Gibson Brands Forums

New Sheraton II pro Vintage burst

Stewie

I recently purchased a new Sheraton II Pro.  This is my third Sheraton.  I also have a Samick built 2001 in Natural finish .  I owned an ebony 2003 Korean model which i sold to get an Ebony Gibson ES335.   I really love the Sheratons.  So much that i sold the Gibson.   I decided to pick up a newer Sherrie to take advantage of the new pickups with the coil taps.   The new Sherrie has Vintage Burst.  I have owned several "burst" guitars in both Gibson and Fender brands.  When i purchased the guitar i really didn't notice hiw the paint scheme was done on the Sheraton.  The dark color does not cover the entire side of the guitar.  I looked back and the Dot uses the same color treatment.  I was wondering why the paint is done this way. 

I was thinking it might be an Epiphone specific  paint  scheme.  I know they came before the ES Gibson series came out.  Gibbies have the all black sides.   I used to think my Korean  Sammick built was nice but this modern Chinese version is really sweet.  Kudos to Epiphone.  

I'm not sure  all.   I agree that something like a Les Paul or an SG would not have the burst extend to the side and back  but my ES135 and my J200 definitely do.

I know they came before the ES Gibson series came out

Not sure what you're getting at there Stewie,

The meaning of ES is "Electric Spanish" and Gibson has been building them since some time around 1938.

I have a Pro II as well.  purchased that one in 2015.  Nice axe!

Edited by kidblast

Yes mine is a 2015.  I purchased it a month ago from my local Ma and Pa.  I have dealt with them for years and they have a pretty good stock of NOS guitars still in the box brand new.   This was the last one and I got it for an extremely good price.  They included a good hardshell case. And a complete set up with my strings.    I have another one in Natural finish.  It is a Sammick  built 2001.  Really sweet . The pickups are kind of funky in a cool way.  The reference to the ES series was an article I read years ago that Gibson used Epi designs to come up with the ES335 thinline style of guitar the year after they bought Epiphone.  But that could be just hearsay.  Anyway I do like the new model a lot.

4 hours ago, Stewie said:

The reference to the ES series was an article I read years ago that Gibson used Epi designs to come up with the ES335 thinline style of guitar the year after they bought Epiphone.  But that could be just hearsay.  Anyway I do like the new model a lot.

Oh I see,  I hadn't heard that,  ES-335s were introduced in 1958, and this is what Wikipedia has to saw about Sheraton's  Seems like the hit the streets around the same time frame if you read between the lines.

Gibson used the same body for the Sheraton as it was using for its new ES-335, ES-345, and ES-355 models. It featured the same double rounded horns, and had similarly placed electronics. The Sheraton was fitted with a set glued-in neck, in accordance with Gibson's standard practice. Distinguishing characteristics of the Sheraton included its multiple body binding (like that of its top of the line Gibson cousin, the ES-355); its Frequensator tail piece; and its headstock and fretboard inlays. Unlike any of the semi-hollowbodies in the Gibson line, the Sheraton's headstock featured Epiphone's traditional fancy vine (or "tree of life") inlay on its headstock, while its fretboard featured a block and triangle (or "V") inlay of mother-of-pearl and abalone, as well as binding on the fretboard's surface, inset slightly from the outer edges.

I had a mid 90s Sheraton (MIK, not sure what plant it was made in)  IMHO the new versions are much better (better pickups/hardware..etc)

My 2001 Sammick made is really a sweet guitar.  It is very light compared to my other two Sheratons and the 335.  The hardware is good and as i mentioned the pickups  have a nice growl to them.  The new Sheraton is much cleaner sounding. I like them both.  My brother decided to take up Guitar and was using an amplified  acoustic.  I loaned him the Sheraton  and my Super Champ Xd amp.  I regret that a little.  I will have to ask if he plays it at all and get it back.