Gibson Brands Forums

marooc87

marooc87

Hi @ll, 

I'm from Germany & just bought a used J-45 Std. from 2012 over here.

From my point of view  there's nothing to complain on that guitar. This particular model has the older thin pickguard.

I wonder if anybody of u out there happen to know if Gibson made some significant changes (building-wise) on the J-45 over those years.

For instance on the beginning of following video.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5wnctndnV8 

..it's said that the 2019 model "got broken doll fix it" (right?).. wonder about what that could mean or if it's just a way of expression 

which i couldn't know as a german dude 😄 ..as a  lover of acoustic guitars always a little curious on things like that.. of course i know that in the end every single guitar has to be seen as unique.

Greetings overall

Edited by marooc87
grammatic

Welcome. As primarily an English speaker, I also found the Don R's audio a little difficult to make out on that Guitar Center video. However, at the 23 second mark, he said "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". You can look up the meaning of that phrase, but the quick definition would be something like "if it is already good, don't change it for the sake of change". That phrase is also quoted in the Info on the YouTube page that you linked to.

Congrats on your 2012 J-45. . . many people here would agree that Gibson was making some great guitars in that period.  Of course, we'd love to see a photo, or even a sample ;  ).

Welcome to the forum! I can appreciate that it's a little hard to understand what he is saying, but actually it's "if it's not broken, don't fix it". This is an old expression that means if something works well, then it should not be changed. So, the point he is making is that the J-45 has a long history and is very popular, so there's no need to "fix" it.

From my experience, owning several J45 Standards in the last decade, the only differences have been:

1) some necks are fuller than others, despite the specs being the same - for example the 2013 I bought off a forum member here, which is in my friend's care now, has a thin slim neck - very easy to play.

2) some have the Baggs Element pickup, and the newer ones have the Baggs Element VTC (adds tone control).