Gibson Brands Forums

Tonewood Amp

kidblast

It is probably worth the price of admission to video your guitar friends’ faces when you first play it!

Friends and family non players may not even notice, but the guitarists.....hah!😝

(the reverb in the first demo reminded me of a bar I use to play...terazzo floor and bar sides and big windows on 2 sides....)

BluesKing777.

I have to say, I do find this amusing.  After all the iterations that have been discussed about getting a true acoustic amplified sound, (i.e.  just mic'ing a guitar, using tone dexters to get there etc.... )  and now it's how do we throw a little reverb on top of my pure acoustic sound.  I guess it's being able to do what you want when you want, because the thing does seem cool!

1 hour ago, uncle fester said:

I have to say, I do find this amusing.  After all the iterations that have been discussed about getting a true acoustic amplified sound, (i.e.  just mic'ing a guitar, using tone dexters to get there etc.... )  and now it's how do we throw a little reverb on top of my pure acoustic sound.  I guess it's being able to do what you want when you want, because the thing does seem cool!

It's basically a toy..  But it's a pretty damn cool toy at that!  I'm looking forward to setting this up and checking it out.  I think I'll like it.

Edited by kidblast

Always like a little reverb, i'm thinking it will be a hit 🙂 .  The J45 (with a K&K p'up) sounds pretty good through my blues jr.  Not an 'always' thing I do, but a 'sometimes' thing that's fun for a bit of a change. 

I think the function will be good, I guess I question the comfort thing.  Must not be a problem, haven't heard it mentioned - but wonder if you bump into it when your playing and if that matters anyways

...  would look forward to an A/B comparison if I could nudge you into it 🙂.  

Through your J200 🙂

Edited by uncle fester

...  would look forward to an A/B comparison if I could nudge you into it 🙂.  

Through your J200 🙂

I'll have to see how this all works there, before I add the X braces to my J200 or Taylor Grand Symphony.

So it's going on my 1978 Yari DY74 for now.  

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

I'll have to see how this all works there, before I add the X braces to my J200 or Taylor Grand Symphony.

So it's going on my 1978 Yari DY74 for now.  

Lol, yep!  I’d have to really want ‘off grid’ reverb to alter one of those.

23 hours ago, Boyd said:

Hey... maybe you could plug it into some kind of external audio source when you aren't playing and just let it sit there. Then it would be just like a "ToneRite". LOL 😂

ha!  this is going into a 42 year old guitar,  I don't think there's anything a"Tone Rite" thingy could possibly do to "open" things up at this point..  🤘

so it has arrived  around 3:00 pm today.   the important part of the install is the x-brace inside the body..  It's easy to do,  but a word to the wise, follow the instructions on the PDF you download from ToneWoods website.   A lot of the YouTube vids  miss important first time x-brace placement steps.

It took me a bit of playing around and going back to the manual, but after about an hour, it all made sense and kind of started to do what I expected it to do. 

I spose I could do a vid but there's so many out there that there's really not much of a need for another one.  you just have to find the right "Wetness" settings that works for you.    Once you get that sorted out, it does what it does.

So far, I like it.  It's pretty frikken cool.  is it 2 fiddy bucks cool?  For me, yea, at the moment, I think it is

On 6/13/2020 at 3:15 PM, Holiday Hoser said:

Oh brother what a sucker. I too pulled the trigger and ordered one. I called it my father's day present and the missus was not at all amused. But life is short etc...Heading to Montana soon for
hunting, fishing and campfire serenades so I hope it arrives in time.   

Hoser, when you first get this, you really need to play around with it.  Follow the instructions for first time use, eg: setting the master gain, learning how to edit the settings/save load presets, etc..

PM your email and I'll send you the PDF.  You really need to dial it in for your pickup and what YOU are looking to hear back from it.  (Master Gain setting is key.. it's in the guide.)   It's NOT hard to figure out,  pretty easy to understand once you get used to things. 

Edited by kidblast

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the tone wood amp for a few weeks now.  thought I'd revisit with my over all impression.

I love it!

As a guy who does enjoy using an acoustic amp while I noodle around at home, the ToneWood Amp is almost like it was made for me. 

The reverb effects are pretty lush sounding, and these are my favorite effects. (Hall, Room and Plate).  There is a Delay effect which includes a reverb setting and that is nice too.  I don't find that I have much use for the other effects (trem/delay and over drive/delay)

Real is easy to tweak settings , load / save presets.   You can have as much or as little of the effect coming through as you want.

Each effects allows 10 save settings and you can have 5 different Guitar slots. (each one with it's own master gain and filter settings that work with each guitar.  since every pickup system is different, this is really a plus

Initially I set up my 1978 Yari DY74, but I've since added an additional XBRACEs to my 2 Taylors (Grand Symphony and 514NY)   It takes about 10 minutes to install the XBRACE correctly, and once installed you don't even know it's in there.   And the brace stays put once installed.  

I took it over to show my brother in-law, a few days after I took delivery,    like BK said,, the look on his face was priceless.   "wait !! ... Whaaaaat !!  Holy Crap.. That is awesome"  he ordered one the next day.   "Gotta have one..."

one of the coolest things is  if you play while facing a wall, as sound bounces back to you off the wall,  it's very much like a surround sound kind of effect.  It's crazy.

I will definitely add the XBRACE to my J200    When we go away for long weekends vacations,  this is a "must pack" item.  (I always bring a guitar,, playing every day is not optional for me.)

Edited by kidblast

24 minutes ago, kidblast said:

I will definitely add the XBRACE to my J200    When we go away for long weekends vacations,  this is a "must pack" item.  (I always bring a guitar,, playing every day is not optional for me.)

That's hi praise, glad your liking it!

4 hours ago, uncle fester said:

That's hi praise, glad your liking it!

Agree,  I was not going there until I knew what installation of that was all about.  it's easy and harmless.

it sounds great on all my steel strings, but when I use it on my Taylor Nylon, something happens there and, dare I say, almost magical.. over all, once you "hook up"  it just takes you places you'd never go w/out it..

Hey KB - do you get added volume out of the amp, or is it just adding the FX?  

you can indeed get a little more volume but not enough to substitute for a regular acoustic amp.   have to be careful how you set things tho, you can bring it to overdrive (and not the good kind) pretty easily.