Gibson Brands Forums

J 185 Original demo

JuanCarlosVejar

It always seemed that Quinton was more of a Martin guy. Finally, as they try to relay the nature of the J-185, the truth comes out in this demo. Left a lot of it inside that guitar.

Sorry Paul didn't catch the bit of "A Day in the Life"- it did sound like that, but it also had chords that could've led to other guesses, too.

Would have been nice if they mentioned the J-185 is not only slightly smaller than the J-200 but also a shorter scale. Guitar sounds really good in this demo though, glad they brought back the J-185.

Edited by Jalex

That's a great sounding guitar! Interestingly, you can tell that his right hand is more accustomed to the more forgiving dynamic range and response of a Martin...he gets better and better as the video goes on at taming the very touch-sensitive nature of the J185 (and Maple in general) but it's obvious that it puts him outside his comfort zone a bit as a player. 

Personally, when I got my first SJ200 way back in the mists of 2004ish, I found that the more demanding aspects of Maple really made me work on my playing and improve myself as a picker...it just works that way as a tonewood. 

If I was in the market for a new guitar, the 185 Original would be right at the top of my audition list...thanks so much for the video, JC!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought there were some extra chords in "A Day In the Life". I was about to grab my reading glasses, magnifying glass and the Beatles complete songbook and figure out what I've been missing.

He's stated he was a Martin guy before, if I'm not mistaken. Might have been one of those blind-fold videos.

Anyhow, on the guitar, I thought it was familiar sounding overall, I guess due to having an SJ-200 and a Taylor Maple(to a smaller extent). It seemed to me like the 185's sustained sound got out of the way quicker than my 200's does.