Gibson Brands Forums

It's Funny how one thing always leads to another.

John P

I figured it was time to put the Les Paul DC I got at the beginning of this virus away and bring out my old Les Paul Standard. Well after opening the case, and getting ready to tune, I saw how ratty the strings were looking and decided to replace them with a new set of DRs. Well, after getting the strings off, I saw how rough the fret board was looking and set about cleaning and conditioning it.  After that, I decided the frets could sure use a polishing. With that done, it was apparent that everything could use a good polishing. Next it was time to finally put on those new strings, only to discover the tuner for the bass side E string was worn out, so now it's time to logon to Sweetwater for a new set of Gibson tuners. Maybe I should have just left the DC on the stand.

• Haha 1

On 5/31/2020 at 8:14 PM, Realmongo said:

I figured it was time to put the Les Paul DC I got at the beginning of this virus away and bring out my old Les Paul Standard. Well after opening the case, and getting ready to tune, I saw how ratty the strings were looking and decided to replace them with a new set of DRs. Well, after getting the strings off, I saw how rough the fret board was looking and set about cleaning and conditioning it.  After that, I decided the frets could sure use a polishing. With that done, it was apparent that everything could use a good polishing. Next it was time to finally put on those new strings, only to discover the tuner for the bass side E string was worn out, so now it's time to logon to Sweetwater for a new set of Gibson tuners. Maybe I should have just left the DC on the stand.

ha! Got a chuckle out of this.  It's like I wrote this post..

• Like 1

I think those kind of situations are a blast! I ran across the same issue with my 1975 RI Jazz Bass just last week, I bought it new in 1994. Same exact issue as the OP except I had to adjust the neck. I took the whole thing apart tuners and all and cleaned and polished it. Man when I was done that thing looks and plays sweet!! It has that binding on the neck with the block inlays, awe man, it slept in the bed with me that night. (out of its case)

Edited by Big Bill
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1