Gibson Brands Forums

Folk Song on 1942 LG-1 Banner

tpbiii

I really don't have too many recordings of my 1942 LG-1 -- neither class of demo musicians were particularly interested in it (folk or bluegrass).  It was a pawn shop guitars from Dalton GA.  We used it for finger picked folk materials, but mostly I used other Banners for that -- 43 and 44 J-45 and 43 SJ.  Well I was wandering through some old practice videos from 2011, and I found a session where I had used that guitar.  At that time, there was camera audio and a separate recorded audio -- so to get the best audio, you needed to splice in the non-camera sound.  Well since it was practice, I never did that.  But since it would cool to have some more authentic sound on video, I went ahead and did one.  This is a folk revival song, and I only remember once we ever performed it on stage -- I mean it is definitely not bluegrass.

Anyway here it is.

gFz6pnG.jpg5pVqFDi.jpg

Edited by tpbiii
  • Thanks 1

Tom, I hate to break it to you but the guitar is only incidental to me.,  It is your finger picking which floors me..  Damn Brother I attack a guitar like a starving man having a corned beef sandwich placed in front of him..  Keeping it clean is not one of my stronger points.

• Like 1

Tom, that was really wonderful! Your picking was really great there. Are you using fingerpicks as well as a thumbpick there? If so, are they plastic or metal?

I have recently been revisiting a lot of those songs we used to sing in the early/mid 60s when some of us we were in college. They are still keepers.

Metal finger picks and plastic thumb pick.  It is the same setup I use for Scruggs style banjo.  Most of my recording was acoustic -- the same systems I used to demo vintage guitars.

Even though Aina Jo and I made a big move toward bluegrass, we always kept doing folk materials, although it did evolve over time.  We really recorded a lot of duos and small jams -- mostly to see and hear what the sound was like.  Now that she is gone, I am really glad to have them.  I have many hundreds. 

I one point we decided to record a lot of our folk materials.  It was easy because the system had no moving parts - just play and sing.  I am really glad we did.  Even though Aina Jo played a lot of bass and sang a lot of harmony in her later years, she had a wonder folk revival voice and guitar style.

Best,

-Tom

• Like 1

bill,   you're very lucky to have shared music with your wife, and to have recordings.  I made the probie mistake, on our honeymoon, of offering constructive criticism to my wife's singing.  We were married in early '71  and both brought our guitars on our mid-winter honeymoon in mountains in Cashiers, NC.  .  That ended any possibility of our becoming the USA's version of Ian & Sylvia.  

bill,   you're very lucky to have shared music with your wife, and to have recordings.  I made the probie mistake, on our honeymoon, of offering constructive criticism to my wife's singing.  We were married in early '71  and both brought our guitars on our mid-winter honeymoon in mountains in Cashiers, NC.  .  That ended any possibility of our becoming the USA's version of Ian & Sylvia.

Yea, we wanted to be Ian and Sylvia.  The embarrassing part is I wanted to be Sylvia!😎

We did a lot of their stuff, and even later took it into bluegrass jams and shows.  Here is their first song, their last song, and our most useful Nova Scotia song.

GIBSON CONTENT

The first video uses a 1931 Gibson L-2 with gold sparkle trim -- one of the best sounding guitar in the world IMHO.😄
The other two use the 62 Hummingbird -- an extraordinary acoustic recording guitar.

Be safe,
-Tom

• Thanks 1