Gibson Brands Forums

Why a 61 Les Paul DC

mihcmac

This is why........................................................................................................................................but for a $11,500

Edited by mihcmac

I have seen early 50's original Les Paul TV DC's going for around $35,000, but this one is a Les Paul DC Junior in in TV Yellow not the actual Les Paul TV Model.

This DC Junior does appear to be in very nice playing condition...

Edited by mihcmac

I'll be the first to say that if I could have unfettered access to that volume kn0b I could make any guitar sound like God through that amp, that's what them amps did.  I'd like another cab though.

And next I'll be the first to say I could probably make that guitar sound good through a toaster.

rct

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

I have seen early 50's original Les Paul TV DC's going for around $35,000, but this one is a Les Paul DC Junior in in TV Yellow not the actual Les Paul TV Model.

This DC Junior does appear to be in very nice playing condition...

It's killer for sure.

I know where there is an equally clean early 60's SG Junior for half that right now. 

Yeah I get its rarer than the SG, and to ME all that vintage gear is way over priced for the most part, kinda like vintage muscle cars. 

Some of that could just be due to the perspective from my side of the fence though.

Johnny

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Johnny 6 String said:

It's killer for sure.

I know where there is an equally clean early 60's SG Junior for half that right now. 

Yeah I get its rarer than the SG, and to ME all that vintage gear is way over priced for the most part, kinda like vintage muscle cars. 

Some of that could just be due to the perspective from my side of the fence though.

Johnny

That is about right for an SG Junior, but a LP DC Jr in TV Yellow, specifically, is much harder to find. Even thought they are almost the same guitar, personally I think the SG Jr is a better design compared to the DC, specially for comfort. But there is something about the DC in yellow. This one has a non-compensated bridge which may be aluminum, to me it would explain why its so bright.

Edited by mihcmac

1 minute ago, mihcmac said:

That is about right for an SG Junior, but a LP DC Jr in TV Yellow, specifically, is in much higher demand. Even thought they are almost the same guitar, personally I think the SG compared to the DC is a better design, specially for comfort. But there is something about the DC in yellow. This one has a non-compensated bridge which may be aluminum, to me it would explain why its so bright.

TV yellow has always been my fav colour on these too (and the specials). I get all the rarity and demand stuff,  just not worth it to me and where I am in life (and to be honest, not sure I'd ever spend that kind of cash on a guitar).

I own both (not vintage or high end models) and my preference changes with mood.

Didn't mean to rain on you or anything, it really is a sweet guitar.

Johnny

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Johnny 6 String said:

TV yellow has always been my fav colour on these too (and the specials). I get all the rarity and demand stuff,  just not worth it to me and where I am in life (and to be honest, not sure I'd ever spend that kind of cash on a guitar).

I own both (not vintage or high end models) and my preference changes with mood.

Didn't mean to rain on you or anything, it really is a sweet guitar.

Johnny

No rain, I have also had both Gibsons within recent memory..

But right now I just have a 97 Epi version..

plSH6oW.jpg

Edited by mihcmac

The price is way more than anything I could put in my stable, but the simplicity of design an function of what they put into a "Student" guitar, its just "Meat and Potatoes". Having lived during an era when these were affordable, I'm kicking myself for not keeping the ones I owned. In the 60's and 70's you could pick up Juniors for peanuts.

In the 90's I started trying to find a LP DC in TV Yellow, before there were copies being made, a few Japan labels, Gibson rarely released new ones and the originals were fast becoming unobtainable. Then in the late 90's Epiphone released the DC Junior that had some quality issues, basically not assembled very well, but fixable.

Mine is Indonesian built at the Cort factory and has been rebuilt many times. Currently it has a 59 LP pickup, CTS pots, Kluson white button tuners and a new Epi wraparound compensated bridge. It is still fun to play and sounds incredible..

Edited by mihcmac

47 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

The price is way more than anything I could put in my stable, but the simplicity of design an function of what they put into a "Student" guitar, its just "Meat and Potatoes". Having lived during an era when these were affordable, I'm kicking myself for not keeping the ones I owned. In the 60's and 70's you could pick up Juniors for peanuts.

You could, they were cheap and plentiful.  I knew a couple of guys that used Jrs and Melody Makers, be different, be punky.

rct

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, rct said:

You could, they were cheap and plentiful.  I knew a couple of guys that used Jrs and Melody Makers, be different, be punky.

rct

I had a few highly modded Melody Makers. At the time thought they sounded great with Humbuckers.. My last Melody Maker was an 04 LP style with a P90.

