Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

LarryUK

1 minute ago, LarryUK said:

Sorry, I've bought a Strat. A USA Standard for 2014. A 60th anniversary one.

It's got good specs and is mint. Only cost a bit more than a Vintera. 

sorry?   why? 🙂 I have 2014 (Sienna Burst)  Great guitar.  You'll probably like the Fat 50s pickups.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 6:57 AM, kidblast said:

sorry?   why? 🙂 I have 2014 (Sienna Burst)  Great guitar.  You'll probably like the Fat 50s pickups.

I had the same as yours, color and all. Not as nice as Larry's I'm sure. I just couldn't bond with mine. Swapped the pups to noiseless, pearloid pickguard, locking tuners... I sold it almost two years ago and got the new American Performer Series, we get along great. We have a baby coming in August.

4 minutes ago, Big Bill said:

I had the same as yours, color and all. Not as nice as Larry's I'm sure. I just couldn't bond with mine. Swapped the pups to noiseless, pearloid pickguard, locking tuners... I sold it almost two years ago and got the new American Performer Series, we get along great. We have a baby coming in August.

what was the game changer with the new one?  pickups?  

The pickups, feel of the neck, and the craftsmanship. I just couldn't get the tone I wanted. I think I may have got a lemon. I bought it brand new for just over $900. I couldn't figure out why it was so cheap. It was my first American Standard. 

The American Performer is spot on, exactly what I wanted.

Edited by Big Bill

29 minutes ago, Big Bill said:

Strats are weird like that. My fav of the 4  I've owed was my '97 Silver American Series (aka American Standard they just were not calling it that at the time) Strat. Put Eric Johnson pups in it, then Lollars then Rio Grandes. I had a 3 tone '02 Am. Dlx Strat. Hated the neck and the metal nut it came with. I  put a Warmoth neck on it. Sold it to my brother in  law. He loves it. Its got Rio Grandes in it.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper