Gibson Brands Forums

NGD 1960's J-50

kelly campbell

Played it 4 times ? That's serious. Remember- it doesn't exist until you click your heels three times, and post a pic.  Imgur is working fine just now- you should be able to click on the BBCode copy button to imbed it directly here on your thread.

You really know how to build the suspense- 'hope you can post it soon. Of course, a clip would really be great, but let's just take baby steps for now ;  ).

Congrats on the pre-pay play. And on the '50. enjoy.

Edited by 62burst
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, 62burst said:

Played it 4 times ? That's serious. Remember- it doesn't exist until you click your heels three times, and post a pic.  Imgur is working fine just now- you should be able to click on the BBCode copy button to imbed it directly here on your thread.

You really know how to build the suspense- 'hope you can post it soon. Of course, a clip would really be great, but let's just take baby steps for now ;  ).

Congrats on the pre-pay play. And on the '50. enjoy.

62 burst,

I think you got it slightly wrong. This is an example of the quantum mechanics problem of Campbell's Guitar, which states that until the picture is posted, there are various states of probability in which Kelly owns the guitar, he doesn't own the guitar, and these probabilites will only collapse down to one reality, when the picture is posted.

Hey, I didn't make this stuff up.

Blame Erwin Schrodinger. Who even knew he played a guitar?

RBSinTo

19 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

62 burst,

I think you got it slightly wrong. This is an example of the quantum mechanics problem of Campbell's Guitar, which states that until the picture is posted, there are various states of probability in which Kelly owns the guitar, he doesn't own the guitar, and these probabilites will only collapse down to one reality, when the picture is posted.

Hey, I didn't make this stuff up.

Blame Erwin Schrodinger. Who even knew he played a guitar?

RBSinTo

My badness. Cabarone probably came closer to the logical absurdity in his  Hummingbird (Limited Edition)12 string "I got it/ no, I don't got it" thread. I feel his pain- we should take up a go fund me to get that 'Bird 12'er for him. That's what I get for being a semi-conscious observer.

Congratulations KC!

So as far as I can tell by the official specs page, the "60's J50" has a 1.69" nut (1 11/16") and an adjustable saddle using Tusq. And those 2 little items probably make it play very differently than the "50's J50" with 1.72" nut and 'normal' bone saddle. I would love to play some of these lined up in a row at my preferred music shop but no sign of the new models in Australia as yet - plus the shops aren't open.

Have fun!

BluesKing777.

• Like 1

Looks great. That first photo is dramatic. . . hi-reso on the fretboard & spruce.  And one of the nicest mahogany backs I've seen for a while.

Now- since it's quite adjustable. . . just how high are those strings off the deck? 😀

enjoy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

Congratulations KC!

So as far as I can tell by the official specs page, the "60's J50" has a 1.69" nut (1 11/16") and an adjustable saddle using Tusq. And those 2 little items probably make it play very differently than the "50's J50" with 1.72" nut and 'normal' bone saddle. I would love to play some of these lined up in a row at my preferred music shop but no sign of the new models in Australia as yet - plus the shops aren't open.

Have fun!

BluesKing777.

Looks good!  I am also really curious to hear how this would sound next to a new non-adjustable saddle model to get a true idea of how it changes the tone - two new guitars would remove variables such as age, modifications, wear and tear etc.  

1 hour ago, vw1300 said:

Looks good!  I am also really curious to hear how this would sound next to a new non-adjustable saddle model to get a true idea of how it changes the tone - two new guitars would remove variables such as age, modifications, wear and tear etc.  

Thanks, they have the 50's model out so I was able to play and compare both all four visits..I liked the 60's by far.  The 50's model was pretty good however.

3 hours ago, 62burst said:

Looks great. That first photo is dramatic. . . hi-reso on the fretboard & spruce.  And one of the nicest mahogany backs I've seen for a while.

Now- since it's quite adjustable. . . just how high are those strings off the deck? 😀

enjoy.

They are a tad high for my liking..but thought I would try them where they are at but I believe it may get adjusted. but I have not measured ..yet

Beautiful guitar!   I own a  2006 “Faded Cherry Sunburst 1964 CS J-45” also with a TUSQ saddle in an ADJ bridge.   It looks like the twin of your guitar except for the natural finish that J-50 models  have.   Mine is a great guitar as I am sure yours is, also.  What was really interesting about mine is initially it was kind of a mellow sounding guitar and then somewhere along the way it totally opened up and became a guitar with a ton of volume and percussion dynamics.    Gibsons are great at evolving as they open up, which makes playing and keeping them all that more interesting!  Enjoy your musical journey with your new 60s J-50!   

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

• Like 1

Wonderful guitar!! Those Adj bridge reissues are some of the best strummers I've ever heard. I tried a translucent orange one that my dealer friend Glenn had in stock and was blown away by it as a guitar for rhythm playing. It was a fine fingerstyle instrument too, but the sound of it under a pick was just exquisite. 

• Like 1

The other advantage of course with the adjustable bridge is that setup work is SO easy. No more second guessing bridge height, you can dial it in however you wish on the fly. 

Terrific tool for flyaway touring if you're in and out of areas with different temps and humidity which cause the action to need regular tweaks. I wish my clients were playing these back in the day when I was working as a touring tech!

• Like 1

Very nice! This is really the only current Gibson model that interests me, but spending $2500 for a guitar that I don't need just ain't gonna happen, so I'll just have to be content with my 2008 J-50 and real 1965 J-50. 😉

Edited by Boyd
  • Like 1