Gibson Brands Forums

Why a 61 Les Paul DC

mihcmac

When sitting on a stool, for some reason, the LP DC seems to slide off your leg causing it too constantly be repositioned, as mentioned earlier the lower contour of the similar SG jr seems to be in a better position for sitting. Since the LP DC is a little neck heavy, perhaps not balanced well for sitting.

But here is a guy using strap on a 59 LP DC... Notice his right forearm is well positioned to hold th DC in Place.

Edited by mihcmac

On 5/23/2020 at 6:29 AM, merciful-evans said:

I didn't watch the vid. I'm so old & out of touch now that I even suspect that was cool instead of sad. 😶

I think it has kind of a crazy effect on old guys like me, that had the opportunity to acquire them when they actually sold for reasonable prices. The early TV DC models price started going really nuts in the early 80s.

Edited by mihcmac

4 hours ago, mihcmac said:

I think it has kind of a crazy effect on old guys like me, that had the opportunity to acquire them when they actually sold for reasonable prices. The early TV DC models price started going really nuts in the early 80s.

I know. I bought a Strat early 70s which I used exclusively for 25 years. Sounded great but played like a pig. I eventually traded it in for a MIJ Jackson Soloist & had to stump up about a third of the difference. Now that Soloist is only just still worth what I paid 20 years ago, while my old strat would be valued at about x6 times.

No regrets  from me though. I still made the right choice for the time. And the present values dont make the Soloist any worse or the Strat any better a guitar either. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I know. I bought a Strat early 70s which I used exclusively for 25 years. Sounded great but played like a pig. I eventually traded it in for a MIJ Jackson Soloist & had to stump up about a third of the difference. Now that Soloist is only just still worth what I paid 20 years ago, while my old strat would be valued at about x6 times.

No regrets  from me though. I still made the right choice for the time. And the present values dont make the Soloist any worse or the Strat any better a guitar either. 

I started to put something in about a DC I missed, then got depressed thinking about the early Gibsons and Epihones I acquired, that slipped through my fingers. I used to cruise around Maricopa's pawn shops  finding unbelievable deals on old guitars. They didn't seem to know what to do with Lap Steels, so I ended up with a few. I actually bought a Gibson Lap Steel for $20, I still have a Ric that I think  I paid $35 for. When I see guitars going for 4 digits that I had acquired for 2 digits, its kind of freaky..

So seeing a Les Paul Jr DC in TV Yellow going for 11.5k is impressive, makes me wonder what an actual Les Paul TV Model DC will bring..

Note that there were quite a few Single Cut Specials and Juniors that came in TV Yellow including TV Models, but in general the Double Cut's were the most desirable.

01317_01317_hs.jpg

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

On 5/21/2020 at 12:37 PM, mihcmac said:

The price is way more than anything I could put in my stable, but the simplicity of design an function of what they put into a "Student" guitar, its just "Meat and Potatoes". Having lived during an era when these were affordable, I'm kicking myself for not keeping the ones I owned. In the 60's and 70's you could pick up Juniors for peanuts. 

True, If we knew what we actually had back in the 50's & 60's and what they would have gone for today, we would have never gotten rid of anything. Unbelievable what even some toys are going for now. 

• Like 1