Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums

14000 Grateful Dead Shows


Sgt. Pepper
 Share

Recommended Posts

Cool thanks. Me and some of my buds have been watching nugs.tv on Saturday nights to catch some great Dead and Company shows. We usually get a group text going during the show, and one night they got a Zoom going but I wasn't on that one. Those guys are much bigger Deadheads than I am, but I do enjoy their live sets.

I passed this along to them. [thumbup]  

Edited by saturn
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Karloff said:

1st saw them in '76 at the Cap Centre. last saw them in '89 at the Cap Centre. inbetween saw some amazing shows & some not so amazing shows. two shows I do not recall at all, lol but I have the ticket stubs ... 

When The Dead are firing on all cylinders it's magic. I've seen a few bad ones. Last time I saw them was  a year or two before Jerry died.  I lived in the Bay Area of California they were always there.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I saw them in the UK;  Alexandra Palace London, 1970s. It was the tour where they took a break halfway through and Lesh's LP "Sea Stones" was played through the p.a.

They didn't really get going that night.  They were at their best in Europe for the tour which resulted in the  "Europe '72" triple,  one of their best live albums (of the ones I've heard!).   I had the records up to "Mars Hotel" or the next one but lost interest.   I recently heard some of "live in the Pacific Northwest" on Spotify and the Bob Weir CD.     Bookmarked the link thanks.

Edited by jdgm
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, jdgm said:

I saw them in the UK;  Alexandra Palace London, 1970s. It was the tour where they took a break halfway through and Lesh's LP "Sea Stones" was played through the p.a.

They didn't really get going that night.  They were at their best in Europe for the tour which resulted in the  "Europe '72" triple,  one of their best live albums (of the ones I've heard!).   I had the records up to "Mars Hotel" or the next one but lost interest.   I recently heard some of "live in the Pacific Northwest" on Spotify and the Bob Weir CD.     Bookmarked the link thanks.

'72 till about '77 they were at their peak. Blues For Allah I was not a fan of. A few concert staples but a lot of filler. I was never high at a Dead show. And I've dosed and shroomed, just not with 20000 stinky hippies.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/20/2020 at 6:15 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I saw them once in Sacto. They opened with Cold Rain and Snow. It was May 3rd, 1986 . It was outside.

It was an okay show. It was Saturday and they did not play One More Saturday Night. I heard they opened with it the next day.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

April 1972, German TV recording, excellent sound, no audience:

Interesting to see the dynamic at that time.  Pigpen was almost out of the band by then (he quit 2 months after this and died less than a year later) and he is impassive, aloof and isolated. Garcia is leading, completely in charge and the driving force - the push is coming from him and Kreutzmann, they are the two who always know where the 'one' is.  I've always wondered about Phil Lesh who never plays a conventional bass part, and looking at this I'm none the wiser.  Keith Godchaux is obviously blitzed but nevertheless on the case - he was a fine pianist -  Weir seems muted and ill at ease without an audience.....by the end of 1972 they had played so many gigs that they were much tighter. 

The "Europe '72" set I mentioned above was later re-issued as a massive limited edition box containing 73  CDs, every set of the tour!!

 

 

Edited by jdgm
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/20/2020 at 10:47 PM, jdgm said:

I saw them in the UK;  Alexandra Palace London, 1970s. It was the tour where they took a break halfway through and Lesh's LP "Sea Stones" was played through the p.a.

They didn't really get going that night.  They were at their best in Europe for the tour which resulted in the  "Europe '72" triple,  one of their best live albums (of the ones I've heard!).   I had the records up to "Mars Hotel" or the next one but lost interest.   I recently heard some of "live in the Pacific Northwest" on Spotify and the Bob Weir CD.     Bookmarked the link thanks.

 

I was there too. For 2 of those shows anyway (there were 3 consecutive I think). It was Sept '74. 

