Gibson Brands Forums

Help ID a newish LP

Hi folks - probably an easy one but it's driving me a bit batty. New-to-me Studio model. Pretty sure it's a 2012, but ...

SN is 122790260

So it's a 9 digit number. According to the Gibson site, "Gibson USA goes to a 9 digit serial number in early July 2005" with the first 8 digit pattern not changing from the previous version (YDDDYRRR), so this instrument would have been made on the 227 day of 2019. 

BUT the Gibson site also says, "USA 2014 to present: The pattern is as follows: YYRRRRRRR, which would give the instrument a 2012 manufacture year, which is what I'm expecting

But that doesn't make sense. If it was made in 2012, it should have the 2005 numbering scheme, which puts it back to a 2019. Am I missing something obvious here?  

Thanks in advance for help.

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/10/2020 at 1:46 PM, davidhminor said:

Hi folks - probably an easy one but it's driving me a bit batty. New-to-me Studio model. Pretty sure it's a 2012, but ...

SN is 122790260

So it's a 9 digit number. According to the Gibson site, "Gibson USA goes to a 9 digit serial number in early July 2005" with the first 8 digit pattern not changing from the previous version (YDDDYRRR), so this instrument would have been made on the 227 day of 2019. 

BUT the Gibson site also says, "USA 2014 to present: The pattern is as follows: YYRRRRRRR, which would give the instrument a 2012 manufacture year, which is what I'm expecting

But that doesn't make sense. If it was made in 2012, it should have the 2005 numbering scheme, which puts it back to a 2019. Am I missing something obvious here?  

Thanks in advance for help.

When in doubt, call Gibson customer service. They can run the serial number to see if it matches the model and tell you the production year.

Edited by commanderzoom