Gibson Brands Forums

best wood for a guitar

Thundergod

Builders always talk about tonewoods... that this one is better because it gives more sustain... that one is better because it's lighter... and that one over there is better because the mid-higs ring heavenly when you are eating a big mac (if you are eating a whopper you will sound like sh-t)

So what's your take on it? Do you care about that when buying a guitar?

Alder is the common name of a genus of flowering plants (Alnus) belonging to the birch family (Family Betulaceae). The genus comprises about 30 species of monoecious trees and shrubs, few reaching large size, distributed throughout the North Temperate Zone and in the New World also along the Andes southwards to Argentina.

Ok, help me out if I'm way off base here.

Electric theory ; the denser the wood the more the sustain. This keeps the string vibrations from dissipating into the guitar. So you want very dense wood, but that typically means extreme weight so you have to find the balance. If not for the weight would this not mean ebony guitars would probably sound great.

Acoustic theory; just the opposite you want the strings to transfer the vibration to the body of the guitar and thus a much softer variety of wood is preferred. Pines and such.

do I have that correct?

Here's a link for hardness and another here for density. For me it depends on the guitar. The LP is obvious, but I choose ash for the strat (just my taste). For acoustics, anything that Taylor uses for their 300 series and up is the best combination for my tastes.

Acoustics, I prefer the Warmer sound of Rosewood back and sides, with Spruce Top, Generic as it may be. But an all Solid Mahogony plays fingerstyle blues like nothing else.

I love the Gibson all Maple/w Spruce top J200's, however.

Electrics I like all the differences. It's one of the reasons I have such a bad case of GAS. I love my Alder Strat (MIM Buddy Guy), my Old '88 Strat may be Poplar or Alder, I'm not sure, but It has very similar tonal qualities to the Buddy Guy. My Ash Bodied Deluxe Players Strat has a much Darker, yet still Fender Tone. More sustain and a little More of a "Thump". The Alder seems to "Pop" more than "Thump".

Then the Mahogony in my Nighthawk has sustain for ever and such a rich Brown Sound that I can't get out of the Buckers I've used on Countless Basswood and Alder Ibanez's and Fender HSS.

Basswood just has no character at all, which makes it Ideal for Digital Modeling.

i generally like denser woods like ash and mahogony for electric. but i have been finding myself really enjoying a couple of alder body strat i have around.

i dont play acousticc so i cant tell you about that.

Archived