Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson GA-19 RVT Falcon demo

David Morley

I just made a video of my GA-19 RVT. I'm no Pete Thorn, but I thought people might like to hear the amp.
I love it for the reverb and clean sounds mainly.
Mine seems to have the original tubes and is 100% original and still works fine. I guess it saw some but not much use.
I'll do a dirty LP video later 
I stop talking around 2 mins FYI

Cheers, David

• 2 weeks later...

Nice.  That looks like a '62 or '63.  It sounds like the model without the "tone suck" circuit that plagued some Gibson designs, including some Falcons.  I just worked on one like that, with the grain-textured tolex and the slanted baffle board.  I think the one I worked on like that was a '62.  Probably the best Falcon model!  Congrats on the acquisition.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, David Morley said:

Many thanks for the info. Appreciate you listening too!

i do like the amp a lot. I just used it to reamp some guitars on a project I was mixing and the artist loved the sound too.

I love the tremolo on those amps.  Really deep and thumpy.  The reverb is weird, like you were saying, how the reverb volume is independent of the instrument volume. You have to change the reverb level when you change the volume.  They figured out later that if they fed the reverb return signal back in before the volume control that the dry and wet signals would both get attenuated by the volume control.

On 6/20/2020 at 2:23 PM, badbluesplayer said:

I love the tremolo on those amps.  Really deep and thumpy.  The reverb is weird, like you were saying, how the reverb volume is independent of the instrument volume. You have to change the reverb level when you change the volume.  They figured out later that if they fed the reverb return signal back in before the volume control that the dry and wet signals would both get attenuated by the volume control.

Agreed re tremolo,  but the reverb is still great how it is as I use it as an effect on my mixes too. 

• 1 month later...

Sounds great!...

I just bought one of these, it's in pretty bad shape so I got it cheap...The prices for these amps have gone way up lately, so I decided to take a chance on a salvage job...Hoping to have it restored once I get the cash together...The guy threw in an old empty Gibson cabinet which I should be able to scavenge to make it look pretty decent in the end...

The ones from the Crestline era, such as yours, used different tubes from prior iterations and the schematic for these is actually the one for the Maestro M-216 RVT...(Gibson made amps under the Maestro brand as well as Epiphone)...I've attached a copy for anyone interested or might need it...

Someone mentioned removing the tone suck part of the circuit that basically takes out a lot of low end and ends up making the amp sound very shrill...There's a great youtube video where a guy walks you through this exact process..In the end he compares 3 Falcon amps of similar vintage to yours but in different states of modification...I found it pretty fascinating...Check it out here...

Btw, I dig your playing, sounds cool to me!...Cheers....

MAESTRO M216-RVT SCHEMATIC.JPG

• 3 years later...