Gibson Brands Forums

Re-purposing Vintage Tuners

I always like tinkering around and I needed a decent set of era correct tuners for my 1942 LG-1. I found one set that was missing one gear and shaft and needs the buttons replaced. I started scanning the net for information about these era tuners. Willi has a great post over on UMGF

https://umgf.com/chronology-of-kluson-tuners-used-from-late-1936-to-t197854.htm

After shopping around I noticed the slotted head tuners from that era were more available and they looked the same except for the string hole in the shaft.

I picked up a set that looked in decent shape to try out. Here's some photos. 

I bought brass bar stock to size and a special tap for the screw holes. Made the shafts to match an original one then did an aging on the brass, replaced the buttons then assembled them. I'll do a few more sets to get better at it.

I followed Dan Erlewine's instructions on the buttons but I'm not totally happy with the results. I'll make some kind of jig then redo them.

Button stem replacement

Button stem replacement

Button stem replacement

Button stem replacement

Button stem replacement

Button stem replacement

Button stem replacement

Button stem replacement

6 hours ago, Leonard McCoy said:

The brass bars came out fantastic, the buttons are the problem. I'd first file down the mold marks and, since the buttons are entirely black, it would probably suffice for a convincing aging job to make the surface less shiny (scuff sanding).

I'll give that a shot

10 hours ago, Leonard McCoy said:

The brass bars came out fantastic, the buttons are the problem. I'd first file down the mold marks and, since the buttons are entirely black, it would probably suffice for a convincing aging job to make the surface less shiny (scuff sanding).

I did one strip and it does look a lot nicer

Tuners button aging

Tuners button aging

• 3 weeks later...

I've been having a little fun  fixing up sets. Just last week, I took a set off a Regal that were pristine except for the buttons. I replaced the buttons and put  them out on EBay. The owner of Kluson  (WD Music Products -Larry Davis) contacted me and wound up buying them.

s-l1600.jpg