Gibson Brands Forums

Post pics of your dream amp (even if you already own it)

Thundergod

This is tough as I tend to be practical in the sense that I don't want to buy something that is too powerful for me to make use of. But, if I could blast away without any worry...

Marshall JCM 800 Series 2203 with vertical inputs half stack. Nothing sounds bigger than bigger iron. Nothing.

82_JCM800_HalfStack.JPG

This would be a dream rig - especially since it belongs to Larry Carlton - it's his Dumble rig

Carltonsrig.jpg

Here is his new BludoTone amp

CarltonsBludotone.jpg

Another Dumble amp

Dumbleamp.jpg

Train Wreck amps

TrainWreck1.jpg

But since I cannot afford a Dumble, I'll probably end up with this fine sounding Brown Note Delite 22/33 watt

brownnoteamp.gif

Ha ha! I'd do the same thing. I don't give a crap how much mojo an amp is supposed to have - I'm no rock star and, even if I was, I still think there are much better buys for amps out there. Two Rock amps are supposed to have a similar vibe even though they're outrageously expensive too but at least they aren't THAT expensive and you can still buy them brand new.

how expensive are dumbles?

The only Dumble I've found for sale was from a botique amp dealer out of New York and I think it was right at $45,000.

The Brown Note is basically a clone of Dumble Over Drive Special #124. You can buy the kit and solder it yourself for just under $700 or buy it built for a little over a grand.

I think BludoTones will go for about $3000 depending on what you want. Brandon (they guy who builds them) lives and builds them here in Littleton, CO and he talks with all of his customers and gives them a true custom amp.

Ha ha! I'd do the same thing. I don't give a crap how much mojo an amp is supposed to have - I'm no rock star and' date=' even if I was, I still think there are much better buys for amps out there. Two Rock amps are supposed to have a similar vibe even though they're outrageously expensive too but at least they aren't THAT expensive and you can still buy them brand new.

[/quote']

No doubt about the over-price on Dumbles. Funny thing is he sold them for a few grand for each amp.

All of these make Dumble clones

Two Rock

Fuchs

Carol Ann

Van Weelden

Brown Note

Ceriatone

I don't know about those being actually clones. Dumble put goop over a good portion of his preamp circuit that you couldn't just remove without destroying the circuit so, as far as I know, nobody knows exactly what the circuit was. And, if they did, I doubt that Dumble amps would be commanding the incredible prices that they are if it was easy enough to just get a clone.

I don't know about those being actually clones. Dumble put goop over a good portion of his preamp circuit that you couldn't just remove without destroying the circuit so' date=' as far as I know, nobody knows exactly what the circuit was. And, if they did, I doubt that Dumble amps would be commanding the incredible prices that they are if it was easy enough to just get a clone.

[/quote']

I talked with the guy who builds those BludoTone amps and he de-gooped Larry Carlton's blond (I think the blond one) amp and built him a new amp via those specs.

Larry and Robben Ford were doing a show up here in Bolder last year and Brandon happened to be at the sound check (long story how that happened). As luck would have it, Larry's amp started smoking and then it fried out. they knew Brandon built amps and asked if he could fix it. He said he couldn't get the parts in time for the show - Littleton is south of Denver and Boulder is North with all of the rush hour traffic between the two.

Brandon "happend" to have one of his amps in his car and he let Larry play it for the rest of the sound check. Larry liked it, used it for the show and asked to use it for the rest of the tour. A no brainer for Brandon. Then he asked him to carry his amp back to his shop and fix his Dumble. Later, Larry asked if Brandon could build him a couple of BludoTones with the same specs as his Dumble. These are the amps Carlton uses in a lot (if not all?) of his shows now.

I say all of that to say it is possible to de-goop a Dumble amp.

Also, a lot of the high price comes from the name Dumble - you know how that goes.

18 watt CeriaTone Marshall clone. Custom made with a post-phase inverter master volume. It's bad ***!

CIMG9832-1.jpg

I also really want a JTM45 head, so I might get another Ceria built. Oh yeah, I want a Fender Champ too. Oh, and I want an Egnater Rebel. Grrrrr!

how expensive are dumbles?

Look:

Recently a guy from Ojai put up for sale on Ebay an autographed, and built for Larry Carlton Dumble Overdrive Special.

This guy used it to record an album, I wish I could remember his name.

The starting price on his Dumble Overdrive Special was $52,000.

I'm not kidding.

I had the opportunity to hear a couple cuts off that record. OMG. Sounded incredible.

But the price!

Wow!.

1/4 watt best thing I ever did for studio and home use SANY0004.jpg

second best for not home only

57_Amp_Black_600.jpg

and finally the Slo100 if I feel the need

How does the Little 1/4 watter sound? I've been interested in one of those.

Hey, the problem with all of these is that...

The real "dream amp" would be one of the big honkers with better strength and roadability - but weighing no more than 10 pounds and being capable of folding into a briefcase.

<grin>

Archived