Gibson Brands Forums

Another Neil Young Movie Night

j45nick

Neil Young has been doing these during the lockdown. One interesting thing is the instruments he plays in these. First one is a banjo/uke?

Can anyone identify the dread with the unusual headstock and narrow fretboard he plays starting at about 23 minutes in?  The guitar is always in shadow, but has a distinctive headstock and block inlays on the fretboard.

in the barnyard

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jinder said:

It looks like a Guild D55 to me...probably an early one with the narrower nut, which exaggerates the sweeping lines of the headstock. It sure sounds great...that version of War of Man is gorgeous.

Good call.

And I agree that version of War of Man is pretty stunning. You can tell how into it he is by his body language. Re-livin' the past.

This is a pretty nice version, too. (But I think this is a great song no matter how he does it)

War of Man

Edited by j45nick
added additional thought

Tumbleweed your inner beauty is a peace sign to me, , , has always been a fascinating line.  

I go with the Guild-theory, , , and then it must be the Hank D-28.

Thanks for presenting this film. Neil really is a country man.  Wonder if it's back in Redwood. . 

1 minute ago, E-minor7 said:

Tumbleweed your inner beauty is a peace sign to me, , , has always been a fascinating line.  

I go with the Guild-theory, , , and then it must be the Hank D-28.

Thanks for presenting this film. Neil really is a country man.  Wonder if it's back in Redwood. . 

I did a search, and it is almost certainly a Guild D-55, which looks like a really nice model. Not cheap!

3 hours ago, zombywoof said:

While it is a nice thing for him to do, I am afraid that locking me up in quarantine with Neil Young would be the final step in my transformation into Jack Torrance.

Wowww, , , okay, let me take the ticket. I would lOVE to hang around and sneak in some harmonies here and there. .