Edited by mihcmac

Funny how this stuff goes up in value to me.  When those came out, as mentioned, it was a cheap student guitar.  One P-90, the wrap around tailpiece, cheapest tuners etc. but plug into that Marshall you can make it scream.  Thing is it's a '60 model guitar and the amp didn't come out until '69 so what did it sound like through a Silvertone for the first nine years?

I was browsing reverb yesterday looking at semi-hollow Gibsons and came across several cherry burst early 60s 125TCs (my first electric see avatar).  I bought mine used in '66, I think,  for probably $125 and now in nice condition people are asking about $2200 for them.  There was one where the shop owner did a demo and he was going on and on about how great it was.  It just wasn't that great trust me.  I suppose inflation alone makes them worth 10 times as much now, but $11K is just crazy. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Twang Gang said:

Funny how this stuff goes up in value to me.  When those came out, as mentioned, it was a cheap student guitar.  One P-90, the wrap around tailpiece, cheapest tuners etc. but plug into that Marshall you can make it scream.  Thing is it's a '60 model guitar and the amp didn't come out until '69 so what did it sound like through a Silvertone for the first nine years?

I was browsing reverb yesterday looking at semi-hollow Gibsons and came across several cherry burst early 60s 125TCs (my first electric see avatar).  I bought mine used in '66, I think,  for probably $125 and now in nice condition people are asking about $2200 for them.  There was one where the shop owner did a demo and he was going on and on about how great it was.  It just wasn't that great trust me.  I suppose inflation alone makes them worth 10 times as much now, but $11K is just crazy. 

I owned a '57 ES-225TD. It was a POS. Would not stay in tune. Fed-back like a banshee. Trapeze tailpiece and c-rappy wrap around bridge. Light as a feather though. Sold it to a guy in Colorado. I disclosed everything I new was wrong with it on Flea Bay when I sold it. Not staying in tune was the biggest issue. I even put better tuners on it, nope. Just cause its old don't mean its good. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

[laugh] yeah, my old Melody Maker has never worked out for me. It's beat to heck and had no respect over its life before I got it cheap  (trem added and removed, bridge set to left handed then back to right, stupid heavy tuners to make neck dive - which I've replaced, snapped headstock with dodgy repair and paint over, which I've sorted out. It does have a pretty cool punk vibe about it and bizarrely, given the treatment I mentioned, it's got all original electrics (one pickup model) and burst paint job. It's a '61 double cut just like the Jr here so it might even be worth more than I paid for it as a bit of fun for someone 

its downstairs in my sons room...dammit I should try to bash the set out on it today and see how much it sucks. That pickup is awful, and I hate the neck, and how the strap attached at the dumb chunky neck joint, and.... (But it does look kinda cool [biggrin])

• Like 2

I wonder why, in such guitar demos, they are always playing sitting down. 

I can tell by that guy's body English that he would rather be playing standing up, with it strapped on. 

It nearly slipped off his lap a few times there. 

I don't get it. 
😐

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

I wonder why, in such guitar demos, they are always playing sitting down. 

I can tell by that guy's body English that he would rather be playing standing up, with it strapped on. 

It nearly slipped off his lap a few times there. 

I don't get it. 
😐

Those are the demo rules - you sit down or no demo.

Another rule seams to be: Don't play it clean or with just the effects people might actually own (tube screamer say)...but instead play it at high gain, or with a range of boutique pedals that you are trying to sell and which you've spent hours getting the sound 'just so' through amps people do't typically own on settings you don't show.

oh...and wherever possible shred to show how 'awesome' you are in ways that 99% of your audience cannot, and do not wish to.

so many damned rules 🤨

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 'Scales said:

Another rule seams to be: Don't play it clean or with just the effects people might actually own (tube screamer say)...but instead play it at high gain, or with a range of boutique pedals that you are trying to sell and which you've spent hours getting the sound 'just so' through amps people do't typically own on settings you don't show.

oh...and wherever possible shred to show how 'awesome' you are in ways that 99% of your audience cannot, and do not wish to.

so many damned rules 🤨

That Mark guy does it the best with his leather jacket and Chuck Taylor's. He's so iconic.