Gibson Brands Forums

Repairing a banner logo

Rah67123

I’m hoping to get some advice on a 44 banner that I’m trading for. I’m really excited to finally be able to get one. It’s definitely a players guitar and although it’s a banner, the logo has peeled away. Do you think this can be redone to look decent?

98BAF58A-89FD-4585-84B6-C4CD0BAC4009.png

Edited by Rah67123

It should have been a painted on logo, I think. I don't think it would be a decal, but that looks like one that's peeled off.

It can be re-done, but the only guy I know who makes correct friskets (stencils) is pretty pissy about doing it.

I can understand the desire to do it, but it might be better from a value perspective to leave it as-is, depending on the condition of the rest of the guitar, and the model. 

If the guitar is completely original, you may want to keep it that way, other than things that are easily reversed like tuners and pins.

21 hours ago, jedzep said:

It should have been a painted on logo, I think. I don't think it would be a decal, but that looks like one that's peeled off.

I'm far more familiar with archtops than flat-tops, and have never owned a banner logo Gibson.  I tried to research this a bit, and the only mention I was able to locate online was that the use of decals began around 1954 (not clear whether they were referring specifically to banner decals as well as "Gibson" logos).  Anyway, I wonder whether we ought to request more photos of this guitar from Rah67123, just to be sure what guitar we're discussing.

3 hours ago, j45nick said:

I can understand the desire to do it, but it might be better from a value perspective to leave it as-is, depending on the condition of the rest of the guitar, and the model. 

If the guitar is completely original, you may want to keep it that way, other than things that are easily reversed like tuners and pins.

I completely agree with this.

That's a good way of looking at it. Nick has a wise approach too, as far as restoration and value is concerned.

It took a lot of butt kissing to get a correct frisket to replicate the painted logo for my '50 J50, and thanks to Dan Erlewine for the contact, but there is a process by which a photo of a clean banner logo can be transferred to a stencil for getting the best job possible in a serious restoration.

https://www.stewmac.com/articles-and-video/trade-secrets/spraying-a-peghead-logo-using-a-vinyl-frisket.html

• Thanks 2

I'm pretty sure you'll find it's quite a process to have one made, even if you can find a sign-maker/printer who has the software. A file is made by scanning an actual intact banner headstock logo on a flatbed scanner, then tracing it with CAD software to make the vector file. Sign shops use a CAD based program to operate vinyl cutters. 

Good luck. Talk to a sign shop about it. You won't find a waterslide decal for the banner.

100_0719.JPG

A waterslide wouldn't work in this case because the paint is missing where the banner needs to go. You need a smooth surface for either a decal or a stencil, and this headstock has neither in the area of the banner.  You would have to at least locally re-finish the headstock to do either one.

You're better off just leaving it alone.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, and I don't see a shot of how intact the the lettering is. It would have to start from scratch and there's certainly no way to create a frisket for the overlay lettering on the banner.
I wouldn't touch it either, but I would be bothered by it every time I picked the guitar up.

• Thanks 1