Gibson Brands Forums

1984 The Paul with tremolo

Judson

I owned one. It was my first guitar. I think Gibson made them for about 5 to 7 years maybe. Mine was a late 70's or early 80's. The body is walnut. Mine had no trem. That's after market. I'm sure the zebra pup is not stock. Mine had dual open coil hums and both were black.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Only a few...uh, special, expensive Les Pauls had Kahler/Gibson branded Kahler Flyers on them.  The Paul was an inexpensive version, so no, it didn't come with that stock.

rct

• Like 1

The Gibson "The Paul" also came as Version I and II's which were indicated on the trussrod cover. Coming with a variety of types of humbuckers and with relief on the contoured edges (kind of like an SG) including a few with sculpted tops. 

21 hours ago, Judson said:

Lol. Thanks for the tip!!

The Kahler 2200 tremolo built for Gibson was first produced in 85, so this 84 "The Paul" most likely had it installed later. Also note that the Kahler 2200 required some material to be removed from the guitar to allow a little space for the cam-fulcrum and 2 springs. So there is a small hogged out area in the wood under the tremolo.

nvmxc65emfaf2lufy6dv.jpgladhffycit6pbyyni8qw.jpg

These original Gibson/Kahler tremolos can sell used for around $300 and up depending on condition.

Note: these original Gibson/Kahler tremolos seem to be very desirable.

Edited by mihcmac

• 1 year later...
On 7/11/2021 at 5:35 PM, Jeff jay said:

I think that is my guitar from 1983.  I had the tremolo put in and pick up switch moved.  Any interest in selling?   214-790-9384

id love to see more photos but sure looks like it.   

When you get a phone call at 2:00 am with heavy breathing and fast slapping sounds, just tell Pepper to behave and it will stop.

• Haha 2

Yeah, Jeff maybe should have just suggested getting sent a PM.  Now he'll start getting calls from everyone trying to sell him anything from metal roofing, vinyl siding and concrete floor sealing to Life Alert systems, home and car warranties and leaf guard gutters.  And too, like I'm getting lately, calls his caller ID  identifies as "Potential scam/spam".  (one or the other).  Not to mention the plethora of pissant charities asking for donations.

Whitefang