Gibson Brands Forums

Question to Jinder

Deadgrateful

As I understand it, you were sent a replacement J200 pick-guard as the old one had usual paint wearing problems. I had a similar issue, contacted Gibson Europe, and was eventually told I'd be sent a replacement. Well it turned up today, but seems to be a rather low quality guard, made of some sort of rubbery plastic (you can bend it any which way). The design and fake patternation seems to be printed on the reverse.

Is this what you received, or have I been fobbed off with some epiphone part :-) Either way, no chance that things ever going near my guitar...

DG, the replacement 'guard I was sent is the very same.

I thought mine looked bad, but once you've removed the white backing paper, it's actually fine-especially once installed.

The printed design doesn't look incredible close up, but once you're a couple of feel from the guitar, it's indistinguishable from the original style of press-printed guards.

The rubberised plastic isn't the most tactile of things, but it's very durable and has an incredible memory-just this afternoon I had a band rehearsal, and in between songs I was absent mindedly fiddling with my Hummingbird whilst chatting, and realised I'd dug a fairly deep groove in the pickguard (it's made of the same material as the new SJ200 'guards). Naturally, I was rather concerned, but the groove just slowly disappeared...it's good stuff.

I think the aesthetics of the new 'guards are a matter of taste, but I was glad of mine-I find the ornate guard to be one of the most distinctive things about the SJ200, and the old fading flowers problem really got my goat!

Don't mean to burglarize the conversation here but, I thought the same thing when the guard arrived for my Hummingbird. I thought to myself, "They are really cutting costs here." Not so. Jinder speaks the truth. Once installed it looks real nice. And so far, it looks like new. Even with my acid based fingers.

Just DO NOT touch the back once you pull the backing off. Any skin grease will cause lifting. Especially on the points.

Archived