Gibson Brands Forums
cesarbg

Gibson LPJ and SGJ, what does the J stand for?

I recently bought an SGJ. I know it is not JUNIOR, since it is not the specs of it. It is a 2013 SGJ, humbucking, aftermarked Bigsby, worn white.

It's on its way, so I don't really know much. But the name got me thinking if there's a prticular meaning for the letter J in the names. I've found some answers online, none of which seems right. Some say it is Junior, some say it stands for Juszkiewicz (former Gibson CEO), other say it is just a letter.

So any ideas?

5 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

If its not Junior, then I have no idea.

I thought all the J's were Junior.

me too...

Nobody knows. Who cares anyway?  If it didn't say it on the TRC I wouldn't even remember it was called that.

To me it's an SG! I have a 2014 Satin Fireburst and I like it a lot. Hope you enjoy yours as well! [smile]

It stands for junior. Type in SG Junior to the internet and see what comes up. See if it looks exactly like the guitar you have. I bet it will have one pickup and a weird-looking pickguard.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

It stands for junior. Type in SG Junior to the internet and see what comes up. See if it looks exactly like the guitar you have. I bet it will have one pickup and a weird-looking pickguard.

An SGJ has 2 pickups. And no pickguard (at least mine doesn't)

10 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

If its not Junior, then I have no idea.

I thought all the J's were Junior.

4 hours ago, kidblast said:

me too...

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

That is what I originally thought. But it does not, as Juniors only have one pickup. That's why I started wondering.

3 hours ago, brad1 said:

Nobody knows. Who cares anyway?  If it didn't say it on the TRC I wouldn't even remember it was called that.

To me it's an SG! I have a 2014 Satin Fireburst and I like it a lot. Hope you enjoy yours as well! [smile]

Well, it's not like I care a lot about it, I just started wondering. And thanks!

1 hour ago, brad1 said:

An SGJ has 2 pickups. And no pickguard (at least mine doesn't)

Mine has, but it was added by the previous owner. But it didn't originally.

Oh yeah I  looked there are ones with 2 pup's. Gibson doesn't have enough models of every guitar. We need 20 or so more of each.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Oh yeah I  looked there are ones with 2 pup's. Gibson doesn't have enough models of every guitar. We need 20 or so more of each.

I have just sent that request to the company, hopefully they will listen 😆

1 hour ago, cesarbg said:

I have just sent that request to the company, hopefully they will listen 😆

We had that under Henry's reign. The Canuck sort of toned it down a bit.

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Oh yeah I  looked there are ones with 2 pup's. 

Not Juniors. 

So we are back to the OP question. 

What does the J stand for?

7 minutes ago, brad1 said:

Not Juniors. 

So we are back to the OP question. 

What does the J stand for?

We may never know.

4 hours ago, brad1 said:

I read all that and not one word I could see about what the J is for.  I'm not sure they know. 

Neither did I. I guess they just rolled the dice to choose what letter of the alphabet to put after SG and LP.

So as they run out of letters, they just recycle them? Very efficient. 

They should do a SG G, with a horses head on the TRC

It is just a letter.  Sure it may imply a Junior, but it is not a Junior.  Since Gibson does not define what it is, it is just another letter.  Yes, like the M.   Like  Sgt. Pepper  said we need 20 more variations.

• Like 1

Junior or Jr guitars were called Junior or Jr guitars because they were smaller in body dimensions and possibly scale length.  I think.  I remember using Freddie's Melody Makers and Juniors back then and they were like toys.

I think if Gibson means "Junior" they use Jr or Junior.  

rct

It's not Junior.

It's just a letter.

One of the more idiotic model names the brain trust came up with, surpassed only by the seventeen different guitars called "Junior Specials" over the years.

I modded my 2013 SGJ (the ones with the awful black pickup covers that look like EMGs) to look a little more SG and a little less J.  Added pickguard, Bobbin Toppers, headstock pineapple.

91499541_10158096303118879_4084575557046

On 5/21/2020 at 2:23 PM, rct said:

Junior or Jr guitars were called Junior or Jr guitars because they were smaller in body dimensions and possibly scale length.  I think. 

No.

They were called that because they were less expensive "student" models with only one P-90 pickup, no neck or body binding.  Scale same.  For the LP Juniors, the body shape  was the same but they did not have an arched maple cap, just a flat mahogany slab.  SG Juniors only differed by being single P-90 guitars, bodies were the same.

I think it might stand for Junior in essence - ie to recall when Junior meant a cheaper, more basic version of the 'parent' model, which is what Gibson wanted to make so it could be sold much cheaper.....but...the problem they faced was that there were already established models called Les Paul Junior and SG Junior, which these new J's were more basic than. So the called it a junior without calling it a junior by just saying J. (Which sounds better then B for bottom of the range I suppose).

i reckon a 2013 chocolate finish SGJ with the black tuners, covers, nut etc replaced with something more standard looking and a small pickguard added would be about the right SG for me - I'd prefer that look over more expensive models personally.

There isn't necessarily any logic in Gibson's way of naming guitars. I once asked them what does the "CM" stands for in the model name of the one-pickup Les Paul. They said, absolutely nothing.

Bence

• Like 1

On 5/25/2020 at 7:41 AM, Brian Krashpad said:

It's not Junior.

It's just a letter.

One of the more idiotic model names the brain trust came up with, surpassed only by the seventeen different guitars called "Junior Specials" over the years.

I modded my 2013 SGJ (the ones with the awful black pickup covers that look like EMGs) to look a little more SG and a little less J.  Added pickguard, Bobbin Toppers, headstock pineapple.

91499541_10158096303118879_4084575557046

Interesting. The one I bought has the same mods. Removed covers and crown on the headstock, plus Bigsby.

• Like 1