, Jayla!

I adore this song.

I saw this video for the first time about 6 months ago in youtube. I really love that. I really love the "ordinary" way both of them are palying and singing it.

"Here comes the sun" sounds to me like a prayer-thankfulness to the rising sun. To the comming-again sun after the "long, cold, lonely winter". It is so simply said, so simply played and sung... It is perfect. Two friends sitting singing two songs just like that... No elecronics, no effects, just unpluged - only microphones for the guitars. They are playing so carefully...

When I play and sing this song I feel some obsession of a peace of mind and calmness... When I am unhappy for some reason (like in this moment right now here where I am living it is the end of that long,cold and lonely winter and my energy is 10%) I take the guitar and do this song and it makes me happy just because I am alive.

I love allso this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaFgU0C2Rtw&feature=channel_page

But this performance is with a little bit more tension.

George Harrisson was a great man - God rest his soul.........

Very much appreciate your comments, particularly about the Harrison-Simon performance which I had never seen before today. Thought of your earlier post when I saw it, hence this thread. I also liked the Bon Jovi version you posted. It was apparently done just weeks after Harrison's death.

I agree that GH was a special player/writer, and I enjoy playing many of his songs. My very favorite is "Long, long, long" from the "White Album."

I love this performance of "Here Comes The Sun" with Harrison and Simon. I think it is the way the song SHOULD always be played; capo 5 with a much easier and more gentle tempo and delivery. With your (G7th) capo at 5, once you've finished wowing them (or yourself) with this rendition of HCTS, you can launch right into the beautiful acoustic arrangement of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" (also capo 5). Again, I prefer the acoustic version with the extra verse to the heavy rock number on the White Album.

Thanks for posting the video, it had disappeared from YouTube and I miss it!

I agree that GH was a special player/writer' date=' and I enjoy playing many of his songs. My very favorite is "Long, long, long" from the "White Album."

I think that Harisson was a kind of "supressed" by John and Paul. And not so much of his songs are included in the early Beatles Albums. I think tha Harisson could write more songs if John and Paul have let him do.

I allso love "Long Long Long" but I don't like the way it is recorded in the White album. I think that this song is a little bit confused - I would not place there those drums... And I suppose that this is because of John and Paul. Of course the White album is a sort of "research" in pop music. Mixture of stiles, a little bit confusion... When I was a scool boy I adored this album, but now I am listening it with my 47 year ols ears and I find things that I don't like.

I even know that "Something" was allready done and Harisson offered it for the White album, but the other two people said that there is no place for this song in the White...

And luckily - Something and Here comes the sun are the mastareaces in Abbey Road!

This is my personal opinion and I don't want to offend nobody.

I love very much John and Paul. I don't know them as human beans - only I know them like "stars" but I consider that George was the most "ordinary" man of The Beatles. The most "simlpe" man. The most "well grounded".

I allso love very much "Here comes the Moon", "My dark sweet lady", "Your love is forever"...

I love very much "Apple scruffs" [-o</

Regret! Regret is what I feel about the fact that he is not here anymore......

He was just F I N E!!!!!!

Here i propose to all of you some (I think) interesting performances of George's songs"

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=18521139&searchid=1f2b1039-84cb-4b78-b657-14a5f5f39ccc

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=25496242&searchid=1f2b1039-84cb-4b78-b657-14a5f5f39ccc

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=15974258&searchid=1f2b1039-84cb-4b78-b657-14a5f5f39ccc

what is george playing in that video? looks like a martin d-18s to me.

I believe you are right. Beautiful full-bodied 12 fret guitar.

I always get frustrated when I think about George, especially in the '66 to '70 years with The Beatles. He was really coming on as a songwriter and not only were many of his songs not good enough for the great L&M, they took his job away as lead guitarist on many of their own songs and his songs (eg. Day Tripper, Taxman) Must have been hard to bear Paul telling him how to play.

There is a great scene in "Let It Be" where George is alone with Ringo and he presents his song "I Me Mine" to him. Interesting how he wouldn't bring it to the entire group.

I miss George. Wonderful spirit.

All those videos were great, especially that first rendition of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" on the ukelele -- wow! And I definitely concur with you guys about Harrison, his talent, and that fact that his absence is terrible. I know I'm sounding like a fan here, and I guess that's because I am. His work both with and without the Beatles really touched me and I'm very sorry he's gone.

