Gibson Brands Forums

Tone control

Ige

Hi. I'm doing a restoration on a Gibson Chet Atkins CEC # D058: New Shadow transducer and new preamp.

But I cannot get  the tone control working properly. I have tried several capacitors, but very little effect.

Can somebody tell me what's wrong ...

Regards Bjorn Igeland, Norway

2 hours ago, Ige said:

Hi. I'm doing a restoration on a Gibson Chet Atkins CEC # D058: New Shadow transducer and new preamp.

But I cannot get  the tone control working properly. I have tried several capacitors, but very little effect.

Can somebody tell me what's wrong ...

Regards Bjorn Igeland, Norway

Can you post a pic of what schematic your using. It could be alot of things or a cap.

Thanks for quick reply. This is the  preamp I have :https://reverb.com/item/26760556-gibson-chet-atkins-ce-circuitboard-preamp

If you look at the Down/right of it, there is 4 pins. When I soldered a pot to the  2 to the right, I got boost/maybe some change i tone. Is it right to use this?

I have tried several capacitors - soldered i the common way between vol- and tone pot. Very little responce. 

Strange. Do you have a solution?

Regards Bjorn

5 hours ago, Ige said:

Thanks for quick reply. This is the  preamp I have :https://reverb.com/item/26760556-gibson-chet-atkins-ce-circuitboard-preamp

If you look at the Down/right of it, there is 4 pins. When I soldered a pot to the  2 to the right, I got boost/maybe some change i tone. Is it right to use this?

I have tried several capacitors - soldered i the common way between vol- and tone pot. Very little responce. 

Strange. Do you have a solution?

Regards Bjorn

Like I said I need to see the schematic of what you're doing and what you're supposed to connect that pre amp to.  I've soldered many guitars but I just can't tell you it a cap because you connected something and  that and doesn't work. If you can post a schematic and give me readings of where you're checking stuff I can help a little bit.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Hei, again. I cannot find a schematic of the preamp, Only a drawing of the connecting lugs. Since the limit to attach files here is 20kB (and the file is 72kB) it is impossible to send it. But as I can see , the bass pot can be connected directly to the print board. I tried that and got a bass boost when turning the pot. I have seen pics of the volume/tone Controls where on one it looked as a common tone Control With a capacitor. On another there was two leads (from each pot) going back to the preamp. Maybe mine is that "type" … I try carry on researching. Thanks for Your support so far.   Regards Bjorn