You're right. They were off. Especially at the 1st show. All the more surprising then that **** Latvala featured a compilation of these shows on DP #7.  I've been lucky though, every subsequent show I went to, they were on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

 

I was there too. For 2 of those shows anyway (there were 3 consecutive I think). It was Sept '74. 

You're right. They were off. Especially at the 1st show. All the more surprising then that **** Latvala featured a compilation of these shows on DP #7.  I've been lucky though, every subsequent show I went to, they were on.

Nice. 

I'm gonna watch the Beat Club performance on YT later. I know it was on the other night but I was busy. Just watched a few minuets of it. I was never a Pig Pen fan. I hate his voice. Sad he passed, but I didn't miss him in the band. He was fukin Janis Joplin though. In docs I've seen about The Dead, all they guys say she was a LOUD lay.

Seeing Jerry with a Strat is weird. Every time I saw him he played Tiger or Rosebud.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Nice. 

I'm gonna watch the Beat Club performance on YT later. I know it was on the other night but I was busy. Just watched a few minuets of it. I was never a Pig Pen fan. I hate his voice. Sad he passed, but I didn't miss him in the band. He was fukin Janis Joplin though. In docs I've seen about The Dead, all they guys say she was a LOUD lay.

Seeing Jerry with a Strat is weird. Every time I saw him he played Tiger or Rosebud.

 

I will watch it later too. 

Ally Pally 74: Garcia was using the 1st Irwin / Alembic guitar there (wolf?). I had no idea what it was at the time & had expected to see the strat. They were still using the Wall of Sound then, so that was an experience.  ally pally

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

 

I will watch it later too. 

Ally Pally 74: Garcia was using the 1st Irwin / Alembic guitar there (wolf?). I had no idea what it was at the time & had expected to see the strat. They were still using the Wall of Sound then, so that was an experience.  ally pally

I'll bet. I've only seen pics of the Wall. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I loved their '68-'69 period when Garcia was playing an SG thru a Twin. great tone. he played aggressively. he hadn't entered his "noodling" stage.  loved their folkish period, Workingman's Dead & American Beauty. but the Mars Hotel, Wake of the Flood era I feel they peaked. and to a lesser extent Blues for Allah. Garcia hadn't started fooling with Heroin yet. they were good. sometimes exceptional.  once Jerry was a full blown addict it was a steady decline in every aspect. 

Edited by Karloff
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Karloff said:

I loved their '68-'69 period when Garcia was playing an SG thru a Twin. great tone. he played aggressively. he hadn't entered his "noodling" stage.  loved their folkish period, Workingman's Dead & American Beauty. but the Mars Hotel, Wake of the Flood era I feel they peaked. and to a lesser extent Blues for Allah. Garcia hadn't started fooling with Heroin yet. they were good. sometimes exceptional.  once Jerry was a full blown addict it was a steady decline in every aspect. 

Terrapin and Shakedown were a change. I love Estimated Prophet. Growing up in Cali and hearing it always makes me miss what I will always call home.  Love Mars and Wake. Blues For Allah had a nice nugget or two, but is not to good. Beauty and Workingman's could have been their White Album if packaged together as a double. The first album is absolute trash. They are so hopped up on ups. Anthem and Aoxomoxa, never did much for me. A few concert staples on those.

I remember after Touch Of Grey went big, all of a sudden there were really young pretty, clean, non smelly girls who shaved their pits at Dead shows, cause it was cool to say you went to see The Dead.

Ever see the doc about them on a train going across Canada after Woodstock. Janis, The Band, Buddy Guy and others are in it. I saw it for the first time 2 years ago. Can't remember the name of it. I think the makers of the doc had financial problems and it was delayed a long time before being released.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I saw them twice in the '70s. The first time was at Cameron indoor stadium on the d00k university campus in the early '70s. The second was in the old Charlotte (NC) Coliseum in the late '70s where the acoustics were horrible. One thing about the Dead is that their sound people were the best. It didn't matter how bad the acoustics were in a venue, their sound people worked it out. 

Hey, I was smelly, too, and the smelly women were also bow-legged. 

Edited by zigzag
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...