A couple more things: he was the first, I believe, to really draw the attention of the music lovers of the west to Indian classical music, which is another gift he shared with us. Hearing sitars and tablas on "Revolver" and afterwards, I was intrigued and sought that music out. It has become a lifelong interest of mine. He was also -- for better or worse -- the first to organize a major pop benefit concert for a social cause.

And about the "White Album" in general and "Long, long, long" in particular -- I agree krasiparvanov that that LP is uneven and quirky, but I still feel it's a fine one, much stronger all over than some of their other, more highly touted records (like Sergeant Pepper for example). There are some truly wonderful numbers there: "Dear Prudence," "Julia," "Happiness is a Warm Gun," et al. As for "Long, long, long," I like the odd mix, with the drums really up front, that strange "Ah, AHHHHH..." that ends the bridge, and the frightening ending howl and rattle. It has always been for me a highpoint on that LP. It's so quiet, after "Helter Skelter," that you almost don't hear it. A bit like George himself, in that group.

Oh, and I think you guys are talking about Clapton on the 12-string, unless the ghost of Harrison was there somewhere playing one of his own (that old Harptone, for example).

what is george playing in that video? looks like a martin d-18s to me

Juding by the fretboard binding, slotted head stock, and 12 fret body I'm pretty sure this is a D-35S, and in this case a D-35S played very well indeed.

Thanks for the links.... While the Beatles were just a bit before my time (I was born in 1961) I have become a great fan from listening to them during my high school and college years in the late 70's and early 80's. George really made an impression on me with his "All Things Must Pass" album. "My Sweet Lord" has been an all time favorite of mine.

Cost George a few quid that one!

yes, i was never really sure what to make of that judgment. i mean there's no denying the melody of the song is the same, or whatever the criteria was to rule against him but, i still can't imagine him consciously thinking he could get away with stealing the tune. i can't spell plagerize.

check out THE CHIFFONS "he's so fine". you'd prolly like that too.

George improved a boring, forgettable song, making it into a classic, timeless work of art.

How about John's "improvement" of Chuck Berry's song "You Can't Catch Me"?

Hey,

I have never really know nothing about "The chiffons" and "He's so fine". 5 minutes ago I listened that song for the first time in my life. This is strange... What is the possibility that George did not never listen to that song?

I don't know that because I did not know nothing about "He's so fine" untill today.

If he did not know that song- well O.K.

But if he knew the song - this IS a plaguiarisme.

The question here is WHY George did that (because he surely knew the "He's so fine" song).

Hey' date='

I have never really know nothing about "The chiffons" and "He's so fine". 5 minutes ago I listened that song for the first time in my life. This is strange... What is the possibility that George did not never listen to that song?

I don't know that because I did not know nothing about "He's so fine" untill today.

If he did not know that song- well O.K.

But if he knew the song - this IS a plaguiarisme.

The question here is WHY George did that (because he surely knew the "He's so fine" song).[/quote']

The short answer is... because he could! He was a Beatle. And everyone else is doing it all over the place anyway. The difference in George's case is... because he was a Beatle - in other words, the owners of HSF and the lawyers for Harrison got into a legal tussel because there was MONEY to be made in a Beatle litigation. It looks like Klein didn't help too much and greed got the better of the owners of HSF.

When John "used" You Can't Catch Me for Come Together he made a deal with Chuck Berry for it (IIRC after Chuck had his lawyers contact him). With George a simple phone call and a deal on royalties etc. would have probably fixed the whole thing before becoming a big court case issue. But I bet he didn't even think it would be an issue.

• 4 weeks later...

My favorite beatles song to play is "Blackbird". It's such a fun song to play and sing and it has such a full sound. Right now I can't afford an acoustic but I just pick it on my SG and it sounds really good.

It blows my mind how people can write such nice music like that.

My favorite beatles song to play is "Blackbird".

It blows my mind how people can write such nice music like that.

I adore that song. Pitty that I can not sing it - Paul McCartney has a voice much higher than mine and I don't want to change tonality. So I only play it :-)

These days I plan to learn to play&sing "Apple scruffs" of GH, but I have no harmonica :-)

Archived