Gibson Brands Forums

Old Haunts

ghost_of_fl

I grew up in Long Island, and naturally at some point in my youth, a group of friends with nothing better to do said "hey let's go check out the Amityville Horror House".  So we did.  

For those who don't know the story:

On November 13, 1974, the estate was the scene of mass murder.  Using a .35 Marlin rifle, 23-year-old Ronald J. DeFeo Jr. murdered his entire family while they were asleep, which included his parents and four siblings.  On the same night, he went to a local bar and confessed what he had done. 

112 Ocean Avenue in 1974:

AmityvilleHorror_1_begin-1536x975.jpg

The upstairs windows added to the mystique - they kind of looked like eyes which helped the narrative that the house itself was possessed.  Great for movies. 

112_ocean_avenue.jpg?resize=1024,815&qua

By the time I was old enough to drive by and gawk like so many kids have done, the house had  been renovated.  Notably, the ominous quarter-circle upstairs windows are now squared off.  The address was changed to 108 Ocean Avenue at some point.

lg_dce284-amityvillehorrorhouse_driveway

The story above is the only part that is known to be true.  Afterwards, subsequent owners of the home, book authors and movies enhanced and ultimately re-wrote the story.    I have seen this house from the front yard and also from a boat off the shore (the infamous boathouse is gone).  I never got any weird feeling - it just looks like a house.  

Seems like every area has at least one place like that with an ominous back story.  Anyone else have one to share about your hometown?  

• Sad 1

Not sure if anyone watched the Gordon Ramsey episode last week where he went to help rebuild some restaurants in old Ellicott City Maryland that were damaged by floods twice in three years. 

Well when we were teenagers, Ellicott City had a lot of spooky, supposedly haunted or occult related places. We would go out to party at places like Seven Hills, or The Haunted School. There was some weird hill that if you stopped your car and put it in neutral, it would supposedly roll uphill. Mostly young people were just killed or injured in horrible crashes on the dark, windy, hilly roads though.  

• Thanks 1

this thread reminds me of when I was a senior, (1976) at the end of the school year, as is the custom, during the last few weeks of School, we all could elect Field Trips to go on. 

One of them was grave stone rubbing for Art.   For those who are not familiar, a large sheet of drawing paper is placed over a grave stone, and with a piece of artist charcoal, you'd just rub the paper, transferring the carving on the stone to the paper) 

My wife (who at the time was my GF) and I signed up and the group of us  went to about 4 or 5 cemeteries in the area.  The older, the better.   

The last one was one of the oldest places in Fitchburg Mass.  It was located well out side of the busier city limits.  Not a lot of houses around the area.  Perfect place for a cemetery.  

The morning we left the school parking lot, it was a sunny, mild mid May morning.  Once we got to the destination, the sun was obliterated by clouds, and it had gone quite a bit cooler than when we left the parking lot in Leominster (where we live, and went to school)   The weather had changed so abruptly that along the road leading to this place, you could see fog starting to form in the surrounding woods. 

we finally get to this place, and it seriously  looked just like something right out of a Steven King  novel.  Rusted and dilapidated  main gate, with a  long neglected stone wall marking the boundaries, headstones seemingly placed at random whims going off into the back of the place.  The one thing we all notice as we all get out of our cars, is how quiet it was.  No birds, no sounds of life in this place at all. 

With that creepy silence, and the fog shrouding the place,  none of the girls in the group were interested in going past those gates.  Our art teacher, who was a pretty hip lady for the time, maybe in her late 20s, said for everyone to get back in the car, and we'd just stop at an ice cream parlor that we passed on the way there.

As we get into the cars, the teachers car doesn't start.  Thankfully I had a set of jumpers in my car, and I just prayed that this wasn't the time my piece of crap '67 Mercury Montego was also not gonna start.   It did, so we got the teachers car running again and got out of there.

I'll never forget this day.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, kidblast said:

The morning we left the school parking lot, it was a sunny, mild mid May morning.  Once we got to the destination, the sun was obliterated by clouds, and it had gone quite a bit cooler than when we left the parking lot in Leominster (where we live, and went to school)   The weather had changed so abruptly that along the road leading to this place, you could see fog starting to form in the surrounding woods. 

we finally get to this place, and it seriously  looked just like something right out of a Steven King  novel.  Rusted and dilapidated  main gate, with a  long neglected stone wall marking the boundaries, headstones seemingly placed at random whims going off into the back of the place.  The one thing we all notice as we all get out of our cars, is how quiet it was.  No birds, no sounds of life in this place at all. 

With that creepy silence, and the fog shrouding the place,  none of the girls in the group were interested in going past those gates.  Our art teacher, who was a pretty hip lady for the time, maybe in her late 20s, said for everyone to get back in the car, and we'd just stop at an ice cream parlor that we passed on the way there.

