Gibson Brands Forums

Do i need to be concerned about this on my new Gibson G45?

davidmichael52

I purchased this G45 STANDARD  guitar one day ago and i love the guitar and sound. I just wanted to see inside the guitar and the quality of this instrument and was kinda shocked at what i seen.... the wood plate they put down under the bridge looks awful... Its like a hole in it with glue filled up inside it..... what do you think? this seems to me would make that plate weak,,,,, I purchased this guitar at musiciansfriend as well.

rsz_20200606_071421.jpg

For better or worse, that's fairly typical of Gibson bridgeplates. The large hole partially filled with glue is not necessarily a problem. The bridgeplate is primarily local top reinforcement under the bridge.

If it were my guitar, the next time I changed strings, I would reach inside with a single-edge razor blade and trim off the splinters around the pin holes.

3 hours ago, davidmichael52 said:

I absolutely love the sound of this guitar over my D35... But when i seen that i thought omg........ this guitar is a killer for me.. i love the sound and it's the first gibson i ever owned or could afford....

Congrats- you've given yourself a good range of playing experiences between your D-35 and your new Gibson. 

Yes, 'fairly sure it was J45Nick years ago who'd mentioned that the bridge plate tearout that can happen while the br. pin holes are being drilled could probably be avoided just by locating some kind of caul supporting the plate from inside.  

1 hour ago, Skinny Boy Jackson said:

A 2013 J35 I used to own. 

The holes are used as positioning references I was told.

That's a good one. There are photos that have been posted here much more dramatic than that. (you know who you are). Yes, it happens. Gibson. But you keep coming back. Hmm...

Edited by 62burst

3 hours ago, davidmichael52 said:

I absolutely love the sound of this guitar over my D35... But when i seen that i thought omg........ this guitar is a killer for me.. i love the sound and it's the first gibson i ever owned or could afford....

Great ^ may you spend many blissful hours together. . 

8 hours ago, 62burst said:

Yes, 'fairly sure it was J45Nick years ago who'd mentioned that the bridge plate tearout that can happen while the br. pin holes are being drilled could probably be avoided just by locating some kind of caul supporting the plate from inside.  

Yeah, but it might add 30 seconds or so to the production time. You could probably jig it up to add less time than that. 

Anyone who has done any kind of fine woodworking that requires drilling clean holes knows that trick. I typically just hold a piece of scrap wood on the back of whatever I'm drilling through.

It ain't rocket science, and it's so frustrating to see this when a clean hole through something really is desirable.

Like, for instance, the pin holes through a bridgeplate.

Suppose, for the sake of argument, it adds two minutes to production time (which is unlikely), and your guitar builder is costing the company $45 per hour between wages, benefits, etc. This would add $1.50 to production costs (assuming you've amortized the cost of the jig over a thousand guitars are so, so that its addition to cost is negligible), maybe $3 to retail price.

I'd be willing to pay that, but you should not be in that position on a guitar that costs more than $2000.

I frankly find it inexcusable in a high-quality new guitar.

In fairness, both of the Bozeman-built guitars I have now are pretty good in this regard.