Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 Standard and TV?

MaverickThomas

Has anyone played a Standard since 2000 and thought it was better than a TV?

if you were forced to buy  https://snaptube.cam/  https://9apps.cam/   a Standard or a True Vintage (money not being an issue), which would you pick, and why?

(and yes, we all know about “the one that sounds best,” but this is hypothetical.

Edited by MaverickThomas

I have owned a few standards, and I own a TV currently.

The TVs have "advanced bracing" which I think means more forward shifted, than the standard braced regular J45s. The last J45 Standard (2013) I owned I gave to my gigging partner a year or so ago, and he loves it. It is balanced. My TV now though (2010) ... has more bass. More power. I like it better. I record with it all the time.

Standards will run you 1700ish used in great condition. a TV will be about 600 more. 

post-58251-093250000%201465866801_thumb.jpeg

Yes, I enjoy my standard the best, 2013 model.  As you see in the picture I have a  1946,  TV (newer version) and a Standard.  My standard just has it.  

I love the look of the other two but the standard is really balanced, dry sounding and perfect with Martin retros.  

Standard is the heaviest which I don't like  but it has the tone.  I like the TV next and then the 46.  I sold the TV and keep the 46 because I got it from the original owner and has a little sentimental value.   I did play a recent TV in January that just blew me away at Dave's Guitar.  Sounded better than all of them.  I'm done chasing J-45's for a while but I really think you got to play them and judge.  

So to answer your question: Yes I like "my" standard better than the TV.

My Best.

• Like 1

I agree with Gibby, the Gibson J-45 standard has the best tone by far to my ear.  I can hear the sound of one of those baked tops on the fancy expensive models and that does not sound as natural to me as the standard model. The standard J-45 also seems built a bit heavier and seems more durable to me with more natural tone. I love mine, and can't imagine using any other model, the sound and tone is just so completely J-45.

Sorry to post again but want to clarify, I don't think all standards are better.  Just the good ones.  I had the 46 for many years and wanted something to take out and play with my band or play solo and didn't want to worry about having a Vintage out.  So over 6 years I would continue to sample J-45's and all the variations.  One time at Dave's Guitar I picked up my Standard and strummed it and was blown away.  Sales guy said "that one has it" and I new.   I probably played about 10 standards over that time frame and 2 were just amazing and the others were OK to sub-par.   I also played many other variations.  One that got away was 1942 Banner reissue that Jon Thomas "Kalamazoo Gals"  had done with Gibson.  Some one bought that guitar before me.   After I got the Standard  I would continue to compare it to TV models because I like the look, weight and just like the Vintage style better but nothing really could beat that standard.  My thoughts are some guitars just have it.  Went so far that I bought the J-45 Vintage picturd above with the adi/torrfied top but still thought my Standard was better.   It  could be a custom shop, plain Standard, vintage or whatever, if the guitar has it that's all that matters.  I think the TV is a cooler guitar, looks better and you probably get 8 out of 10 TV's  that are amazing and standards seem to be about 2-3/10 are good/great.  There is just something in a really good/great Standard that I like better.    Hope this helps.   I do like vintage guitars and that vintage tone, my favorite is my 1965 J-50 I found on the local craigslist for $500, it has it all and it's a Standard (or was a one time).   Trying to pass along my experience (or lack of) to help someone else's journey.   My advice  is play them and judge the guitar, not the model.  I learned this an expensive way.   Hope that helps.

My Best.