As we get into the cars, the teachers car doesn't start.  Thankfully I had a set of jumpers in my car, and I just prayed that this wasn't the time my piece of crap '67 Mercury Montego was also not gonna start.   It did, so we got the teachers car running again and got out of there.

I'll never forget this day.

Very spooky indeed....have you ever been back or even just driven past? 

Don't think I'd go near the place after what happened with the car!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, jdgm said:

Very spooky indeed....have you ever been back or even just driven past? 

Don't think I'd go near the place after what happened with the car!

Actually, yes.  I was in a band with a guy about 20 years ago.  turns out, he lived a few miles down the road from this place.  It had been so long since I didn't realize it until I saw it as we drove past it when I took him home one night after a gig when his car was in the shop. 

The gates had been removed, but the pillars it was attached to still stood. 

I told him about that day.   He agreed the place was creepy but he'd never walked around in there. On the way home I may have stepped on the gas a littler harder when I went by.   After that night, I do remember how to get there now, not that I will ever visit...   It really is one creepy place.

• Thanks 1

Good stuff all!  Long Island has quite a few ominous attractions.  Here is another that is just a short drive from the "Amityville Horror House":

In Massapequa, NY there is a very normal neighborhood. Typical Long Island suburbia.  But then you see this very out-of-place house:

214 Daniel Road, North Massapequa

HauntedHouse_103114A.jpg

The picture above does NOT do it justice.  We used to call it "The Devil House".  The public sidewalks out front were painted black. It used to have demonic looking gargoyles - it looks like those have been taken down.  And the perfect touch - it has a black 442 hotrod in the driveway.  Too perfect.  

I always suspected this house could have been the inspiration for the house in "The Burbs" (movie with Tom Hanks and Corey Feldman):

the-burbs.jpg

Three years ago, my son and I, my son-in-law, and my daughter-in-law’s cousin went on a ghost hunt at Missouri State Penitentiary.  I did not see what I would call a ghost or apparition.  I wasn’t expecting to see anything considered ghostly or scary.  It’s not that I doubt the possibility of a world beyond this one, but I just don’t believe in evil ghosts, etc.   I was expecting a very dark and ominous place that that I would find very interesting due to its history.  It was exactly that.  However, on Death Row, I truly did see shadows of people.  I was the only one there.  No one else on Death Row.  I saw them looking-out from inside cells that were 15-20ft from me.   One time I saw a complete shadow of a man walk in front of me.  None of this frightened me.  None of it was threatening.  Kind of creepy, because I didn’t know what it was........My three companions went to the “loony bin” cells in the blockhouse basement.    They all three say they heard people arguing right near them, but no one else was there.  As they left, they all heard someone say “So long” and the cell door slammed behind them.  They still talk about how heavy the cell doors were and that there was no wind or breeze to shut it.  I wish I had gone down there with them.  We’ve been talking about going back.  Maybe after this virus stuff is over.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, kidblast said:

wow!  what a house...

I've taken the tour when I was in grade school. It is huge. The lady who owned it was married to the man who made Winchester Rifles. She though the ghosts of the the people that died by his gun were haunting her. So she always kept building on the house and she had built in stairways that went to no where and doors that open to walls, believing that would fool the ghosts.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I've taken the tour when I was in grade school. It is huge. The lady who owned it was married to the man who made Winchester Rifles. She though the ghosts of the the people that died by his gun were haunting her. So she always kept building on the house and she had built in stairways that went to no where and doors that open to walls, believing that would fool the ghosts.

I have read up on this one too.  It is quite the sprawl.  wonder what it's valued at?  at the least,  several million maybe?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kidblast said:

I have read up on this one too.  It is quite the sprawl.  wonder what it's valued at?  at the least,  several million maybe?

Millions and millions its f-ing huge. And its in Cali. Just the land along has got to be a bunch of millions.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 2

That's a great one to add here.  The Stephen King mini-series "Rose Red" was loosely based on the story of the Winchester mansion.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_Red_(miniseries)#Writing

I would definitely tour Missouri State Penn but it's a far trip for me.   I had one 'shadow person' experience that really confused me.   I was at the graveyard next to the memorial in Salem Mass. for the people who were persecuted there as "witches".  Apparently that is the one and only memorial for those people in Salem.   As I was scanning the graveyard, it looked like a see-through person just got up and walked away from one of the gravestones.  I could see through whatever it was.   I've never seen anything like it before or after that. 

