Gibson Brands Forums

Should the government be providing money for private schools?

Homz

Yes.

And I think YOU should pay for it.

I dream of a day when the Left pulls their own weight for once, and even a little of mine now and then.

I'm in the mood for somebody to give me something to benefit MY family.

The beauty of PRIVATE schools is the lack of control by the federal gov't, which has no constitutional authority over schools anyway. Vouchers are one of the answers. In spite of the increased spending in public schools, grades continue to decline, this should prove to any rational person that more money spent per student does not correlate to a better education. Good teachers, good curriculum, good discipline and good parenting make for better students and higher grades.

I do send my child to a private school. And as such' date=' I feel that I should not have to pay taxes toward public schools. Like others on this forum have said, why should [i']I [/i]have to pay twice?

The theory goes: you pay as do others without children in the system so that the society at large can benefit from their education. They are the future and their educational standards may very well be what determines the future of your society. So they say.

BTW you don't have to pay twice. You could have your kids in public schools. If they are inadequate then we all need to find the solution to that problem. There was a time in this country when the U.S. public school system was the best in the world. Now even VietNam has a higher literacy rate. Let's fix it.

You can't fix the schools if you don't fix the parents...schools can only do so much. My wife teaches in one of the "inner city" schools where the kids come to school hungry and dirty, with no parent at home helping them, single parent homes, drug and alcohol abuse in the home and little to no hope in the future...they have the same curriculum, books, computers, tests, quality of teachers and materials and the kids don't thrive...the problems are much deeper and greater than will be solved by spending more money on the schools.

You can't fix the schools if you don't fix the parents...schools can only do so much. My wife teaches in one of the "inner city" schools where the kids come to school hungry and dirty' date=' with no parent at home helping them, single parent homes, drug and alcohol abuse in the home and little to no hope in the future...they have the same curriculum, books, computers, tests, quality of teachers and materials and the kids don't thrive...the problems are much deeper and greater than will be solved by spending more money on the schools.[/quote']

Your probably correct. So then the solution is to fix the poverty issue. I think that is something we all also could work on.

It seems the answer might have something to do with economics.

No.

I've got to agree with the conservatives on this issue.

If the government supports private schools, they are no longer private. Plus some of the private schools are religious schools, and I agree with Jefferson, Franklin, Locke and the other founding fathers on the separation of church and state. This separation is for the protection of religion.

Notes

We've been fighting poverty for thousands of years...ever hear of the war on poverty or the great society? Poverty has always been around, poverty isn't the problem, even poor people can learn and thrive...ever hear of Abe Lincoln or George Washington Carver? I doubt the poverty is the cause of the problems in schools...The family seems more important than money.

No.

I've got to agree with the conservatives on this issue.

If the government supports private schools' date=' they are no longer private. Plus some of the private schools are religious schools, and I agree with Jefferson, Franklin, Locke and the other founding fathers on the separation of church and state. This separation is for the protection of religion.

Notes

[/quote']

I'm pretty sure you just agreed with the liberals. I completely agree with your statement.

You can't fix the schools if you don't fix the parents...schools can only do so much.<...>

Fixing the parents are a big problem. I have a good friend who is a wonderful teacher and left the public school system and went private because there were too many kids who didn't want to learn, disrupted the class so those who wanted to learn couldn't, and had parents who not only didn't care, but threatened the school with lawsuits if the school tried to discipline the children. A very sad state of affairs.

It's poverty sure, but it's also culture. The media glamorizes the illiterate gangster and therefore teaches the kids it's cool to be an illiterate gangster.

I don't know the answer, but I do know the parents need to be fixed.

Notes

We've been fighting poverty for thousands of years...ever hear of the war on poverty or the great society? Poverty has always been around' date=' poverty isn't the problem, even poor people can learn and thrive...ever hear of Abe Lincoln or George Washington Carver? I doubt the poverty is the cause of the problems in schools...The family seems more important than money.[/quote']

I will say poverty is a component. Yes so to is the value of a solid family. I heard today 40% of all children are being raised in a single parent household. That's a revolving door. The fix is probably a combination of education and a reduction in the poverty levels. In this education let's not forget a solid foundation in birth control.

My wife teaches kids that barely speak english, have lice and ticks in the hair, don't go to bed at night and dream of one day having a "cool" car and selling drugs...some of them respond very well to being loved and helped by a caring teacher, some don't...it really is a shame...and I'm afraid that there are no easy answers to the problem.

I think there should be qualifications for having children' date=' but I have no idea how to humanely enforce that idea.

Notes[/quote']

If everyone went through the same process My wife and I did before we were able to adopt then perhaps the future would be a bit brighter for the children. That is assuming we are good parents and the system weeds those that are not good potential parents out.

I do send my child to a private school. And as such' date=' I feel that I should not have to pay taxes toward public schools. Like others on this forum have said, why should [i']I [/i]have to pay twice?

Part of the answer to your question is because you live in and belong to a community. As such, you should be concerned not only with educating your own children, but also the children with whom your children will be living and working. We get this complaint a lot here in Florida from retirees. Another way to look at it is this - do you want stupid firemen, policemen, etc. in your community or do you want them to be as well-educated as possible? One day one of those kids is going to respond to a 911 call when my old wrinkled *** has fallen and can't get up. To me that is worth the taxes I pay.

If the Government funds Private Schools, they'll make us let poor kids in go to the rich schools. Soon a a Leberal gets in office, they'll pass legislature that lets public schools be private so those schools will get money. While both parties remain disinterested in making sure the money alloted is spent on educational materials for the poor neighborhoods, that will have the half the rich kids in it 'cause of the forced bussing those Dasterdly Liberals will make manditory if the "Private Schools" wants thier Govmn't Check. So please, go ahaed and take Tax Money and call yourself a Private School.

How about a Tax Break if your kid is in Private School? That way you don't have to feel too like you gave some Poor Twit Charity. Whouldn't want any Conservatives to feel to Compasionate.

Part of the answer to your question is because you live in and belong to a community. As such' date=' you should be concerned not only with educating your own children, but also the children with whom your children will be living and working. We get this complaint a lot here in Florida from retirees. Another way to look at it is this - do you want stupid firemen, policemen, etc. in your community or do you want them to be as well-educated as possible? One day one of those kids is going to respond to a 911 call when my old wrinkled *** has fallen and can't get up. To me that is worth the taxes I pay.

[/quote']

What I hear you saying is that the best future a public school student can hope for is something in public service. If a person is well-educated, they can become anything they wish to become - soldiers or CEOs. I'm sure there are millions of educated firemen and policemen in our country, but they serve and protect because they are called to do so, not because they are forced to settle for it.

And by the same thinking, just look at the news - do you think that all those AIG, Chrysler and Congressional big shots have any real smarts, just because they happened to have had high-priced educations? There is a huge difference between "learning something" and "getting an education."

No. Taxes already pay for public schools. If someone doesn't want their kid to go to a public school and would rather send their kid to a private school for whatever reason' date=' it's on them to pay for it, not me... twice.

[/quote']

+1

Archived