Gibson Brands Forums

1961 Hummingbird

E-minor7

2 hours ago, PatriotsBiker said:

Jones on slide, supposedly. Don't know which acoustic he used for it, though.

I was mistaken earlier. I don't know why I always think 1967 when I think of this album.

One thing has always puzzled me about this and some of the other great tracks that are not thought of as part of their biggest hits list. Did songs like this ever get any air time, or did you miss out entirely unless you had the album. (We didn't even get a good Rock FM station where I was raised until maybe 1980. We did have cable the prior year, though, which back then, allowed me to pickup stations in Boston and NY.) 

I don't think I even had access to FM radio until I went off to college in 1965.  When it came to pop music on AM radio prior to that, it was primarily singles, with the B-side rarely getting airtime.

My college radio station --WBRU FM (Brown University)--was playing album cuts in the mid-60s, and complete albums sometimes, so you didn't have to own an album to have reasonable access to everything on it, as I recall.

50 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

My idea of Jones behind a J-200 comes from the well-known Godard-clips seen on these pages many times. This footage was taken during the recording of the BB-album. 

Nicky Hopkins on piano. Poor bugger had a difficult time of it.

2 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

My idea of Jones behind a J-200 comes from the well-known Godard-clips seen on these pages many times. This footage was taken during the recording of the BB-album. 

I believe the so called progressive stations played a lot less poppy material back then - including Stones. Those radios lived for and survived by sending the barb-wire in the air. . 

I've never finished watching that documentary. I remember some from the SFTD portion with Keef on bass and Bill and someone else with some hand percussion.I think I saw Mick with an SJ as well, but I don't think it was part of anything that ended up getting recorded. I could be wayyyyy off track with that memory. 

I had many versions of metal pieced together just so I could pick up a op-rock station out of Springfield Mass. I'm still digging how fortunate we are these days on that front.

2 hours ago, j45nick said:

I don't think I even had access to FM radio until I went off to college in 1965.  When it came to pop music on AM radio prior to that, it was primarily singles, with the B-side rarely getting airtime.

My college radio station --WBRU FM (Brown University)--was playing album cuts in the mid-60s, and complete albums sometimes, so you didn't have to own an album to have reasonable access to everything on it, as I recall.

The only thing I remember about my college station (SUNY Cobleskill) was some programming I couldn't get into. Might have been hard-core metal of the day.

On 6/8/2020 at 9:54 PM, j45nick said:

Nicky Hopkins on piano. Poor bugger had a difficult time of it.

I know this ain't a piano-forum, but glad you noticed and mentioned the piano. Nicky Hopkins was a saint by those keys and he and the engineer really get the tone right in the outro. They melt it down with some flanger effect. It's beautiful. 

41 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

I know this ain't a piano-forum, but glad you noticed and mentioned the piano. Nicky Hopkins was a saint by those keys and he and the engineer really get the tone right in the outro. They melt it down with some flanger effect. It's beautiful. 

Well one thing I did notice, and would be surprised if PatriotsBkr didn't notice, having the ear that he has for studio nuance, is how for a tune shared here for a listen of the Hummingbird, it ends up being much further back in the mix than the piano. Not surprising the keys come across as good as they did.

EDIT: Nevermind. 'Just listened again.  Who's up front, and who's back in the mix changes throughout. And the 'Birds ceramic is definitely heard clear and heard early.

Edited by 62burst

I know it's not going to be popular with the purists, but I found the newer version(s) of No Expectations version to be a real sonic treat. I actually ordered an updated version of the CD because I discovered mine to be lost, and it was an old master for sure. If you have Tidal, find the version in the old box set. The one in the London Years Singles Collection and then listen to the latest album edition they have posted for it. It's a massive difference, piano included.

I'd been lost in la-la land by the time the piano came on. I'd already been taken by both the HB and the slide guitar. It was the entry of the bass, though, that I admired the most. Just brilliant. A fan all over again. 🙂

19 minutes ago, PatriotsBiker said:

I know it's not going to be popular with the purists, but I found the newer version(s) of No Expectations version to be a real sonic treat. I actually ordered an updated version of the CD because I discovered mine to be lost, and it was an old master for sure. If you have Tidal, find the version in the old box set. The one in the London Years Singles Collection and then listen to the latest album edition they have posted for it. It's a massive difference, piano included.

I'd been lost in la-la land by the time the piano came on. I'd already been taken by both the HB and the slide guitar. It was the entry of the bass, though, that I admired the most. Just brilliant. A fan all over again. 🙂

Good to hear, , , yea the bass is as simple as it's right ^