Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul

TL5

Ok so that is not a Standard or Reissue.

Trapezoid markers, with no binding on the body or around neck is good tell that it's some sort of variant of a studio.   The all black hardware is kind of mystery for me as most studios had chrome or gold plated.  It is remotely possible it's a retail or limited run, like something Gibson made for a place Guitar Center or something like that, but this is really just me guessing. 

I wouldn't want to suggest that this would mean is is any more or less valuable for resale, but it is something that Gibson (among other makers) do with the larger retail chains from time to time.

You could email Gibson customer support, with the pics, and serial number they'd probably be able to nail it down a bit closer.   Or post this same information in the Gibson USA sub forum (https://forum.gibson.com/forum/83-gibson-usa/).  There may be some one who has a good idea on what you have there.

Good Luck!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TL5 said:

8DCDB914-DF80-46B7-B4D5-7D8A4B8BA6A5.thumb.jpeg.07b8e082924e9a90819dcaa95965ea0d.jpeg

Hi TL5;

What you have there is a 96 L.P. Studio Lite, were made for a few years in late 80's to midish 90's. Black hardware would have been stock. Lite due to chromite (balsa) inserts for weight relief rather than Swiss cheese or chambered, if I recall correctly, but my memory can be murky at times.

Hope that helps.

Johnny

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Johnny 6 String said:

Hi TL5;

What you have there is a 96 L.P. Studio Lite, were made for a few years in late 80's to midish 90's. Black hardware would have been stock. Lite due to chromite (balsa) inserts for weight relief rather than Swiss cheese or chambered, if I recall correctly, but my memory can be murky at times.

Hope that helps.

Johnny

Well there ya go!  nice Johnny...  The "lite" crossed my mind, but I wasn't sure about the "date" ranges.

• Thanks 1

Hey Kid,

yeah these stretched over a few years for sure, maybe even in the late 80's early 90's. Various colors and burst and hardware options over the different runs, think some even came with a trem, want to say Kahler (know some L.P. Customs had the Kahlers in this same period), but that murky memory again.

Johnny

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Johnny 6 String said:

Hey Kid,

yeah these stretched over a few years for sure, maybe even in the late 80's early 90's. Various colors and burst and hardware options over the different runs, think some even came with a trem, want to say Kahler (know some L.P. Customs had the Kahlers in this same period), but that murky memory again.

Johnny

could have been,  I remember seeing the trem versions as well.  I can't recall if it was the FR or the Kahler.

RCT, Right the GEMS were mid/late 90s too. 

I have never. ever. bonded. with P90's.  Those 100's I had were nice, I did like them a lot.  I've had more than a halfa dozen P90'd guitars in my life and I haven't had one in 5 or 7 years now.

rct

Oh absolutely.  Are you Seymour Duncan?  Because he wants me to do that too!  I use his Stacks and he has a stacked P90.  I'll have to get a guitar for it.  What a great problem to have to face.

rct

Lol no not SD, although he does have a staple pick up that's been screaming to go into a LPC in have. One day I'll find out if it sounds as good as it looks.

That is a terrible terrible problem you have, especially with all the shops closed, can't buy what you cant touch.

I'm sure that staple soapbar sounds as great as it can, and as great as you want it to.  He's pretty good at making them like that.

I don't mind buying through the mail though.  So I just have to face up to it.  I need another Tele so I can stacked P90 it.  I'll work on some affirmations.

rct

I'm sure it does, one day I will find out. (Just need the exchange rate to get better)

Never bonded well with Teles, had one a while back, put just about every pick up in the neck, fav was a p90. Just could not get along with the neck. Have a Squire Tele  right now, has a beefier neck which is helping the bonding process. Hmm....might have a soap bar somewhere in the parts boxes.

Johnny

Edited by Johnny 6 String