Gibson Brands Forums

Memorial Day

SteveFord

A strange one.

Aside from it being a day to remember the fallen it's also the kick off of Summer.

One thing I always looked forward to was Memorial Day Sale at Guitar Center.  Even if I didn't buy anything it was a given.

Not this year.

It's a free day of 8 hours pay, but not a happy holiday in any sense. I'm a vet, but I have no friends or relatives that I know that died in a conflict. I floated around in the Persian Gulf the first time we went there.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/25/2020 at 4:12 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

It's a free day of 8 hours pay, but not a happy holiday in any sense. I'm a vet, but I have no friends or relatives that I know that died in a conflict. I floated around in the Persian Gulf the first time we went there.

Everyday is a free day of pay! Well, except for the weekends I recon? Haha.. 7 years retired now as of May 31 and we haven't missed a lick yet.  Just like the days when I worked except I don't have to work, Lol.  Yeah, the vets on Memorial Day. I had lots of Uncles, friends and relatives in the wars. Mostly friends that died in them. 

31 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I retired from the military although I had to hear for years I was in a fake service cause I was in the Coast Guard after 23 years. I still have to work to be able to survive.

Congratulations on your retirement..I for one being a Navy Veterean greatly appreciate your contributions to our national security..I in no way shape or form believe the CG is some lesser form of our Military..Thank you for your service Sir.

11 minutes ago, kelly campbell said:

Congratulations on your retirement..I for one being a Navy Veterean greatly appreciate your contributions to our national security..I in no way shape or form believe the CG is some lesser form of our Military..Thank you for your service Sir.

I was a squid for 4 years before I joined the CG, so none of the people who gave me c-rap had a clue what they were talking about. My life got so much better after leaving the Navy. Retired with one star on my uniform so, being a Senior Chief did not suck.

51 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I retired from the military although I had to hear for years I was in a fake service cause I was in the Coast Guard after 23 years. I still have to work to be able to survive.

Who in the hell told you that!?!

4 minutes ago, Big Bill said:

Who in the hell told you that!?!

A lot of Navy people. I can not tell you how many times I was called Puddle Pirate and Shallow Water Sailor.

And one d-ouche who I work with who was only in the Air Force for 4 years. Well I got a blue ID card and it affords me a lot more than what you get after being in for only  4 years.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

4 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

A lot of Navy people. I can not tell you how many times I was called Puddle Pirate and Shallow Water Sailor.

I had buddies of mine that left active duty and have gone full time reserve or the Guard and I saluted them just as proudly. 

In these times, they spend a lot of time in theater.

Edited by Big Bill

9 minutes ago, Big Bill said:

I had buddies of mine that left active duty and have gone full time reserve or the Guard and I saluted them just as proudly. 

In these times, they spend a lot of time in theater.

I remember the day in the Gulf 2 other Navy ships hit floating mines.  My A hole puckered that day. Being on liberty in Bahrain and UAE  left me feeling uneasy.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Here is me in my squid attire with one sad little ribbon as a 3rd Class Petty Officer, and one of me in Bahrain on New Years Eve on libery before the War started. The XO was not happy  I shaved my head down to skin.

w1T1i5p.jpg

OHS6o49.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

21 minutes ago, Big Bill said:

Ahhh, been to Bahrain many times. The Navy never kept their ramps clean, had to change tires a few tires with all the FOD scattered all over the place.

We pulled in and out many times for fuel and supply's and liberty. No its not a nice place to visit and I wouldn't want to live there.

The AF told me to fuk off cause I smoked pot. Oh well. Once I joined the CG, I had to start over, bootcamp and everything. How many people can make E-8 in about 18 years.

You can's see, but I'm raising my hand in the affirmative.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper