Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums

Tonewood Amp


kidblast
 Share

Recommended Posts

I may have jumped the shark boys..  I did a pre-order on a Tonewood amp..  got the email about an hour ago,,  the order has been shipped...  Chya!

the plan is to use this on my 1978 Alvarez DY74 Yari...   but who knows,  I don't...

after the house fire in march, the covid lock down, and the ensuing civil unrest... I figure screw it.. what else could go wrong now?????????????  maybe I should not ask..

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

jed- this was one of the original demos of the Tonewood amp, and the one that sold me on the idea of it. Ok, what I was really thinking about was maybe sneaking one of these into a ukulele for fun.

The video, the sounds, and the chemistry these two guitarists have makes it hard to believe that the sun is setting on the popularity of acoustic guitar music:

 

Edited by 62burst
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bad things come in threes, Kid, so you should be good. I was thinking (there I go working without tools again) "I don't want some sticky thing gunking up the back of my 'Bird
but than I looked at the attachment process. Ah, said I, magnets! I actually use nobelium magnets to attach the battery inside my guitar instead of Velcro for my 
on my Semore   Duncan Mag Mic pickup. Let me know how it plays out as I am thinking this would be a great camp fire amp and would blow my friends minds as I 
am getting effects out of a "unplugged" guitar.

Oh and hey Jedzep, Django did it with 2 fingers and a cigarette hanging out of his mouth! Don't try that at home kids.

Edited by Holiday Hoser
Link to comment
Share on other sites

yea boys,  I'll post my reactions.. 

Dawes shows up a lot on their demos and YT vids.

Hoser, guitars and camp fires are the perfect setting.

Unc...  since it uses your internal pickup, and it does have a "volume" section with a gain control probably has some projection over the primary volume.   I'll find out, estimated delivery is monday.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, kidblast said:

Unc...  since it uses your internal pickup, and it does have a "volume" section with a gain control probably has some projection over the primary volume.   I'll find out, estimated delivery is monday.

Doesn't matter, I don't need one, really don't want one, ....  well maybe just one.  Enjoy, I'm looking forward to the reviews.  And the type of venues it would be useful for, are the types of venues opening up first...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, uncle fester said:

Doesn't matter, I don't need one, really don't want one, ....  well maybe just one.  Enjoy, I'm looking forward to the reviews.  And the type of venues it would be useful for, are the types of venues opening up first...

NEED?  who said anything about "NEED"

🙂

BTW, This is not really meant for busking/performing.  it's meant to enhance the players own experience while playing / practicing, composing. 

I'll let ya know how it goes...  

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, kidblast said:

NEED?  who said anything about "NEED"

🙂

BTW, This is not really meant for busking/performing.  it's meant to enhance the players own experience while playing / practicing, composing. 

I'll let ya know how it goes...  

I know what would enhance my experience, but was told if I enhanced it too much, i'd go blind...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Yamaha Transacoustic line appears to have similar technology added to the inside of the guitar.

Check it out here:

 

These guitars can be plugged in the old fashioned way too, but the sound in the video is what comes out of the soundhole, not through the cable. Weird...

Lars

Edit: just found the video below, which compares the Tonewood amp to the Yamaha guitars.

 

I think it is pretty cool, but it sort of brings flashbacks to every acoustic hard rock hair band intro from the nineteen-haties 😉

Edited by Lars68
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, kidblast said:

I may have jumped the shark boys..  I did a pre-order on a Tonewood amp..  got the email about an hour ago,,  the order has been shipped...  Chya!

the plan is to use this on my 1978 Alvarez DY74 Yari...   but who knows,  I don't...

after the house fire in march, the covid lock down, and the ensuing civil unrest... I figure screw it.. what else could go wrong now?????????????  maybe I should not ask..

 

 

Nice.

None of mine plug in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/11/2020 at 8:53 PM, 62burst said:

this was one of the original demos of the Tonewood amp, and the one that sold me on the idea of it.

 

They are advertising an amp in a video called "unplugged"?  😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Boyd said:

 

They are advertising an amp in a video called "unplugged"?  😂

Yes, you got their marketing dept on a technical- but if your guitar has some form of onboard pickup, you're technically not plugging in to the grid. . . that is, until you need to charge your rechargeable batteries. ; ).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, technical is in the mind of the beholder. To me, it implies that you are listening to an acoustic instrument, without any amplification. Never would have considered that it meant "plugged into the grid". If that's your definition, then my battery-powered Vox amp would also be "unplugged". This tonewood device uses a pickup that is "plugged in" to an amplifier.

Also, I only watched the beginning of that video. There is an awful lot of reverb, is it coming from the tonewood amp or was it added to the recording? Seems like you would need to A/B one recording WITH the tonewood and a second one WITHOUT it to make any judgement about what it does. Maybe I just didn't watch long enough to see that part? 

Edited by Boyd
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Holiday Hoser said:

Oh brother what a sucker. I too pulled the trigger and ordered one. I called it my father's day present and the missus was not at all amused. But life is short etc...Heading to Montana soon for
hunting, fishing and campfire serenades so I hope it arrives in time.   

nice!  I hope so too.  The lead time is 7 to 10 days from the email I got from them when I asked.

Mine should be delivered Monday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Boyd said:

Well, technical is in the mind of the beholder. To me, it implies that you are listening to an acoustic instrument, without any amplification. Never would have considered that it meant "plugged into the grid". If that's your definition, then my battery-powered Vox amp would also be "unplugged". This tonewood device uses a pickup that is "plugged in" to an amplifier.

Also, I only watched the beginning of that video. There is an awful lot of reverb, is it coming from the tonewood amp or was it added to the recording? Seems like you would need to A/B one recording WITH the tonewood and a second one WITHOUT it to make any judgement about what it does. Maybe I just didn't watch long enough to see that part? 

It's all setable/editable, so you can have what ever amount of "Wet" sound you want.  I'll play around once I get it figured out and post back with a review.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...