Gibson Brands Forums
tremolo arm

SJ-200 quieter than a Martin J-40?

My re-necked now long-scale 1966 CW is the loudest acoustic here. It even tops the Firebird, which is loud and louder than the almost similar built Dove. The Dove is about as loud as the 2 TV H-birds, yet has a different inner sonic space. The 2012 TVs are not equally loud though, (May significantly louder than April) still both louder than 1965 CW, that could be called a quiet whisper without being a J-200 at all. . 

Loud may also be described as room-filling  or room embracing - meaning how much we feel the instrument reach out in front of us. It's quite easy to measure that when trying out different guitars in a shop or of course at home. Another way to measure it beyond doubt is to bring the guitars to acoustic jams and sense how much they speak up or disappear during such a party.         

For me the pattern is clear :                       My re-necked now long-scale 1966 CW is the loudest acoustic here

But loud ain't and should not be gawd. Neither when playing electric stadium or festival rock. And it's almost irrelevant when recording. 

13 hours ago, Brucebubs said:

Thanks but I think you're confusing volume with price.

Yeah

22 hours ago, Paul14 said:

People are willing to pay in the area of $5,000 for “whispering giants”,,,,, because?

Your other post shows it is possible to buy for half of new and at this moment there are 6 SJ200 guitar for sale on American ebay for average of 3800 USD.

22 hours ago, Paul14 said:

About a week ago, on a Dove thread, some were discussing the Dove as being very loud.  What would make the Dove loud, & the J-200 quiet. Does that even make sense?

my J-200 is not only louder than my Dove, it’s “much” louder! I’m just trying to understand this whole thing?

Yes. This make sense when reading the article on wikipedia for Acoustic guitar.  read Acoustic Properties parte

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_guitar

depend on the size of the box

chamber acts like helmholtz resonator.

Cavity air vibrations couple to the outside aire through the soundhole.

How unfortunate this forum has profesor of sound to give good explanation but only wants to show pictures of all the guitars he has.

22 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Your loud may not be my loud.

This is true. Loud is specific to each person

and the sj200 is of a very even EQ with no bad imbalance.

Hearing Aid for people makes more loud with boost to each end of the spectrum of frequency.

Harsh noise perceived more loud than sounds of even balance.

1 hour ago, Raul Rehlmann said:

Yes. This make sense when reading the article on wikipedia for Acoustic guitar.  read Acoustic Properties parte

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_guitar

depend on the size of the box

chamber acts like helmholtz resonator.

Cavity air vibrations couple to the outside aire through the soundhole.

How unfortunate this forum has profesor of sound to give good explanation but only wants to show pictures of all the guitars he has.

With this taken under consideration, why then are the newer J-200’s noticeably quieter than the ones made 20yr ago?

1 hour ago, Raul Rehlmann said:

Your other post shows it is possible to buy for half of new and at this moment there are 6 SJ200 guitar for sale on American ebay for average of 3800 USD.

Wouldn’t  spend $3800 for a whispering giant either. Wouldn’t want it period...

Edited by Paul14