Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson GA5


Sgt. Pepper
 Share

Recommended Posts

I saw one of these today in a mom and pop shop I was in. I think it was $299. I tipped it back and didn't see any tubes, so it might be all solid state. I know nothing about Gibson amps. It was at a place called Winter Sound and Music in Gloucester, Virginia.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, kidblast said:

I'm am assuming this is a reissue?  Decent price, they tend to be closer to 400 if not north of that on places like ebay

It was the first Gibson amp I've ever seen. I know people here ask about them and the owner is a great guy and usually has stuff at good prices if someone was looking for one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The original GA5s are vintagy kind of things,  some date back to the 50s,  The more recent GA5s are hand wired, and are kind of "retro" to the amps built "back in the day"...

Gibson bought Trace Elliot back in the 90s sometime, and from the UK plant, they rebranded them to Gibson Goldtone Amps.  They went thru a few iterations of Goldtone amps before they just killed the whole line.  Those GA5 reissues wheres some of the last ones they offered.  I have a 30w class a 2x12 combo.  It's a nice amp,  has a great voicing to it, but it's wicked heavy.  about 90lbs57374594_10211638661921618_3846751986527.

Edited by kidblast
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, kidblast said:

The original GA5s are vintagy kind of things,  some date back to the 50s,  The more recent GA5s are hand wired, and are kind of "retro" to the amps built "back in the day"...

Gibson bought Trace Elliot back in the 90s sometime, and from the UK plant, they rebranded them to Gibson Goldtone Amps.  They went thru a few iterations of Goldtone amps before they just killed the whole line.  Those GA5 reissues wheres some of the last ones they offered.  I have a 30w class a 2x12 combo.  It's a nice amp,  has a great voicing to it, but it's wicked heavy.  about 90lbs57374594_10211638661921618_3846751986527.

No idea how it sounds, but that's sweet sounding!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

fester...  the class A setup gives it a pretty raw pure tone.   similar to a VOX AC30 amp.  very touch sensitive, and unforgiving

It's a stereo amp, (2 15watt class A amps bolted onto a single chasis.)  the FX loop is also stereo.

The stereo reverb is insane. Sounds like it's coming from everywhere. 

Here's the back.  Volume  Tone Reverb,  that's it!   to get it to break up, volume needs to be up past 12 o'clock, at that point, you don't want to be standing in front of it..  thankfully it takes OD pedals nicely. 

 

57345630_10211638669361804_7608613154175

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wanted to buy one so bad back then.  It made a glorious roar.  It doesn't come with someone to carry it, and even back then at only 40 years old I wasn't about to.  I admire you for getting that thing out of the house, you deserve that glorious roar.

rct

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/2/2020 at 7:09 AM, kidblast said:

The original GA5s are vintagy kind of things,  some date back to the 50s,  The more recent GA5s are hand wired, and are kind of "retro" to the amps built "back in the day"...

Gibson bought Trace Elliot back in the 90s sometime, and from the UK plant, they rebranded them to Gibson Goldtone Amps.  They went thru a few iterations of Goldtone amps before they just killed the whole line.  Those GA5 reissues wheres some of the last ones they offered.  I have a 30w class a 2x12 combo.  It's a nice amp,  has a great voicing to it, but it's wicked heavy.  about 90lbs57374594_10211638661921618_3846751986527.

Hey KB - looking at that picture, looks like your back porch.  Is that so, and if so - does that mean your back home.  Hoping so!  And if not - regardless, it was out on a porch, did you make it roar?!?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, uncle fester said:

Hey KB - looking at that picture, looks like your back porch.  Is that so, and if so - does that mean your back home.  Hoping so!  And if not - regardless, it was out on a porch, did you make it roar?!?

yea, that was our deck, and that pic was taken a while ago.

We're still waiting for insurance settlement the rebuild/repairs have not even begun yet.   In temporary housing for now.  Which is ok, it's a nice place.

We are assuming a year till we're back..  maybe longer,  really does suck..   Can't open our pool, deck just sits there, some of it damaged from the fire..

it's all a very long,  and painful process I'm afraid

thx for checking in Bill!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, rct said:

I wanted to buy one so bad back then.  It made a glorious roar.  It doesn't come with someone to carry it, and even back then at only 40 years old I wasn't about to.  I admire you for getting that thing out of the house, you deserve that glorious roar.

rct

Tone wise, it's got a lot of character, but jeezus its loud.. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...