Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mihcmac

White Collar Fakes??

Recommended Posts

I thought Gibson, when they made the now famous Mark A. video were suing anyone they could with their big team of lawyers, everyone that even makes guitar that had strings on them cause Gibson guitars have strings too.

Yes it is wrong for anyone to put Gibson's name on the head of a fake and try to pass it of as the real deal. But like the ATF debacle, Gibson making $ off of a fake and selling as their own is wrong as well, especially when they know it, and make such a stink about suing everyone for the exact same thing.

So chime in and start defending Gibson cause its coming.

But like the guy said Derrig and Slash made Gibson boatloads of $ and probably saved the company. Is Gibson mad at Slash or suing him? No, he is in cahoots with them and has only had about 20 different signature models of Gibson's since then. Total hypocrites.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

meh.  Gibson probably considers "replica" Les Pauls reasonable competition called "replica" for a reason.  If someone with 12k to burn on a Les Paul doesn't buy a Gibson, what are they going to do?  Make a Dimebag Darrel Signature Les Paul HPJCMPlusJunior and hope they can get that money?  They already lost the money from someone who could easily buy theirs.  The junky imported fakes are 5, 600 bucks they could have gotten so of course they aren't happy.

There are more than a few big names now that made nothing but "replica"s of Strats and Teles for years, decades even.  Fender didn't mind that so much either.

Each to his own I guess.

rct

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, rct said:

meh.  Gibson probably considers "replica" Les Pauls reasonable competition called "replica" for a reason.  If someone with 12k to burn on a Les Paul doesn't buy a Gibson, what are they going to do?  Make a Dimebag Darrel Signature Les Paul HPJCMPlusJunior and hope they can get that money?  They already lost the money from someone who could easily buy theirs.  The junky imported fakes are 5, 600 bucks they could have gotten so of course they aren't happy.

There are more than a few big names now that made nothing but "replica"s of Strats and Teles for years, decades even.  Fender didn't mind that so much either.

Each to his own I guess.

rct

Fender licenses their exact replicac's for Warmoth to build. Fender gets paid, Warmoth gets paid. That's a smart company.

And Warmoth's  s-hit is tight.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They do, and they pretty much won that one.  Same with making guitars in Japan, calling them Fender, and pricing them accordingly.   

rct

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've built a total Warmoth Jazzmaster and used Warmoth Strat and Tele and one J bass neck. Quality is first rate. They spray poly on there body's so the nitro heads beware.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've played a bunch of Warmoth Fenders.  Nice stuff!

rct

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So... Slash's main guitar was a Master Luther built custom fake 59 Burst with a 60's neck, that was acquired for him because his real Gibson was having unsolvable problems.... Then in 2010 Gibson copied his fake and released the Slash signature model.. According to the video...

Edited by mihcmac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how they'd have played it if it was discovered Slash had used a Korean Epiphone LP for that album?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw this vid (and another about fakes sold by uk dealer) a short while back. 

Folk will justify anything if they see a profit in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mihcmac said:

So... Slash's main guitar was a Master Luther built custom fake 59 Burst with a 60's neck, that was acquired for him because his real Gibson was having unsolvable problems.... Then in 2010 Gibson copied his fake and released the Slash signature model.. According to the video...

Maybe not his main guitar now, but the one heard on AFD yes. The Slash guitar made by Derrig is old news. I heard about it ages ago.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

anyone silly enough to drop $12k on a guitar,...  I'll just leave that there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Maybe not his main guitar now, but the one heard on AFD yes. The Slash guitar made by Derrig is old news. I heard about it ages ago.

Iconic vintage news you mean?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, 'Scales said:

Iconic vintage news you mean?

Yes very much so. I'm getting out my cool leather jacket, Chuck Taylor's and Firebird t-shirt to wear today. Then I'm suing everybody.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yes very much so. I'm getting out my cool leather jacket, Chuck Taylor's and Firebird t-shirt to wear today. Then I'm suing everybody.

Easy on the Chuck Taylors. I’m still wearing  em, Black High Tops,  and have been the last 50 years. Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, labomba said:

Easy on the Chuck Taylors. I’m still wearing  em, Black High Tops,  and have been the last 50 years. Lol

Love mine I got highs and lows. It's Mark A. who makes me throw up in my mouth a little. Hows SC I'm back in VA. It's hot and humid and poured yesterday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Love mine I got highs and lows. It's Mark A. who makes me throw up in my mouth a little. Hows SC I'm back in VA. It's hot and humid and poured yesterday.

Yeah he’s a character lol. Been hot here too.  Sux here they opened everything up last week and Memorial Day weekend was packed. Everyone acting like it’s another day at the beach nobody doing masks or distancing while covid positives been going up daily. We’ll have to wait and see what it’s going to be like next week. 

 

Edited by labomba

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, labomba said:

Yeah he’s a character lol. Been hot here too.  Sux here they opened everything up last week and Memorial Day weekend was packed. Everyone acting like it’s another day at the beach nobody doing masks or distancing while covid positives been going up daily. We’ll have to wait and see what it’s going to be like next week. 

 

I left a week after the beaches opened. Dam snowbirds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...