30 minutes ago, LarryUK said:

My house is haunted. I've lived here around 15 years now and lots of strange things have happened I've seen lights, heard footsteps and sounds like books being dropped.  My dogs get really spooked here. It's a nice place to live though and I'm ok with anything that wants to be here.   http://www.birminghamconservationtrust.org/2014/03/04/arts-crafts-library/

image.jpeg.505f6199814aa628ff8110d1fe34f571.jpeg

Have you ever recorded any music and later heard ghostly noises on it?

Very cool looking house BTW.  I bet it's the same inside. 

• Like 1

After my original response here, I got curious and looked up that old school we used to explore. It was actually an old Seminary called St Mary's and was nicknamed Hell House.

I remember one summer day three of us went exploring Potapsco State  Park, which borders Ellicott City, and we wound up stumbling onto this old abandoned monastery looking thing. We had a cooler of beer with us and it was rattling as we walked through the woods. At some point the path split and went around these well manicured hedges. I thought it was odd that the grounds were so well cared for when the place was obviously abandoned. We split up and two of us went to the left around the bushes and the other went to the right. From Jerry's direction I heard a female voice shout, "Get the @#$^ out of here!" and then we heard Jerry's voice say, "hey man, there's two lesbians here". Then there was more shouting from the females that they were calling the cops, etc. We got outa there, but Jerry swore when he came around those bushes the two girls were getting down with each other right on the grass. Damn. I always take the wrong path. 😎

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/st-mary-s-college

StMarys (1).jpg

StMarys (2).jpg

• Thanks 1

On 5/22/2020 at 6:54 PM, brad1 said:

Have you ever recorded any music and later heard ghostly noises on it?

Very cool looking house BTW.  I bet it's the same inside. 

I've not tried, but I've had ghost groups here. I've tried to upload photo's but it say's they're too large.  

• Thanks 1

The Knollwood Estate (AKA "King Zog's Castle"), Muttontown NY

An abandoned Gold Coast-era mansion once intended for the exiled ruler of Albania, who never arrived. 

W1siZiIsInVwbG9hZHMvcGxhY2VfaW1hZ2VzLzc5

The term "Gold Coast" refers to the north shore of Long Island where the wealthy built insane mansions.  The book "The Great Gatsby" is set in that time period on the Gold Coast. 

Anyway - this was my experience with "King Zog's Castle":

I went there with friends at night. You have to follow the trail markers through a maze of trails to find the location of the estate.  It was long ago torn down, but there are some remnants still there.  

If you know where to look, there is a plywood board on the ground in a random spot in the woods. If you lift it up, there is a hole in the ground.  If you carefully drop down into that hole, you will find yourself in a HUGE basement that must have been under one of the parts of the estate.  We used to call it "The Echo Chamber" for obvious reasons.  Good stuff, but dangerous, as nobody knew we were down there. 

W1siZiIsInVwbG9hZHMvcGxhY2VfaW1hZ2VzLzY5

W1siZiIsInVwbG9hZHMvcGxhY2VfaW1hZ2VzLzk0

51DH63280YL._SX312_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Edited by ghost_of_fl

• 3 weeks later...

There is a place in South Jersey called the Hancock House that was used to secretly house colonial soldiers during the American Revolutionary War.  Over time, the British eventually discovered it and launched a night surprise attack while they sleeping.  As the story goes they were all massacred up in the attic with traces of blood still on the floorboards--growing up this was a popular field trip for school kids; years later we took our kids while visiting and of course I had build up the story to get them "wired" . 

Things got weird upon arrival because the house had not opened yet for visitors and while waiting saw "movement" in the attic windows.  Upon entering, the tour guide showed us most of the house but said the attic was closed off for renovations (there was even had a padlock on the door).  My guess is maybe birds got in but who knows....

hancock.jpg

• Like 1

Mount Misery & Sweet Hollow Road, Melville/Huntington, NY

Located within the West Hills County Park, Mount Misery is the highest peak of Long Island at a whopping 400 feet above sea level (also known as "Jayne's Hill"). 

There is a crazy amount of lore centered around Mount Misery and Sweet Hollow Road.  It is said that during the 1700s, a mental asylum was built in the woods.  It burned to the ground about 10 years later and the site remains an empty forest.  People report hearing screams from the patients and possibly the employees. 

Sweet Hollow Road runs parallel to Mount Misery and is located within West Hills Park.  Supposedly several people died along this road and they are said to haunt the area.  There is an overpass where you can stop and if you put the car in neutral, a ghost woman (who died while changing a tire under the overpass) is supposed to push your car to safety - of course in reality likely due to an incline.  There are lots of stories about both sites. 

I spent many nights in those woods.  It was a spooky place for sure, but we had safety in numbers.  There is a camp site if you know where to look where there is a huge fire ring. But most of it looks like this:

End-of-Mount-Misery-road-near-Huntington

This is the infamous overpass:

sweethollowroad2.jpg

Edited by ghost_of_fl